Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:15
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2007

Dear ProZians,

As many of you know, in response to member requests, we set out earlier this year to refresh the site design. The goal was to refresh the look and make the site slightly more appealing to new visitors. To that end, over the past six months a modified site design has been made available in stages for review by moderators, members, and finally all site users. During this beta period, many changes have been made based on user feedback. I would like to thank everyone for
... See more
Dear ProZians,

As many of you know, in response to member requests, we set out earlier this year to refresh the site design. The goal was to refresh the look and make the site slightly more appealing to new visitors. To that end, over the past six months a modified site design has been made available in stages for review by moderators, members, and finally all site users. During this beta period, many changes have been made based on user feedback. I would like to thank everyone for your help in improving the design!

Now, as a next step, the new design will be taken out of "beta" stage, and will become the default design for all site users and visitors. If you have not yet switched over to the new design, you will notice the change later this week.

The old design will continue to be supported for about six months, and registered users who wish to continue using the old design will be able to do so during this period. You can switch back to the old design by clicking "switch design" in the upper left.

Thanks again to all of those who helped with this design. I hope you all like the updated look and feel.

Best,
Colin
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congrats Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the hardwork. I like the new design, the round-corner format, the colors and layout.

Regards,
Haiyang

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 02:15
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
... congratulations from here too... Nov 27, 2007

I think it has a more professional touch, without losing too much of what we have become used to.

Well done, design team!

Bill

amky
amky
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 03:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
I also like the new desing Dec 1, 2007

Haiyang Ai wrote:

Thanks for the hardwork. I like the new design, the round-corner format, the colors and layout.

Regards,
Haiyang

Best Regards
AMKY

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Why exactly is it better? Dec 4, 2007

This may be due to lack of sleep, and general irritability but I cannot see any real benefits.

Is it just aesthetic? In which case, yes I suppose it is a bit more upbeat.

In any case, I am in favour of gradual evolution, new features as and when we need them etc., rather than sudden big changes.

Arianna Tremayne
Arianna Tremayne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:15
German to English
+ ...
Agree Dec 4, 2007

Maybe I am a bit old-fashioned, but I agree with Mark:

Mark Nathan wrote:

This may be due to lack of sleep, and general irritability but I cannot see any real benefits.

Is it just aesthetic? In which case, yes I suppose it is a bit more upbeat.

In any case, I am in favour of gradual evolution, new features as and when we need them etc., rather than sudden big changes.

I had gotten used to where everything is and now I have to find it again...

I like the colours though!

Speranza
Speranza  Identity Verified

Spanish to Russian
+ ...
One more vote against the new design Dec 4, 2007

I was hoping it would remain an option. Considering the time pressure many of us experience almost constantly, it is really bad news that instead of just clicking the links and buttons we are used to, we will now have to waste time exploring a website that looks and feels unfamiliar.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:15
French to English
+ ...
With Mark... Dec 5, 2007

I'm with Mark on this one too. I really can't see the point of tinkering with things just for the sake of it. And where has our user information gone? That seems to have disappeared from the new design... I know it's there when you mouse over your name, but why isn't it visible all the time?

Oh dear, I'm being a dinosaur again, I know - sorry, too late, and too tired, but I think I'll stick with the old design for now, thank you!

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Grocery Store Dec 5, 2007

I feel like in my grocery store. For weeks and months I do my shopping, go through those isles and pick up the stuff I need. It goes fast and most of the time my mind can be busy with other things (for example tricky translations :-0)
And one day, I come in and the veggies are where the bread used to be. Cereal is now in the former cleaning department, and meat is where the veggies were ... And the store tries to convince me that it is so much more convenient for me to have this new organi
... See more
I feel like in my grocery store. For weeks and months I do my shopping, go through those isles and pick up the stuff I need. It goes fast and most of the time my mind can be busy with other things (for example tricky translations :-0)
And one day, I come in and the veggies are where the bread used to be. Cereal is now in the former cleaning department, and meat is where the veggies were ... And the store tries to convince me that it is so much more convenient for me to have this new organisation and one day I will love it and blablabla. And 'Gewohnheitstier ME' (creature of habit) - I am fuming because I run around in the store without finding what I want. Taking double the time what I can't afford. The reason behind it - The store wants to make me see things that I usually ignore and maybe, maybe buy more than I planned. It is annoying and needless.
I love the ProZ website because it gives me information and contact with colleagues. I depend on many things and people on this site that help me through my jobs. I need the layout of the page in a way that gets me quickly, with a click of the button, to the places I need right now. I certainly do not need "my little shelfs and groceries" in corners that I don't expect them in. Endless scrolling down on page one doesn't save me time. And rounded corners don't really make me feel better. Sorry dear ProZ Team, I don't like it.
Collapse

