Peer grading: the answerer can rebut
Thread poster: eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2001

Well, now we have got it: you can respond to the grader(s) of your answer.

However, the system is still not perfect: the graders are still not mentioned by name, which results in a number of nasty and vicious comments.

Again, I\'d like to appeal to ProZ to show the names of the graders - if the grader and the answerer want to \"slug\" it out outside the ProZ site (ie, by e-mail), then let them; that\'s their problem and only between the two of them.
... See more
Well, now we have got it: you can respond to the grader(s) of your answer.

However, the system is still not perfect: the graders are still not mentioned by name, which results in a number of nasty and vicious comments.

Again, I\'d like to appeal to ProZ to show the names of the graders - if the grader and the answerer want to \"slug\" it out outside the ProZ site (ie, by e-mail), then let them; that\'s their problem and only between the two of them.

But for the sake of more civilized grade comments, I believe, it would be very beneficial to identify the graders.

It is alright to be \"stern\" in your comments, if the answer warrants it, but be civil about it (I always try, if I don\'t forget it, to put a little apology in there if there is enough room).

Also, grading an answer with \'0\' without posting a reason or comment is wrong. ProZ should disable this option (right now, you can post a grade without any comments by just entering a single space; surely, the system could be programmed in a way that such practice would no longer be possible - at least for as long as the grader can stay anonymous).
Collapse

asynge
asynge
Italy
Local time: 11:48
Italian to English
Jun 24, 2001

If I\'m not mistaken you\'re talking about points for right answers. I find this an undesirable feature of the site, over and above who does the grading. For example, a operson making a query may choose an answer which is not technically the best translation-wise but right for his/her particular task. In any case, there seems to be no accountability and, personally, to offer somebody a hand and then be awarded unasked for points is I think rather \'demeaning\' - it\'s certainly not what I call ... See more
If I\'m not mistaken you\'re talking about points for right answers. I find this an undesirable feature of the site, over and above who does the grading. For example, a operson making a query may choose an answer which is not technically the best translation-wise but right for his/her particular task. In any case, there seems to be no accountability and, personally, to offer somebody a hand and then be awarded unasked for points is I think rather \'demeaning\' - it\'s certainly not what I call help. Just my own thoughts on the matter. My suggestion for those who wish to give a hand and not have this points system thrust upon them there should be an option saying something like \'leave me out\' - Bye sandy
[addsig]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:48
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 24, 2001

Quote:

Again, I\'d like to appeal to ProZ to show the names of the [peer] graders

Done. Peer reviews will henceforth be accompanied by the names of the reviewers.

I will think about your suggestion, asynge.

Glenn Viklund
Glenn Viklund  Identity Verified
Albania
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2001

Excellent news!

This is certainly another step in the right direction. Unfortunately, there are some people here that are using this instrument for other things but those intended.

Henry, related to this I have another question; One would assume that any professional translator with some degree of integrity does not peer grade (other) answers where he/she themselves have given an answer. But in the communities where I am residing, this is nevertheless a
... See more
Excellent news!

This is certainly another step in the right direction. Unfortunately, there are some people here that are using this instrument for other things but those intended.

Henry, related to this I have another question; One would assume that any professional translator with some degree of integrity does not peer grade (other) answers where he/she themselves have given an answer. But in the communities where I am residing, this is nevertheless a frequent scenario.

Is it just not possible to remove this option? In other words, if you have given an answer, you cannot peer grade other answers to that same question, or to remove existing peer grades that have been done by someone giving an answer?

I agree that it is a bit ridiculous that this should be an issue in the first place, but some people here at ProZ are behaving without any kind of professional integrity.

Best Regards

Glenn Viklund \"twiddle\"
Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jun 24, 2001

Thank you, Henry. Yes, identifying the graders will improve this site - no doubt whatsoever.

I don\'t think we should do away with this option altogether: as suggested earlier by Henry, the grades may be used to award KudoZ points if the asker fails to do so.

But it is a step in the right direction.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2001

Sorry Glenn, I don\'t think the option to reply should be taken away from someone who has given an answer. It\'s happened to me that after I gave MY answer, someone came up with something better (I have my black holes, you know) and I had to tell the asker it was better - so I simply recommended the other answerer! This saved me the effort of a second posting and another e-mail in my mailbox. However, I DO understand that this option puts a certain despotic power in the hands of would-be kingmak... See more
Sorry Glenn, I don\'t think the option to reply should be taken away from someone who has given an answer. It\'s happened to me that after I gave MY answer, someone came up with something better (I have my black holes, you know) and I had to tell the asker it was better - so I simply recommended the other answerer! This saved me the effort of a second posting and another e-mail in my mailbox. However, I DO understand that this option puts a certain despotic power in the hands of would-be kingmakers and snipers. Turn off the reply option and ignore them.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Peer grading: the answerer can rebut

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »