Iuliana Bozkurt  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:49
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
May 30, 2012

Hello everyone,

over the last couple of days I was involved in a project which became quite strange in the end. I am sure I am not the only one who faced a similar issue and maybe you could share some similar experiences, as I am not quite sure how to handle this kind of situations in the future.

Briefly, I had a 100 page document, out of which only 10 pages were new words, approx. 85 pages were 100% matches and about 5-6 pages were fuzzy matches. The 100% and the fuzzy matches had been previously translated by someone else and I can say that the text was quite messy (untranslated words, poor grammar, spelling errors etc.).

I received a special indication to use the legacy (not standard) set of characters in the translation process. I used that set, I translated the new words, checked the fuzzy matches and corrected the most flagrant mistakes & ran the spell checker in the 100% matches. OK... I delivered the document.

Now, today, the client came and asked me to replace all standard characters with legacy ones. Unfortunately, in tag editor we all know what find and replace means: find next/open the segment/replace all/close the segment/find next and so on so forth. For more than 5000 translation units, this is Sisyphus work (approx. 5000 ș-s and 7500 ț-s to find and replace - plus, the difference is very small: ș and ş, ț and ţ - invisible unless you run find and replace). I refused to do it for free. I said it is time consuming and that I would expect a payment for that, especially since I used only the legacy characters and the standard ones were the ''masterpiece'' of the previous messy translator.

The client got upset, he said that ''the rate he paid for 100% matches included proofreading''. And he also said that ''nevermind, I ran a find and replace and I no longer need you to do it for me, thank you for the effort''.

Now, my question would be: do you think this extra activity (find and replace) can be part of the 100% match fee? Personally, I do not think so. Translating is one thing, proofing others' work is another.

And secondly: am I a complete novice and, indeed, there is a miracle find and replace solution for tag editor? Like in word, to find and replace 1000 signs in 5 seconds? If so, I would very much appreciate if you could share the ''secret'' with meicon_smile.gif

Thank you for reading my long post and hopefully you can help me solve this dilemmaicon_smile.gif

Iuliana

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:49
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Find and replace + payment for 100% matches May 30, 2012

Hi Iuliana,

If you have received payment for 100% matches, it's part of your job to (proof)read them and adapt to the current translation, if need be. If the client requested that the legacy characters be used - you should have either confirmed that they want to adapt the matches or just do it. Obviously, if adapting the 100% matches was very time consuming when translating, you could have asked for a higher rate or some surcharge. If you get paid for 100% matches, you are responsible for the quality of all the text, unless the client expressly wishes NOT to edit them in any way.

As for find and replace - TTX files are basically XML, so you can open them in Notepad++ (as an example, other pieces of software also possible) and just do a mass find and replace of whatever you need.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,
Michał

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:49
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
The "miracle" solution you're looking for: May 30, 2012

In TE,
Tools>Options>Protection> ~ under "Document Protection", uncheck the first check box "protect document".
F>R all
When done, Translate to Fuzzy to make sure that the changes are saved in the TM.

I suffered for ages until I found that somewhere in the fora!

HTH

[Edited at 2012-05-30 16:21 GMT]

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Lack of communication? May 30, 2012

Normally, if I am paid for 100% matches, it is expected that I proofread the entire text.
Occasionally, a client doesn't want to pay for 100% matches, then I don't touch them.

Probably your client expected you to proofread everything and make changes according to their wishes. They maybe should have spelled it out in advance, but in my experience, this is usually expected.

However, I think the biggest problem is your lack of communication with the client. If you get a translation project with a fair amount of 100% matches based on a TM with dubious quality, you should inform the client about this as soon as you realize this, let them decide whether you should fix everything - at a higher rate, of course - or do only what in your opinion would be covered by that initially agreed-on rate.

Your ultimate goal should ideally be to deliver a high-quality translation. If the received TM sucks, you cannot do this, and this issue needs to communicated to and addressed by the client asap.

Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent May 31, 2012

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

In TE,
Tools>Options>Protection> ~ under "Document Protection", uncheck the first check box "protect document".
F>R all
When done, Translate to Fuzzy to make sure that the changes are saved in the TM.

I suffered for ages until I found that somewhere in the fora!

HTH

[Edited at 2012-05-30 16:21 GMT]

Thank you very much for this great solution! You made my dayicon_smile.gif I really thought there was no possibility to run find and replace in tag editor! I owe you a beer (or a lemonade)icon_smile.gif

Romania
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 31, 2012

Thank you all for the very valuable insight you provided. I think I am going to explain the situation to the client and hopefully we shall have a better communication in the future. Indeed, communication is everything, as Heike pointed out.
Have a great day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzling situation

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search