Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:13
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2010

Hi,

I have got Trados but not much experience with it. I received a file to proofread along with an Excel file including terminology and it appeared that the agency requires me to proofread the unclean file in Trados (something I haven't done before) and update the memory. I explained the agency that I haven't got experience with this and they asked me to proofread the clean file... If I am going to do this I may as well do it the right way but how to proofread the unclean file and update the memory?

Could anyone advise or reffer me to a link?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2010-12-06 21:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:13
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Start on paper... Dec 7, 2010

I assume you also have the source text available. If not, you should preferably get it from the client.
I find it easiest to print out the file and start on paper.

I am also assuming you have Translator's Workbench when you say Trados, and know the basics of translating a segment at a time and then cleaning up the document afterwards.

Note the time! You will need to know for invoicing how long you spend on the job.

1. Print out the uncleaned file.
This will in practice give you the target text, without all the codes and source sentences. Mark this up with a red pen, or in any other way that suits you, until you are satisfied with the result. Check against the source, and check terminology against the Excel file, etc. or whatever you need to do.

2. Take a backup of the uncleaned file and possibly the TM as well.

3. Start Trados and open the TM.

4. Open the uncleaned file you are working on (in Word).

I find it easiest to hide the codes and open the segment when I make corrections **, but officially you are supposed to work with the source and codes visible as well.

Either way, you must take care not to disturb any codes when you make corrections.

5. Open the segment where you want to make the first correction, (with the cursor in the segment in Word, press Alt + Home).
You will see the source and target in the Workbench window, and the text segment will be highlighted in green or possibly yellow in Word.

6. Make your correction(s) in this field, and you cannot damage the codes.

7. Close the segment by pressing Alt + End.
This will also update that segment in the TM.

8. Place the cursor where you want to make the next correction, and repeat steps 5 - 8 until you reach the end of the document.

9. Save a backup of the corrected text, and then clean up the whole document.
(Tools, then Clean up, in Workbench).

There are some options in the Clean Up dialogue box, so check the right ones!
You have to choose to update the TM, and leave the document unchanged.
This will update the TM with all the segments in the document, including those you have not corrected, if they were not already there.

10. Send the TM and files to the client.

To hide the source in Word, click Options, Settings, View/Show.

Right in the middle of the dialogue box, you will see a box by ´Hidden Text´.
Remove the tick from that box, and you will see only the target text in Word.

To see the source etc. temporarily, click the "show whitespace" sign (the reversed P thingy) - and it will all reappear.

Or else tick the box to show hidden text again.

Do not use Track Changes when you make your corrections - Trados will not work!

It is not very difficult, but takes practice.

Best of luck!

Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Trados Dec 7, 2010

Hi Silvina,

The agency sent you the unclean file so you would open the segments with Trados in order to update their TM with your proofreading/editing changes. Just open the file with Word and then click on the paragraph mark to show the source/target segments. Set the cursor inside the tags (on the beginning of the sentence/segment), and press Alt+Home to open it. Edit the segment and when you finish press Ctrl++ to open the next segment. The reason they sent you the Excel file with terminology (Glossary) perhaps means they want you to use it with MultiTerm. This way you'll have real-time access to the approved terminology. Hope it helps.

Best,
Daniel

Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 7, 2010

Thank you so much both of you! It is now all done and submitted...so much more to learn...:)

Have a wonderful day!

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Proofreading with no record of changes? Dec 7, 2010

I haven't done this yet but I do a lot of proofreading so it's bound to crop up sometime. I'm really surprised to learn that there is no easy trace of what has been changed. I suppose your ID is on each updated TU but how else do they know what you changed (and why)?

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:13
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can use Track changes on a separate file Dec 7, 2010

I have on occasions used Track Changes on a separate file.

Then you take a copy of that, accept the changes and turn off Track Changes.
You can use the file with the accepted changes to update the TM etc.

That is quite feasible, as long as you remember all the steps.

[Edited at 2010-12-07 14:14 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Confident Trados users Dec 7, 2010

Knowing that the Trados codes are nowhere but at the beginning and ending of each source and target sentence, what I do is I make the changes without opening the sentences, and then do a fuzzy translation so every segment changed is rewritten to the memory. I find this easier and faster, you just have to be careful about the codes, but so far I have never messed them up. I have never tried it in Excel but I do not see why it would not work the same.

To keep track of proofreading changes (and as evidence of corrections if the client requested it), when working in Word:
Open the unclean file
Save As the unclean file as "filexxx with changes visible"
Activate Track changes
Make all changes (it can be done with reveal codes activated in case one is afraid of messing the Trados codes)
Save the file and also
Save As "filexxx edited"
Accept all the changes in "filexxx edited"
Run Fuzzy Translation on "filexxx edited" to update the TM.

The final result is an updated TM; one unclean, edited file (filexxx edited); and one unclean file with tracked changes (filexxx with changes visible). I do not work a lot with Excel files but, except for the track changes part, I am sure one could come up with something similar.

I see that Christine does the same.

[Edited at 2010-12-07 14:38 GMT]

Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TM updating on the fly? Dec 8, 2010

I am being asked to proofread a large translated document that had a significant percentage of repetitions in the source file. Now, they want me to give them a discount on proofreading, based on repetition percentage. I have done smaller projects that had some repetitions in them, and I've noticed that during the proofreading process I had to edit the same segments over and over again. Is there a way to make Trados update the segments once edited and replace them going forward if it is a 100% match?

[Edited at 2010-12-08 15:22 GMT]

Michael Moskowitz  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
TM updating on the fly? Dec 8, 2010

I am being asked to proofread a large translated document that had a significant percentage of repetitions in the source file. Now, they want me to give them a discount on proofreading, based on repetition percentage. I have done smaller projects that had some repetitions in them, and I've noticed that during the proofreading process I had to edit the same segments over and over again. Is there a way to make Trados update the segments once edited and replace them going forward it it is a 100% match?

Maggie McCloskey  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
Is there some way to isolate the translated segments for my own review before handing in my translat Jun 19, 2015

Hi,

Does anyone know how to isolate the segments I just translated in Studio 2014 so that I only have to proofread them and not wade through all the matches? I know Transit NXT has this feature, and I would find it really helpful with large files to just review the segments I translated.

Thanks for any ideas you come up with.
Maggie

@Analia_Garcia  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proofreading in Trados Aug 29

Hi,

I have been requested to proofread in Trados. Here follows the PM's instructions:

"I have attached the original package and the return package. Please work in Trados with Track Changes activated and send me a return package."

I received those files (sdlrpx and sdlppx) but I do not know how to do it. Do I have to work on Trados or Word?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in Trados

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search