Anchoring the page when using track changes
Thread poster: Steven F Smith

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Feb 23, 2008

When editing a word document (Word 2003) with track changes I often find it useful to switch between variously showing or hiding deletions. However this switch results in me losing my place and having to find it again by scrolling through the document. Actually what I usually do is copy a unique bit of text then use 'find' after the switch, but this is not ideal. Is there any way of simply locking the page I'm on to prevent this happening?

 

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
German to English
+ ...
one method Feb 23, 2008

Display the document in Normal view and select (mark) a phrase or sentence before changing the Highlight Changes on Screen setting under Highlight Changes. The marked text should remain displayed in the window after you change the setting (either direction).

Incidentally, if you use Wordfast this also works for showing or hiding hidden text without losing your place.


 

Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Danish to English
+ ...
finding text Feb 23, 2008

In editing, whenever I have to leave the space where I am at, I usually insert my initials. Then when continuing with the project, I "edit-find" my initials. That will take me to the exact spot where I left off. Of course, then remove the initials.

Suz


 

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
How simple! Feb 23, 2008

[quote]Ken Cox wrote:

Display the document in Normal view and select (mark) a phrase or sentence before changing the Highlight Changes on Screen setting under Highlight Changes.


It didn't occur to me to change from print layout view to normal view! Thanks. This solves the problem.


 

Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like this solution Feb 23, 2008

BLANGSTED wrote:

In editing, whenever I have to leave the space where I am at, I usually insert my initials. Then when continuing with the project, I "edit-find" my initials. That will take me to the exact spot where I left off. Of course, then remove the initials.

Suz


I like this solution, becuase I like working in page view, thanks:-)


 

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 14:13
German
+ ...
All too complicated! Feb 25, 2008

There's an even simpler solution in most cases:

Just make sure the blinking cursor is in the right spot before you change the view.
Then, afterwards, just press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Voilà! The view is re-centered on the spot the cursor is at.

Works for all view-changing operations I know (show/display hidden characters, show/hide changes, Normal/Page view, etc.)

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Obviously, this will not work if you need to move the cursor somewhere else, e.g. to edit a section of text. In this case, placing a comment at the spot you want to jump to later is probably the best option (you can use the buttons on the Reviewing toolbar to navigate between comments.) Acronyms might conflict with acronyms that are already in the document (and need to stay in).

[Edited at 2008-02-25 15:50]


 

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't you have to select text? Feb 25, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

There's an even simpler solution in most cases:

Just make sure the blinking cursor is in the right spot before you change the view.
Then, afterwards, just press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Voilà! The view is re-centered on the spot the cursor is at.

Works for all view-changing operations I know (show/display hidden characters, show/hide changes, Normal/Page view, etc.)

HTH,
Benjamin


This doesn't work for me for some reason. If I select some text first, then do what you say, it takes me to the right place, but simply placing the cursor doesn't work.


 

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 14:13
German
+ ...
Strange... Feb 25, 2008

Steven F Smith wrote:

This doesn't work for me for some reason. If I select some text first, then do what you say, it takes me to the right place, but simply placing the cursor doesn't work.

Hmmmm, I've been doing this for years in Word 2002/XP and I've never had that problem. Maybe you placed the cursor inside a section of text that is hidden after the switch?

Either way, just selecting something before changing the view and then pressing the arrow key is still faster than the other solutions, I guess.

B


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anchoring the page when using track changes

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search