Is it possible to correct glossary entries that are wrong?
Thread poster: tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 23:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2001

If this is covered somewhere else, please excuse the posting, but I honestly haven\'t seen anything on the subject.

Can the glossary be modified in cases where an obviously incorrect answer has been accepted by the asker and entered into the glossary? If so, what mechanisms are involved in this, i.e., who does it and how?

I know that the links provided in the terms help section will allow anyone who\'s interested in looking to see all of the postings m
... See more
If this is covered somewhere else, please excuse the posting, but I honestly haven\'t seen anything on the subject.

Can the glossary be modified in cases where an obviously incorrect answer has been accepted by the asker and entered into the glossary? If so, what mechanisms are involved in this, i.e., who does it and how?

I know that the links provided in the terms help section will allow anyone who\'s interested in looking to see all of the postings made regarding that term. However, if one only looks at the box on top with the original term and the accepted translation, it could prove misleading.

Would appreciate some insight on this. Thanks!
Collapse

ivw (X)
ivw (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2001

I\'ve been wondering myself, Cindy! Sometimes the only possible use of an answer chosen by the asker is to award a KudoZ point, nothing more; thus questioning the professionalism/competence of not only the asker but of the person posting such answer and of ProZ itself.

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2001

As the glossary is growing, and the number and type of persons accessing proz, the glossary correction problem is becoming paramount. It is not, of course, of easy solution. Who will do it and how?

We are discussing the point on the moderator list and it is being thrashed out so we hope to have news sometime soon.

Angela Arnone

Moderator it>eng

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2001

Hi Cindy & friends,

Personally, I don\'t enter context-dictated terms into the glossary, which might be one possible solution. Sometimes, we can\'t help awarding Kudoz to the best context (explained, of course) instead of the best dictionary answer. But sometimes I do get the feeling that the asker is not as informed as one would wish about the real meaning of the terms he asks. There is a comment option, I think we should use this more.

Zenny Sadlon
Zenny Sadlon
Local time: 16:30
English to Czech
+ ...
How about editing one's own answer posted in haste? Nov 9, 2001

It does not happen that often, but it would be nice to have the ability if it were not too much trouble for the system.

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another pearl Dec 26, 2001

\"Miranda rights\" has recently been entered into the glossary as \"direitos do miranda\". What the answerer conceived \"o miranda\" to be is anyone\'s guess.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Editing glossary entries Dec 27, 2001

Those who have a given number of points are entitled to edit glossary entries, the supposition being that those who have acquired a certain number of points have a certain level of skill and are competent enough to judge. This is not always the case and the most competent translator makes mistakes anyway. When an asker or answerer enters a term into the glossary, it is made clear that there is no obligation to enter the exact terms as asked/answered. If the context does make it very specific, t... See more
Those who have a given number of points are entitled to edit glossary entries, the supposition being that those who have acquired a certain number of points have a certain level of skill and are competent enough to judge. This is not always the case and the most competent translator makes mistakes anyway. When an asker or answerer enters a term into the glossary, it is made clear that there is no obligation to enter the exact terms as asked/answered. If the context does make it very specific, then when entering the term, I would suggest that either you specify the context in some way or that you move away from the context if it\'s too esoteric and make it as general as you can. Do not forget though that the context is often what makes a term difficult and so the compilation of a glossary which provides context is what makes its potential so great. I do understand fully your concern about erroneous entries. Unless each and every entry is monitored by people with sufficient knowledge of the languages and subject areas, then this problem will persist. As Angela has pointed out, this matter is currently being considered on the Moderators\' List. Any constructive suggestions would be welcomed!Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:30
Italian to English
+ ...
Re: Editing glossary entries Dec 27, 2001

I\'ve actually edited a couple of entries.

The entries I\'ve corrected are things that should have never been entered the way they were. Ex: there was an entry for \"pestaña\"

but whoever entered the term into the glossary put \"pestana with a tilde over the n\". Not very helpful. And just plain lazy.

R.

==

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to correct glossary entries that are wrong?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »