Anchoring the page when using track changes
Thread poster: Steven F Smith
Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:04
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Feb 23, 2008

When editing a word document (Word 2003) with track changes I often find it useful to switch between variously showing or hiding deletions. However this switch results in me losing my place and having to find it again by scrolling through the document. Actually what I usually do is copy a unique bit of text then use 'find' after the switch, but this is not ideal. Is there any way of simply locking the page I'm on to prevent this happening?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
German to English
+ ...
one method Feb 23, 2008

Display the document in Normal view and select (mark) a phrase or sentence before changing the Highlight Changes on Screen setting under Highlight Changes. The marked text should remain displayed in the window after you change the setting (either direction).

Incidentally, if you use Wordfast this also works for showing or hiding hidden text without losing your place.

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:04
Danish to English
+ ...
finding text Feb 23, 2008

In editing, whenever I have to leave the space where I am at, I usually insert my initials. Then when continuing with the project, I "edit-find" my initials. That will take me to the exact spot where I left off. Of course, then remove the initials.

Suz

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
How simple! Feb 23, 2008

[quote]Ken Cox wrote:

Display the document in Normal view and select (mark) a phrase or sentence before changing the Highlight Changes on Screen setting under Highlight Changes.

It didn't occur to me to change from print layout view to normal view! Thanks. This solves the problem.

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like this solution Feb 23, 2008

BLANGSTED wrote:

In editing, whenever I have to leave the space where I am at, I usually insert my initials. Then when continuing with the project, I "edit-find" my initials. That will take me to the exact spot where I left off. Of course, then remove the initials.

Suz

I like this solution, becuase I like working in page view, thanks:-)

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
All too complicated! Feb 25, 2008

There's an even simpler solution in most cases:

Just make sure the blinking cursor is in the right spot before you change the view.
Then, afterwards, just press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Voilà! The view is re-centered on the spot the cursor is at.

Works for all view-changing operations I know (show/display hidden characters, show/hide changes, Normal/Page view, etc.)

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Obviously, this will not work if you need to move the cursor somewhere else, e.g. to edit a section of text. In this case, placing a comment at the spot you want to jump to later is probably the best option (you can use the buttons on the Reviewing toolbar to navigate between comments.) Acronyms might conflict with acronyms that are already in the document (and need to stay in).

[Edited at 2008-02-25 15:50]

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't you have to select text? Feb 25, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

There's an even simpler solution in most cases:

Just make sure the blinking cursor is in the right spot before you change the view.
Then, afterwards, just press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Voilà! The view is re-centered on the spot the cursor is at.

Works for all view-changing operations I know (show/display hidden characters, show/hide changes, Normal/Page view, etc.)

HTH,
Benjamin

This doesn't work for me for some reason. If I select some text first, then do what you say, it takes me to the right place, but simply placing the cursor doesn't work.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Strange... Feb 25, 2008

Steven F Smith wrote:

This doesn't work for me for some reason. If I select some text first, then do what you say, it takes me to the right place, but simply placing the cursor doesn't work.

Hmmmm, I've been doing this for years in Word 2002/XP and I've never had that problem. Maybe you placed the cursor inside a section of text that is hidden after the switch?

Either way, just selecting something before changing the view and then pressing the arrow key is still faster than the other solutions, I guess.

B

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anchoring the page when using track changes

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search