Thread poster: swisstell
swisstell
swisstell
Italy
Local time: 16:17
German to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2002

Today we had another case of 2 translators giving exactly the same answer. Antipecho in Spanish = parapet in English. I in the USA was 3 minutes ahead of a colleague in Brazil (the asker is in Argentina). The Brazilian colleague did not see my reply as is often the case when things happen within minutes; therefore no fault of his. To the contrary, when he - not me - got the KudoZ awarded, he tried to pass them on. Now if that is not a fair player! KudoZ to you, Antonio Costa!

I bring t
... See more
Today we had another case of 2 translators giving exactly the same answer. Antipecho in Spanish = parapet in English. I in the USA was 3 minutes ahead of a colleague in Brazil (the asker is in Argentina). The Brazilian colleague did not see my reply as is often the case when things happen within minutes; therefore no fault of his. To the contrary, when he - not me - got the KudoZ awarded, he tried to pass them on. Now if that is not a fair player! KudoZ to you, Antonio Costa!

I bring this up (again) not because of a few points but because fairness ought to prevail, not regionalism or nationalism or any such tendencies. We are an international community here and yet, the same unfair treatment has now been observed half a dozen times. If the answer is Apple to Apple comparison, the only valid criterium ought to be the element of time which can clearly be seen on the screen.

e-rich
Collapse

Antonio Costa (X)
Antonio Costa (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ride Paggliacio. You made me cry. Jun 23, 2002

Today, as I was tryng to answer questions which I think I know, I noticed that my 12-year old, white, blue-eyed cat,my faithful companion for 12 years (he sleeps all day long beside the monitor) kept staring at me fixedly,sadly, in a strange, inquisitive way, as he had never done before, as if saying \"farewell (hasta siempre).

After lots of tests at te Vet., there came the result today. My cat has kind of AIDS and is going to die soon.

This is why I am very sad
... See more
Today, as I was tryng to answer questions which I think I know, I noticed that my 12-year old, white, blue-eyed cat,my faithful companion for 12 years (he sleeps all day long beside the monitor) kept staring at me fixedly,sadly, in a strange, inquisitive way, as he had never done before, as if saying \"farewell (hasta siempre).

After lots of tests at te Vet., there came the result today. My cat has kind of AIDS and is going to die soon.

This is why I am very sad today.

Ride Pagcliaccio.

Antonio Costa

Collapse

Esther Hermida
Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
HA? Jun 24, 2002

What does a cat dying has to do with this?

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for you and your cat, Antonio. Jun 24, 2002

Although a bit puzzled about this entering this Forum, I know exactly how you feel. A stray cat which I took on and which stayed with me for years also said a very definite good-bye which I only understood after finding her next day dead from Leukemia. Take solace in the fact that regionalism has nothing to do whatsoever (and you were not accused of it, as you well know) when it comes to our feelings for our four-legged friends. Do like me, go to a shelter and adopt another cat.

... See more
Although a bit puzzled about this entering this Forum, I know exactly how you feel. A stray cat which I took on and which stayed with me for years also said a very definite good-bye which I only understood after finding her next day dead from Leukemia. Take solace in the fact that regionalism has nothing to do whatsoever (and you were not accused of it, as you well know) when it comes to our feelings for our four-legged friends. Do like me, go to a shelter and adopt another cat.

On 2002-06-23 23:58, abc&ffc wrote:

This is why I am very sad today.

Ride Pagcliaccio.

Antonio Costa

[/quote]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Ignorance / negligence rather than nationalism etc. Jun 24, 2002

In my experience these things happen (very rarely, well below 1% of all questions) out of unfamiliarity with the system or sometimes pure negligence rather than anything more condemnable.

Incidentally, the asker in the case in point is a new member who has just introduced herself, which is in itself a very nice gesture:
<
... See more
In my experience these things happen (very rarely, well below 1% of all questions) out of unfamiliarity with the system or sometimes pure negligence rather than anything more condemnable.

Incidentally, the asker in the case in point is a new member who has just introduced herself, which is in itself a very nice gesture:

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=30967&topic=3509&forum=24

So ease up (I know you already have) and recover your faith in humanity (or at least in ProZ ).
Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I also detect national preferences Jun 24, 2002

In my case, I see a clear reluctance to accept my answers in at least one of the SCs (which both geographically and lingustically, but not politically, happens to be very close) as opposed to, say, the Italian SC which I find very friendly and free from historical bias towards where I come from. (No wonder Italy is among the four member states most favourable to the UE enlargment, according to the latest Eurobarometer.) Ethnic preferences are part of human instinct. You can regulate them and ... See more
In my case, I see a clear reluctance to accept my answers in at least one of the SCs (which both geographically and lingustically, but not politically, happens to be very close) as opposed to, say, the Italian SC which I find very friendly and free from historical bias towards where I come from. (No wonder Italy is among the four member states most favourable to the UE enlargment, according to the latest Eurobarometer.) Ethnic preferences are part of human instinct. You can regulate them and you can learn how to be politically correct, but your instinct will remain an instinct. Instinctively, I try to care less.Collapse

Sonia Garrett (X)
Sonia Garrett (X)
Portuguese to English
Blame it on the Roman Empire Jul 30, 2002

Now stop whining and move on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regionalism and Nationalism shows through in KudoZ awards

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »