Pros and Cons of Free Editing Samples
Thread poster: Suzan Hamer

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:40
English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2015

There have been quite a few threads discussing whether or not to provide free translation samples.
Editors and proofreaders are also often asked to provide free samples.
I don't see why some of the points made in this article can't also apply to providing free translation samples.

http://sendgrid.com/wf/webmail?rp=ZTI1bGQzTnNaWFIwWlhKZmFXUTZNVEl6TkN4MWMyVnlYMmxrT2pJMU5qVTBmUWV5SnVaWGR6YkdWMGRHVnlYMmxrSWpvaU5UUTVNekkyTWlJc0ltNWxkM05zWlhSMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w5cFpDSTZNVEU0TXpnMk1qSXdPSDA9

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm sure they can Mar 3, 2015

Suzan Hamer wrote:
There have been quite a few threads discussing whether or not to provide free translation samples.
Editors and proofreaders are also often asked to provide free samples.
I don't see why some of the points made in this article can't also apply to providing free translation samples.

I've always treated most requests for samples (translation or editing) on a case by case basis. Of course, some just smell fishy and can be refused on the spot, but others get considered on their merits. I don't think it would be a good idea to have an "always" or a "never" rule for accepting a request for free samples.

I'd much rather spend an hour on a sample of my work than spend the same amount of time scanning in certificates from 30 years ago, defending my position on references, trying to find proof that I'm paying my taxes and social contributions etc.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pros and Cons of Free Editing Samples

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search