Thread poster: Hannele Marttila

Hannele Marttila  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
Member (2011)
Finnish to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2011

Anybody have any experience of rates in this area? (http://www.badlanguage.net/translation-vs-transcreation) Hourly rate seems best, but this is really creative work... fitting say a strapline in one language to another, keeping the general gist of the original intact while creating a culturally apt alternative.
Any ideas??
hannele

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
An overall price Mar 16, 2011

I prefer to quote an overall price based on an hourly rate, but adjusted to take account of the end use and potential value to the client.

For one client I boiled this down to a per-word rate. Over a series of press releases, the proportion of straight text to strap-line was pretty constant, so this posed no problem. But clients do need to understand that not all words have the same value.

Alison

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:11
English to German
+ ...
I don't understand the "but" Mar 16, 2011

hannelekristina wrote:
Hourly rate seems best, but this is really creative work...

I don't see how "hourly" and "creative" are supposed to contradict each other. Hourly rates for freelance copywriters start at three digit dollar rates per hour - if the copy is written and developed from scratch. For transcreation I usually charge a flat fee for each project. It is nearly impossible to measure creativity by rate per word.

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-03-16 17:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcreation rates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search