Hiding KudoZ questions? - what prupose does it serve?
Thread poster: Tatjana Aleksic, MA (X)
Tatjana Aleksic, MA (X)
Tatjana Aleksic, MA (X)  Identity Verified
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Dec 12, 2001

What does that mean and why was it introduced?

Does it mean that we are getting too cryptic and will be able to send answers no one can see, or does that mark in the right bottom corner help us give up our answers we might realise were not the best ones? Which one of the two purposes does it serve?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:54
SITE FOUNDER
Hide = remove wrong answers, squash offensive postings Dec 12, 2001

Hiding is to be used for two main purposes:

(1) People had asked for a way to retract their answers. This is it.

(2) We needed a way to suppress offensive postings made not as questions but as answers. Therefore, we have given moderators that ability to \'hide\' answers. (They are not deleted, just hidden; so a moderators decision could be overruled and the answer replaced.)

There is no cryptic reason for hiding.

... See more
Hiding is to be used for two main purposes:

(1) People had asked for a way to retract their answers. This is it.

(2) We needed a way to suppress offensive postings made not as questions but as answers. Therefore, we have given moderators that ability to \'hide\' answers. (They are not deleted, just hidden; so a moderators decision could be overruled and the answer replaced.)

There is no cryptic reason for hiding.

Both of these functions have been implemented only experimentally. Lets see how it goes.

Henry
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:54
French to German
+ ...
Very useful Dec 12, 2001

Tatjana, I goofed twice today by not checking thouroughly the answers already given. I don\'t want to give lenghty answers and parroting others. One answer, when it is what I believe the correct one, is enough.

Thanks to the hide button, I could withdraw my answer and awoid annoying others. This can be very handy. The adding button is great as well. You forgot to add a link, you do not need to place a second answer. Same thing for bad typos.

Try it out
... See more
Tatjana, I goofed twice today by not checking thouroughly the answers already given. I don\'t want to give lenghty answers and parroting others. One answer, when it is what I believe the correct one, is enough.

Thanks to the hide button, I could withdraw my answer and awoid annoying others. This can be very handy. The adding button is great as well. You forgot to add a link, you do not need to place a second answer. Same thing for bad typos.

Try it out. It helps.

Greetings
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 10:54
German to English
+ ...
Yep, it's just what the doctor ordered Dec 13, 2001

Perfect: you can hide your answer (and even restore it later on if necessary) and you can add time-coded notes. It\'s all we ever wanted, and ProZ has done it. Good job!

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 20:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right, Werner, Dec 13, 2001

Thanks your input. When will proz.com will start unveiling the BURKHA from the job posters\' face, before translators lose lot of money on phoney jobs posted?

Porbably, it suits PROZ very well to hide the face of the job poster, because it has nothing to lose, but only earn more dollars. But what about translators?

Quote:

On 2001-12-13 01:12, AbacusTrans wrote:

Perfect: you can hide your answer (and e... See more
Thanks your input. When will proz.com will start unveiling the BURKHA from the job posters\' face, before translators lose lot of money on phoney jobs posted?

Porbably, it suits PROZ very well to hide the face of the job poster, because it has nothing to lose, but only earn more dollars. But what about translators?

Quote:

On 2001-12-13 01:12, AbacusTrans wrote:

Perfect: you can hide your answer (and even restore it later on if necessary) and you can add time-coded notes. It\'s all we ever wanted, and ProZ has done it. Good job!

Collapse

Zenny Sadlon
Zenny Sadlon
Local time: 09:54
English to Czech
+ ...
Except . . . Dec 15, 2001

... the first time I hid an answer it was my own and I did so inadvertently. I was unable to undo the \'hide\' command. That made me look suspicious or silly to others, perhaps ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding KudoZ questions? - what prupose does it serve?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »