Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 6, 2006

Hi,

I just checked the FAQ page and the forums to see if there is an answer to this, but I could not find anything, and I don't think (?) this is the kind of question for a support ticket.

I just noticed that a poll that had just been started yesterday, December 5 ( http://www.proz.com/topic/61016 ) was almost immediately changed today, December 6. That is a duration of almost 2
... See more
Hi,

I just checked the FAQ page and the forums to see if there is an answer to this, but I could not find anything, and I don't think (?) this is the kind of question for a support ticket.

I just noticed that a poll that had just been started yesterday, December 5 ( http://www.proz.com/topic/61016 ) was almost immediately changed today, December 6. That is a duration of almost 2 days.

But I also noticed that some polls can take even 5-6 days (such as http://www.proz.com/topic/60644 ).

Then I thought that maybe some polls take longer because they are not changed on weekends, but I noticed this is also the case (see http://www.proz.com/topic/57482 ).

I am just curious to know what the criteria is regarding the duration of polls, because in many cases I didn't make it on time to participate, as they are so quickly changed and I don't always have daily time to check the polls.

Regards,

Ivette

[Edited at 2006-12-06 17:36]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:45
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
About one day Dec 6, 2006

Hi Ivette,

In general we try to changed the poll daily, and sometimes we allow for some more time during the week end. Let's say that we have about 6 polls a week.

The poll you mention remained featured longer than usual because all our community office moved from La Plata to Montevideo to participate in the first powwow organized in Uruguay

Regards,
Enrique

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and one more question/comment Dec 6, 2006

Hola Enrique,

I hope you all had a nice time in Uruguay!

About your explanation, I take this opportunity to suggest not so many polls per week, as they might be interesting to follow and changing them so quickly might not give time for *everyone* to participate.

One last question/comment: I already submitted a support ticket about this, but I noticed this message was not posted in the Home page.

So I checked the FAQ and read that there is edito
... See more
Hola Enrique,

I hope you all had a nice time in Uruguay!

About your explanation, I take this opportunity to suggest not so many polls per week, as they might be interesting to follow and changing them so quickly might not give time for *everyone* to participate.

One last question/comment: I already submitted a support ticket about this, but I noticed this message was not posted in the Home page.

So I checked the FAQ and read that there is editorial control over which threads are published in the home page.

Has this message been considered "inappropriate" for the home page?

I hope this is not the case. Actually, I thought it could be useful for other community members to read its contents, as it has to do with specific information about a site feature.

Saludos,

Ivette

P.S.: Enrique, please disregard the above part about the "home page", as it seems my second message and the publishing of the message in the Home page happened at the same time.

[Edited at 2006-12-06 18:28]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Poll frequency Dec 6, 2006

Hola Ivette,

Montevideo was a wonderful event, very friendly and professional, and full of fun

Poll frequency is a tradeoff. As we receive lots of suggested polls (on average more than one per day) "one per day" criterion means leaving good suggestions unpublished.

If we changed our poll with longer intervals, there would be even less published polls per monts/year and more suggestions left u
... See more
Hola Ivette,

Montevideo was a wonderful event, very friendly and professional, and full of fun

Poll frequency is a tradeoff. As we receive lots of suggested polls (on average more than one per day) "one per day" criterion means leaving good suggestions unpublished.

If we changed our poll with longer intervals, there would be even less published polls per monts/year and more suggestions left unpublished.

The threads associated with quick polls are not shown in the front page because they are already announced in the poll's box. The same happened to this thread since it was published in the same section used for poll theads.

You did OK when you posted the issue as a support ticket, so as to allow us to correct the issue and make the thead visible in the home page.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Equal duration/Poll suggestion page Dec 6, 2006

Hola again,

So you get a lot of poll suggestions? Again, I take this opportunity to suggest then that Proz keeps better control of the time assigned to each of the polls, to make it "fairer" for poll "suggesters", so that each of them gets the same amount of Home page time/debate.

Also, this might not be so important, but
... See more
Hola again,

So you get a lot of poll suggestions? Again, I take this opportunity to suggest then that Proz keeps better control of the time assigned to each of the polls, to make it "fairer" for poll "suggesters", so that each of them gets the same amount of Home page time/debate.