Taner Göde
Taner Göde
Türkiye
Local time: 03:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
THE OLD DESIGN RULEZZZ...!!! Dec 5, 2007

Why was there a need for a new design anyway? The new design looks like it has been custom tailored for grammar school kids! I have been using ProZ since 8 years and I know the site like my handpalm but now I have to reprogramme myself, among all the daily routine that I have to do, and get used to your new "design".

The new layout is a waste of valuable visual space! Just look at how much of the area on the monitor is empty. A website can only be successful when it offers a lot on
... See more
Why was there a need for a new design anyway? The new design looks like it has been custom tailored for grammar school kids! I have been using ProZ since 8 years and I know the site like my handpalm but now I have to reprogramme myself, among all the daily routine that I have to do, and get used to your new "design".

The new layout is a waste of valuable visual space! Just look at how much of the area on the monitor is empty. A website can only be successful when it offers a lot on a space that is as small as possible. When the site opened I could see how many points I had, what my BrowniZ were, whether or not there were new jobs or questions etc.

Now this all takes time, and time IS money, there is no alternative. I will switch to the old design and use it as long as possible.

The new design, as Ms. Nadejda Sokolova has point out above, had to remain an OPTION, instead of becoming an OBLIGATION.

Whatever, I want but cannot congratulate you on the new design. It is as if a good friend has underwent a gender surgery. It is as if your lovely neighbor, the girl next door, making part of your live, has moved and now some conman is living there and you have to abide.

OLD DESIGN !
OLD DESIGN !!
OLD DESIGN !!!

Why not cast a vote whether or not the old design should be abandoned or maintained!

Cheers from Turkey!
Collapse

Quills
Quills  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Niceeeeee Dec 5, 2007

I really like the new design. I have been using while in beta, and I really liked it. Congratulations.
Regarding the negative comments, people always have to complaint about something, either because it's new or because it's old, it's our nature.

Go on improving as you always do.

Carolina

[Edited at 2007-12-05 11:53]

[Edited at 2007-12-05 11:54]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I totally agree with Mark and the "nay" camp - Dec 5, 2007

I was comfortable with the old design and am a firm believer in "If it's not broken don't fix it". Surely just making the downloads faster would've been enough. However, I suppose it's a case of like it or lump it, but so far it looks more like a triumph of style over real content.

María Florencia Otero
María Florencia Otero  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Good work! Dec 5, 2007

Although for some people it will take some time to get used to the new design, I think it is always very positive to do new things and to improve every day. I really like the new layout, well done!

Congrats to the team!

Florencia

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Great work :) Dec 5, 2007

The design improves everyday, and I really like it!

It makes navigation easier and intuitive, mostly for new users. I see the point that users and members who are used to the old design might need time adjusting to this new design, but we should think as a community, not as individuals.

Probably I spent time getting used to it, but I firmly belive someone else saved (or will save) that time, with this friendly environment.

Think "community".

Co
... See more
The design improves everyday, and I really like it!

It makes navigation easier and intuitive, mostly for new users. I see the point that users and members who are used to the old design might need time adjusting to this new design, but we should think as a community, not as individuals.

Probably I spent time getting used to it, but I firmly belive someone else saved (or will save) that time, with this friendly environment.

Think "community".

Congratulations!
Collapse

Magdalena Wysmyk
Magdalena Wysmyk  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
New design - I like it. Dec 5, 2007

Probably because I'm pretty new to ProZ, I hadn't had too much time to really get used to the old design.
Therefore as soon as I changed the old one into the new one I thought that the new site design is the one I like more.

Thanks for your work!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New site design to move from "beta" to standard later this week

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »