How do I best calculate my reviewing/proofreading capacity per day?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:24
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2010

How do I best calculate my reviewing/proofreading capacity and rates?

I've done two translation projects for the same translation agency now that involved new words, fuzzy matches and repeat words. My translation capacity is 4,000 new words/day.

Compared to this (4,000 new translated words per day), how much is minimum and maximum of words that it possible to review or proofread each day? I presume reviewing would be a lower number as it would involve checking source ag
... See more
How do I best calculate my reviewing/proofreading capacity and rates?

I've done two translation projects for the same translation agency now that involved new words, fuzzy matches and repeat words. My translation capacity is 4,000 new words/day.

Compared to this (4,000 new translated words per day), how much is minimum and maximum of words that it possible to review or proofread each day? I presume reviewing would be a lower number as it would involve checking source against target, compared to proofreading which only involves checking target text for spelling errors etc.
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
2000/6000 ratio Oct 21, 2010

Is the standard at a large agency client of mine (2000 words of translation/day, 6000 words of editing/day. Editing involves comparing source and target, of course).

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 10:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
It depends Oct 21, 2010

It depends on the subject matter and quality of translation under review. In my opinion, there is no rigid number. However, it has been a practice by certain companies/translators that one can review a bigger number of words (at 50%) than he/she can translate. For example, if you can translate X words/day, so you can review X+50%/day. Finally, as mentioned above, it depends on the subject matter and quality of translation.

If you want to calculate it, give it a try and see, but the
... See more
It depends on the subject matter and quality of translation under review. In my opinion, there is no rigid number. However, it has been a practice by certain companies/translators that one can review a bigger number of words (at 50%) than he/she can translate. For example, if you can translate X words/day, so you can review X+50%/day. Finally, as mentioned above, it depends on the subject matter and quality of translation.

If you want to calculate it, give it a try and see, but the result shall apply only to such type/quality of translation that you gave it a try. By the time, you can come up with an average.

[Edited at 2010-10-21 05:53 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your definition of proofreading Oct 21, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
I presume reviewing would be a lower number as it would involve checking source against target, compared to proofreading which only involves checking target text for spelling errors etc.

It seems that your definition of "proofreading" is "a light edit". This is a very common definition out there, but it is not always the definition of the client. After all, the original meaning of "proof reading" (galley proof reading) is to compare and synchronise two texts in two different formats.

When a client requests a "proofreading" alone, my assumption is that they do want me to compare the two languages' texts. When a client wants "proofreading" along with "translation" or with "translation and editing", then my assumption is that they want me to compare the final file (often in PDF) against either the final translation or against the original file, to check for gross meaning errors.

My own translation speed is between 400 and 800 words per hour, and my own reviewing speed is between 1200 and 2000 words per hour. Does that help?

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 10:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Your definition of proofreading Oct 21, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

When a client requests a "proofreading" alone, my assumption is that they do want me to compare the two languages' texts. When a client wants "proofreading" along with "translation" or with "translation and editing", then my assumption is that they want me to compare the final file (often in PDF) against either the final translation or against the original file, to check for gross meaning errors.

My established understanding for “proofreading” is to fix grammatical & spelling mistakes and sometimes formatting before printing target language (source language has nothing to do with this). As for editing, it means reviewing and editing target language in view of source language.

However, such understanding differs sometimes from client to another. Therefore, it is questionable and it is better to refer to client to get clarification.