Also, this might not be so important, but I just checked the poll suggestion URL (at http://www.proz.com/?sp=poll_suggest&float=y ) that appears in the poll box itself, and I noticed its URL link is different from the poll forum URL link ( http://www.proz.com/forum/109 ).

So, from what you just commented, I should then assume that the contents of both of them end up in the same staff control area for polls?

Somehow I had the impression that the poll forum link, since it appears as a choice in the message forum posting area, was independent from the poll suggestion area, so this is the reason why I was wondering if my message had required vetting. I even thought it was a "bug".

Anyways, it is always good to have a clearer explanation of all the site rules/FAQ.

(Gotta go now, time for dinner around here.)

Más saludos,

Ivette

[Edited at 2006-12-06 19:03]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
I also have a question, while we're at it Dec 6, 2006

I would like to know what is the criteria for the order in which pending polls are displayed.

I have noticed that there are lots of interesting pending polls, but some of them have been there for ages, and yet, new polls come out that I haven't seen in the list of pending polls. Is there an order of priority of some kind? I have a feeling that the order used for diplaying the polls is not random, but it actually looks like someone picks them according to some kind of criteria.
... See more
I would like to know what is the criteria for the order in which pending polls are displayed.

I have noticed that there are lots of interesting pending polls, but some of them have been there for ages, and yet, new polls come out that I haven't seen in the list of pending polls. Is there an order of priority of some kind? I have a feeling that the order used for diplaying the polls is not random, but it actually looks like someone picks them according to some kind of criteria.

Can we have a little explanation on this?

Thanks!
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Pending polls Dec 7, 2006

Hi Viktoria,
I'd like to know how do you see the pending polls?
Regards,
Ritu

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Where to find the pending polls Dec 8, 2006

Hi Ritu,

I'd like to know how do you see the pending polls?

Click on the Community-tab above.
Community -> Quick polls
http://www.proz.com/polls
-> Big box shows
LEFT Past featured Polls
RIGHT Pending Polls (in red letters)
http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=pending
Happy scrolling!
Steffi

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Danke, Steffi! Dec 9, 2006

Tuliparola wrote:
Community -> Quick polls
http://www.proz.com/polls
-> Big box shows
LEFT Past featured Polls
RIGHT Pending Polls (in red letters)
http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=pending
Steffi

I myself had not noticed where that link is, so thanks for the tip.

Btw, Enrique, I believe Viktoria was waiting for an answer.

(...waving hands and arms at Enrique to call his attention....)

Happy weekend,

Ivette

P.S.: Steffi, I love your new picture (cuuuute cat!!). It seems quite a bunch of us are having our cat pets in our profile pictures, even though some seem to find that "unprofessional" (he he he!).

To be honest, I find it very "professional", because, at least in my case, my (2) cats are definitely part of my daily work routine, because they usually "work" with me when I am in front of the monitor. That's the kind of situation only a "freelance professional" with a home-base office can afford, because in a normal office cats would not be allowed to "check in" for work (he he he!).

So CATS rule!

[Edited at 2006-12-09 10:53]

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
How polls are processed Dec 9, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Can we have a little explanation on this?

The polls order in the "pending polls" tab is not very relevant. In fact I have asked some time ago to modify the polls interface to make it more user-friendly.

We receive many suggested polls, in average more than one per day, so it is not possible to publish them all. Suggested polls are stored in a tab that is visible only to staff, currently storing MANY polls.

In the current interface we pre-select some that look adequate for publication. This does not mean that the others are bad, but for instance many are very similar to other polls recently published (you probably have read complains about "we answered somethign very similar three months ago").

These pre-selected polls are simply there as tentative polls to be published, but they still have to be edited before going public. This means basically two activities:

a) Adding options so that the set offered is reasonably complete (so that most people will find a satisfactory option to choose), and

b) Shortening the suggested text (in particular that of the options) to make it compatible with the polls interface.

Kind regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the criteria for poll duration?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »