Ekaterina Vashurina
Ekaterina Vashurina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2014

Dear all,

help me, please, I am asked to review the document but do not know what is the standard price per word. Document is transkated from English into Russian. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Per hour Sep 3, 2014

Dear Ekaterina,

regardless of the language combination, proofreading assignments should always be charged by the hour. And each translator has her or his own hourly rate, thus a standard rate doesn't really exist.

If you charge a per-word rate and the text needs some serious rewriting (and yes, most of the time the customers expect that editing services are included in the proofreading rate), then you coul
... See more
Dear Ekaterina,

regardless of the language combination, proofreading assignments should always be charged by the hour. And each translator has her or his own hourly rate, thus a standard rate doesn't really exist.

If you charge a per-word rate and the text needs some serious rewriting (and yes, most of the time the customers expect that editing services are included in the proofreading rate), then you could face yourself with work time that you don't get paid for.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Thayenga
Collapse

Ekaterina Vashurina
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much!!! Sep 3, 2014

Dear Thayenga,

this really helps. Thank you!!!!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:32
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If they insist on a rate per word, a third of the rate for translation Sep 3, 2014

Some clients prefer a rate per word, as they can calculate it in advance.

A quarter to a third of the rate for translation is reasonable (from your point of view) for checking the that the target is linguistically correct and reads well, checking it against the source for accuracy, then giving it a final check

- provided it is a reasonable translation to begin with.

If you have to check terminology, you will need more time or a higher rate, and if
... See more
Some clients prefer a rate per word, as they can calculate it in advance.

A quarter to a third of the rate for translation is reasonable (from your point of view) for checking the that the target is linguistically correct and reads well, checking it against the source for accuracy, then giving it a final check

- provided it is a reasonable translation to begin with.

If you have to check terminology, you will need more time or a higher rate, and if you need to make a lot of corrections, add notes and fill in a QA form afterwards, that will take extra time too.

Some clients do not accept this - I have simply refused to work with one that sends a 12-point checklist with proofreading jobs, and then only pays for ten minutes to proofread 250 words... Their rates for longer documents are not much better.

You also need to define with the client precisely what THEY understand by proofreading.
There are dozens of ideas around about where proofreading becomes revising and editing, whether you are expected to check terminology, or whether you can trust the translator and should leave it alone, however strange it may look to you.

Don't let anyone tell you there is a 'standard rate', because there is really no such thing.

If they do not pay you realistically for your time, however they calculate it, then simply do not proofread for them.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So, so true! Sep 3, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:
You also need to define with the client precisely what THEY understand by proofreading.

It's so true even for monolingual proofreading, when they often expect you to improve the text rather than just make corrections. With bilingual work it's even more important to find this out.

My absolute rule is never to commit to any proofreading job until I've seen the text. Before that, all I can give them is my hourly rate. I've had jobs labelled "proofreading" that I've sailed through, processing as many as 5000 words per hour; and others where I've been hard-pressed to handle 500 words an hour. I also won't commit just after seeing a sample nowadays: I've seen too many texts that have started off good, and then gone downhill all the way to the end.

Fixing someone else's incompetent attempt at translation, for half their rate, is a far cry from correcting the odd typo, copy/paste mix-up or other little glitch.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Usually 1/2 of the translation rate. Sep 3, 2014

$0.03-0.05 for English to Russian, at least.

Ekaterina Vashurina
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks!!!!! Sep 6, 2014

Dear Christine, Sheila, Lilian,

thank you very-very much! Your comments were really helpful. And my client is pleased.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how much is the standard price for proofreadring/reviewing Eng-Rus per word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »