Job posting with select countries excluded - why?
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Aug 17, 2002

First of all, I must tell you that I think it\'s very funny and I don\'t feel offended by it, I really don\'t mind. But I think it\'s worth talking about.

We have seen some job offers just for Argentinian translators, and some of us have thought that it might be to take advantage of the economic situation.

BUT THIS !

http://www.proz.com/job?id=25444

English>Spanish
... See more
First of all, I must tell you that I think it\'s very funny and I don\'t feel offended by it, I really don\'t mind. But I think it\'s worth talking about.

We have seen some job offers just for Argentinian translators, and some of us have thought that it might be to take advantage of the economic situation.

BUT THIS !

http://www.proz.com/job?id=25444

English>Spanish

Transaltion on manufacture of cars. NO ARGENTINE, CHILEAN OR CUBAN TRANSLATORS.

I don\'t understand. It could be because of the Spanish spoke in these countries, but usually a translator knows the differences and takes them in consideration when translating. For that it\'s essential to know for which country the translation is.

And Cuban spoken Spanish has nothing to do with Argentinian or Chilean one (just in the spoken language).

I\'d like to understand, because if it was asked for \"Mexican translators\" or \"Colombian\" or anything else it would be less shocking.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-17 02:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-17 02:05 ]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Claudia Aug 17, 2002

I don´t understand either.

It would be very \"interesting\" to know why your country, mine and Cuba are excluded.

Cheers, Aurora

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree Aug 17, 2002

Hi Tayfun

Quote:

On 2002-08-17 12:09, 1964 wrote:

If outsourcers require spanish of only Spain or some spesific region, s/he should underline his/her preference accordingly, that would be less annoying.

That could be applied to all languages. That is, they had better say

Native speakers living in XXX, instead of

NO YYY nationals..

If not really intentionally done, at l... See more
Hi Tayfun

Quote:

On 2002-08-17 12:09, 1964 wrote:

If outsourcers require spanish of only Spain or some spesific region, s/he should underline his/her preference accordingly, that would be less annoying.

That could be applied to all languages. That is, they had better say

Native speakers living in XXX, instead of

NO YYY nationals..

If not really intentionally done, at least I can say the poster is tactless.

I fully agree, we are very used to this kind of specifications, and I think it\'s right.

And I think I\'d have understood if he had said \"No South American\" translators. But the difference he makes has no sense, that\'s why I try to understand.

Collapse

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 23:33
English to Spanish
Discrimination? Aug 17, 2002

Why make such a big movie about it? There are simply people who know how to express themselves and others who don´t. Obviously the one who placed this ad doesn´t.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting with select countries excluded - why?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »