Alessandra Armenise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:40
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 14, 2016

Hello everybody,
When doing a revision of a translation do you use tables with both versions or add side comments? Or use other methods like edits tracking?

Thanks!

Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 18:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love tables Oct 14, 2016

If the client lets me, I like using tables. Fortunately, most of my clients like them too. But then I also use "track changes".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:40
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Track changes Oct 14, 2016

I use track changes wherever possible, and comments as well if relevant, especially if the client has commented and needs answers.
I deliver a 'RED' file with the changes visible and a ' CLEAN' file, in which all my changes have been accepted, comments removed, and 'Track changes' deactivated.

While working I often make deleted sections invisible, so that the text I can see is the final text, with additions marked in red. Then I change the setting to deletions crossed through
... See more
I use track changes wherever possible, and comments as well if relevant, especially if the client has commented and needs answers.
I deliver a 'RED' file with the changes visible and a ' CLEAN' file, in which all my changes have been accepted, comments removed, and 'Track changes' deactivated.

While working I often make deleted sections invisible, so that the text I can see is the final text, with additions marked in red. Then I change the setting to deletions crossed through before delivery.

That way clients can see what I have done, and reject or query changes if they want to, but there is a file ready for use immediately if they are happy with that.

I only use tables if I have the text in a PDF, or cannot use tracked changes, AND if I am paid by the hour: it is much more time consuming.
I tend to turn down that kind of job these days, because there is usually an extra table asking me to classify all the 'errors', and I find this kind of exercise is largely a waste of time.

Instead I prefer to make specific comments where appropriate. It is not helpful to tell a translator there is a serious error and three minor issues somewhere in the text and leave her to guess where. Far better to point them out and explain them! That is how I learnt from having my work checked!
Collapse

Alessandra Armenise
Alessandra Armenise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:40
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding tables Oct 14, 2016

If the client lets me, I like using tables.

Apparently, I need to use tables for this particular job! Do you make a simple 2 columns table yourself (or 3 for adding comments) or do you use any pre-existing templates?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revision table or comments?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »