Thread poster: birdfree
reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 00:01
Arabic to English
+ ...
As per ISO 17100:2015 Oct 3, 2019

The international standard ISO 17100 defines the concepts related to translation workflow. It doesn’t mention editing but it defines, among others, the following:

2.2.5 check: examination of target language content carried out by translator

2.2.6 revision: bilingual examination of target language content against source language content for its suitability for the agreed purpose.

2.2.7 review: monolingual examination of target language content for its s
... See more
The international standard ISO 17100 defines the concepts related to translation workflow. It doesn’t mention editing but it defines, among others, the following:

2.2.5 check: examination of target language content carried out by translator

2.2.6 revision: bilingual examination of target language content against source language content for its suitability for the agreed purpose.

2.2.7 review: monolingual examination of target language content for its suitability for the agreed purpose.

2.2.8 proofread: examine the revised target language content and applying corrections before printing

In a company I work for, they define editing as follows:

One on one in-depth contextualized review of target language to create or rewrite high impact output.

On my opinion, I agree with recommendation to ask clients what is exactly they mean or expect.
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Timeline? Oct 3, 2019

Sushan Harshe wrote:

In my opinion, this all is same...no difference.. 25 years ago we were doing the same when we were working in printing press called it editing, 15 years ago we called it proofreading and in KPO we started calling it review/Q.A.
http://sushanhar.blogspot.in/2014/07/normal-0-false-false-false-en-in-x-none_24.html
Regards,
Sudarshan

Really? Over 30 years ago, when I worked in the Editorial department of the British Veterinary Association, I did proofreading, but not editing. Editing was done first and involved ensuring that the papers being published were ethical, important enough to warrant publication, made sense, didn't contain errors of fact or theory and were well-expressed and literate. Though editors would correct errors of spelling or punctuation if they saw them, that was secondary and not what they were concentrating on. I was far too lowly to do editing, but I did read manuscripts when they came in before sending them to the Editor with a general note.

I seem to recall that we did a quick proofread before sending typescripts to the printers; however, the main proofreading was when we got the galley proofs from the printers. When possible, we proofread in pairs, with one person reading aloud and we needed to switch off the sense-noticing function in our brains, in order to concentrate on spelling, spacing and punctuation and to see what was actually printed and not let our minds fill in what should be there. There was a final reading for sense after proofreading because, when in the proofreading mindset, it would have been easy not to notice that a line of text had been omitted (such errors were extremely rare as we used very good printers).

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I remember those days... Oct 3, 2019

B D Finch wrote:

I was far too lowly to do editing, but I did read manuscripts when they came in before sending them to the Editor with a general note.

I seem to recall that we did a quick proofread before sending typescripts to the printers; however, the main proofreading was when we got the galley proofs from the printers. When possible, we proofread in pairs, with one person reading aloud and we needed to switch off the sense-noticing function in our brains, in order to concentrate on spelling, spacing and punctuation and to see what was actually printed and not let our minds fill in what should be there. There was a final reading for sense after proofreading because, when in the proofreading mindset, it would have been easy not to notice that a line of text had been omitted (such errors were extremely rare as we used very good printers).

I worked for a while for a printer who printed patents for the Patent Office. I was called a proofreader's copyholder, because I was not officially trained to mark the proofs - my partner wielded the marker pen! But she taught me how to do it anyway.

I was very relieved when I managed to move on - when I came home after work and tried to read a book or a newspaper, sometimes I could barely remember what it was about, but I could tell you where there was a typing error or bad line break...

It was good experience, but it was NOT editing!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

difference between "editing" ,"proofreading"and "reviewing"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »