Thread poster: Suzan Hamer

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:12
English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2012

From the Chicago Manual of Style website:

Q. How do you recover from a real proofreading blooper—the kind that has everyone in gales and is terribly embarrassing?

A. Naturally, we have very little experience with this. Is there absolutely no way to blame it on someone else? If not, you probably should keep a low profile until it blows over. Lucky for you, proofreaders automatically have a fairly low profile.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/Documentation/Documentation07.html

Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:12
German to English
+ ...
I saw this too Feb 13, 2012

and I thought it was hilarious.

Unfortunately, the part about having a low profile might save you from being constantly reminded by others, but it won't keep you from "revisiting" the scene of the crime a thousand times in your memory.
Not that I have had a real blooper, but for a perfectionist, every mistake is embarrassing.

Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Recommended reading: the Revision Fairy Aug 24, 2012

I've recently come across a site by Stefanie Flaxman, a.k.a. "Revision Fairy".
I enjoy the Revision Fairy's writings, from grammar to running a small business to heartbreak, and I can certainly appreciate her take on reviewing text:
"It’s a pain to review text that already makes sense to you."
icon_wink.gif

As an example of real-life editorial challenges, I'll quote from her recent article on comma usage.

"Commas are one of the most challenging punctuation marks to write about for the same reason that there are countless pages about them in the Chicago Manual of Style: their use is extremely contextual.
Reviewing a sentence, and sometimes even an entire paragraph, is necessary to determine whether a comma is needed or not.

That being said, I do have some simple thoughts on comma usage.

View commas as symbols that provide guidance and clarity for the reader.

Comma overuse
occurs when a reader doesn’t actually need to pause; the superfluous comma disrupts the sentence.

Commas are needed to assist with comprehension when clauses run together.

http://revisionfairy.com/small-business-writing-consultant/2012/07/17/when-to-use-a-comma/

Enjoy your weekend and happy reading!

[Edited at 2012-08-25 00:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A little proofreader's humor

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search