https://www.proz.com/forum/proofreading_editing_reviewing/210239-french_translation_of_chemical.html

French translation of chemical
Thread poster: STAR7
STAR7
STAR7
United States
Local time: 13:48
English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2011

We are translating the English "hydrocholoride" as "chlorhydrate" in French. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct translation for this chemical? If not, can you provide the correct translation.

Thanks!

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
* Oct 19, 2011

Fred Meinberg wrote:

We are translating the English "hydrocholoride" as "chlorhydrate" in French. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct translation for this chemical? If not, can you provide the correct translation.

Thanks!

Most probably it's the same. But what term they are using in French?

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Correct Oct 19, 2011

Dear Fred,
the translation is correct. I'm a chemist and I know both English and French (only for your info).

Silvia

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hydrochloride of what? Oct 19, 2011

Hydrochloride of what?
Something is missing.

(OK, I see a chemist replied, so never mind... But isn't there's a component missing before we can talk about "this chemical"?)

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-19 21:03 GMT]

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hydrochloride of what Oct 19, 2011

Dear Joakim,
it doesn't matter of what. The name in general is translated in French as chlorydrate.

Anthi Kotsiliou
Anthi Kotsiliou  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
English to Greek
+ ...
chlorhydrate de Oct 20, 2011

The preposition "de" is necessary after chlorhydrate: English "X Hydrochloride" becomes "chlorhydrate de X" in french

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:48
English to French
+ ...
Termium Oct 20, 2011

For names of chemicals (English-French), I generally trust Termium http://termium.gc.ca/

Jean-Pierre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French translation of chemical

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »