Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:13
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

Dear ProZians

Many of us have started working in the language industry with the indispensable knowledge of languages, experience, use of CAT tools, good ideas, and clients ready to ask for our work.
And not too few are often in front of the evident fact that "a translation is not to be done by just one person". There is a saying that goes "four eyes see more than two". And, to say it plainly: a translation is no exception to the rule of that saying.

The spectrum o
... See more
Dear ProZians

Many of us have started working in the language industry with the indispensable knowledge of languages, experience, use of CAT tools, good ideas, and clients ready to ask for our work.
And not too few are often in front of the evident fact that "a translation is not to be done by just one person". There is a saying that goes "four eyes see more than two". And, to say it plainly: a translation is no exception to the rule of that saying.

The spectrum of activity is very important, and often misregarded. Especially for many professionals from countries where the speciality is not so well regulated and the sworn translator is implicitly supposed to do all the task by himself/herself.

The activity of people involved in the process immediately after the translation itself is done includes:
- editing
- correcting
- proofreading
- reviewing

And apart from bi-lingual correcting/editing... there is a whole lot of monolingual activity as well. "Proofreaders only", to name some: monolingual language teachers with no working knowledge of other languages, who work as proofreaders and even editors

This forum aims at all those activities - and maybe other similar ones too.

Discussions, suggestions and ideas welcome!
Collapse

Leanne Young
Leanne Young  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:13
Italian to English
proofreading or re-translation Oct 6, 2007

I have just turned down a proofreading job because the translation was so bad and it was not proofreading as much as retranslation. I wondered in fact if it had been translated in house and then sent on. I pointed this out to the agency and got a very blunt reply. Basically I think they realised the translation was bad and were trying to get a very cheap retranslation. I have been caught like this before and I don't really know how to handle these situations without offending agencies that have ... See more
I have just turned down a proofreading job because the translation was so bad and it was not proofreading as much as retranslation. I wondered in fact if it had been translated in house and then sent on. I pointed this out to the agency and got a very blunt reply. Basically I think they realised the translation was bad and were trying to get a very cheap retranslation. I have been caught like this before and I don't really know how to handle these situations without offending agencies that have offered me consistent work in the past.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Proofreading Forum

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »