Thread poster: Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:49
German to Italian
+ ...
May 29, 2002

Since the Blue Board for agency rating has been created I (and many other colleagues, I suppose) have found it very useful for a quick consultation whenever I am approached by new outsourcers.

We are all aware of how tricky it can be to undertake an assignment - we all want to work, when a new agency contacts us we are over the moon (at least, I am it!) but there is also the constant fear - will they pay me, at the end of the day? ok for contracts, purchase orders, details and so on -
... See more
Since the Blue Board for agency rating has been created I (and many other colleagues, I suppose) have found it very useful for a quick consultation whenever I am approached by new outsourcers.

We are all aware of how tricky it can be to undertake an assignment - we all want to work, when a new agency contacts us we are over the moon (at least, I am it!) but there is also the constant fear - will they pay me, at the end of the day? ok for contracts, purchase orders, details and so on - the fear of not being paid increases proportionally to the commitment underwritten. And, unfortunately, we all know that there are people without any scruple who do not hesitate in giving all possible details and documents and so on, and then disappear with our translations and our money...

A few days ago a colleague of the EN>IT community had opened a thread about an agency in the UK which had behaved extremely badly with her - and Henry warned us that these discussions belong only to the Blue Board. I appreciate very much that Henry and the ProZ staff have made this very useful tool available, but I also think that not everybody goes all the time to look at the new entries, and it would be useful for all of us to be informed better and with more details about negative experiences, and how to react to them - in other words, to have a broader discussion about the matter, that is very important for all of us.

I would like to know the opinion of the colleagues on this matter. In addition to the Blue Board, could it be possible to open maybe a new Forum, where one can exchange these information and discuss them with more details?

Ciao, Gilda
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:49
SITE FOUNDER
the blue board is a quick reference, not a complete solution May 29, 2002

Open discussion lists existed before ProZ.com. ProZ.com was created to give people a structured *supplement* to those lists.

There are several open \"rating\" discussion boards of the type you suggest. Two are maintained by ProZ.com members:

http://www.tcrlist.com

Transpayment at www.topica.com.

... See more
Open discussion lists existed before ProZ.com. ProZ.com was created to give people a structured *supplement* to those lists.

There are several open \"rating\" discussion boards of the type you suggest. Two are maintained by ProZ.com members:

http://www.tcrlist.com

Transpayment at www.topica.com.

We don\'t want to reinvent the wheel, or duplicate efforts, so we recommend people make use of these or others. The Blue Board is not supposed to be a complete solution. It is just supposed to be a quick reference, used in the way you have.
Collapse

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation Credit Report Center May 29, 2002

That is an excellent idea. Proz could create a page with data base, where the bad experiences could be entered and one would check the status of a particular client before the translator engages in the work. They could even charge for this service. The sort of thing that mortgage brokers and real state agents and banks do. That would serve to straighten out a lot of people and it would save agravations from both sides.It happened to me I translated a piece for a client and he refused to pay me. ... See more
That is an excellent idea. Proz could create a page with data base, where the bad experiences could be entered and one would check the status of a particular client before the translator engages in the work. They could even charge for this service. The sort of thing that mortgage brokers and real state agents and banks do. That would serve to straighten out a lot of people and it would save agravations from both sides.It happened to me I translated a piece for a client and he refused to pay me. I was lucky that I could stop the final product in time, before he actually received it. That was a 55,000 word book. Anyway, I think that either Proz or someone else could create, something like this. Just an idea!Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:49
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot May 29, 2002

for your kind and prompt comment and for the indication. Far from thinking of reinventing the wheel - I wanted just to make it more efficient, because I had thought that keeping these discussions inside ProZ for ProZ members would have saved us the time necessary for jumping from a mailing list to another.

Gilda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board for agency rating and warning to translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »