https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/104677-revised_definition_of_professional_profile_completeness.html

Revised definition of professional profile completeness
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
May 15, 2008

Dear members,

A new question has been added to the FAQs to clarify the meaning of the classifications "required" and "encouraged" as it applies to profile fields.

Profiles also have many fields that are "available" without being considered "required" or "encouraged".

The classification of fields in "professional"-type profiles (as opposed to corporate) has been reassessed, and the followin
... See more
Dear members,

A new question has been added to the FAQs to clarify the meaning of the classifications "required" and "encouraged" as it applies to profile fields.

Profiles also have many fields that are "available" without being considered "required" or "encouraged".

The classification of fields in "professional"-type profiles (as opposed to corporate) has been reassessed, and the following modifications will be implemented:

Project history

Project history will no longer be 'encouraged'. (Nevertheless, it will continue to be available, improved, and integrated with other tools.)

Time zone

This feature will be included together with contact information, which is a 'required' field. This information is important for better networking among parties in different time zones.

Availability

Availability will be included in the near future among the encouraged fields. This information is relevant for both service providers and their potential clients.

This feature will be improved and reasonable time will be allowed before the field becomes encouraged. In particular, a default availability definition will be included, and the field will be considered complete if a default is selected.

Comments and questions are welcome.

And once more, thanks to our members for their support of the site.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Local time May 16, 2008

One of the advantages of beeng a translator is that you can work when you want. For example, a client could call me at 11:00 pm local time, but at that hour I am usually sleeping, since I am a very very late worker (each mounth my canine teeth are longer and longer, I don't know why...). So, setting local time visible may be confusing in the case of people like me.

Please, stop setting things as "required" or "encouraged", I do hate it. Let us set the items we think are usefull for
... See more
One of the advantages of beeng a translator is that you can work when you want. For example, a client could call me at 11:00 pm local time, but at that hour I am usually sleeping, since I am a very very late worker (each mounth my canine teeth are longer and longer, I don't know why...). So, setting local time visible may be confusing in the case of people like me.

Please, stop setting things as "required" or "encouraged", I do hate it. Let us set the items we think are usefull for us. We are not small children; please, stop babysitting us.

If yo want, you could add the possibility to set the hours of the day the translator use to be available to clients, but once again, each freelancer can do shopping or house cleaning at a different hour each day; a freelancer is not an employee. But please, do not set it as "required" or "encouraged".
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Availability May 16, 2008

At present, I think, the availability calendar asks us to indicate when we ARE available as opposed to when we are NOT available. As (I imagine) most of us are available more often than we are not, in the sense that we are away on holiday etc. only a few weeks in the year, wouldn't it be more sensible if the calendar asked us to indicate when we are NOT available? Filling it in as "available" practically every day of the year is annoying and I, for one, can't be bothered to do it, which is why... See more
At present, I think, the availability calendar asks us to indicate when we ARE available as opposed to when we are NOT available. As (I imagine) most of us are available more often than we are not, in the sense that we are away on holiday etc. only a few weeks in the year, wouldn't it be more sensible if the calendar asked us to indicate when we are NOT available? Filling it in as "available" practically every day of the year is annoying and I, for one, can't be bothered to do it, which is why my profile is allegedly "incomplete".
As to instant availability, that can't be predicted in advance because of the huge fluctuations in and frequent urgency of the work most of us do.
Just a suggestion, and thanks for all the work you do for us.
Regards,
Jenny.
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
Availability May 16, 2008

And for those of us who do NOT come on this site to look for work and who are busy enough without having to reply politely to enquiries (to say 'no thanks'), would it not be possible to switch off the availability thing altogether ?
From time to time I remember to go and blank the whole thing out but sometimes I forget and it is a further constraint that I don't need.
And I doubt if I'm the only one.....

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bravo! May 16, 2008

RNAtranslator wrote:

Please, stop setting things as "required" or "encouraged", I do hate it. Let us set the items we think are usefull for us. We are not small children; please, stop babysitting us.

And stop "punishing" us when we don't do it YOUR way! Paying members should have the right to choose the kind of profile they think serves them best, and their choices shouldn't affect their chances to be found in the dirctory.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Personal option May 16, 2008

Translation-Pro wrote:
RNAtranslator wrote:

And stop "punishing" us when we don't do it YOUR way! Paying members should have the right to choose the kind of profile they think serves them best, and their choices shouldn't affect their chances to be found in the dirctory.

Well, that`s your personal choice I beleive. Proz.com gives you the tools to enhance your profile, to get more exposition online and get closer to regular and great clients. This may also give the chance to improve your business.

Proz gives you hints on how to contact a client, write a resumé, trust or distrust a prospect client, and so on. Proz gives us the BB, one of the most valuable features in this business.

You can`t blame the site for doing its job. The job of the website is fine, done more than properly, eagerly, for all its members, and always trying to improve and come up with new useful features.

It`s for you to take them or leave them. It`s your own business. You should not get mad at the site, again. It`s YOUR personal choice. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

I myself can tell you I appreciate the effort Henry and his team are constantly doing. I am using many or most of the features, and I can tell you they do work and are worth the money I invest in my membership.

Walter

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
It's about choices May 16, 2008

Translation-Pro wrote:

RNAtranslator wrote:

The site provides tools and opportunities, and choices.

Any freelancer has the right to decide what fields to complete in his/her profile.

Outsourcers have the choice to decide what parameters will be included in their directory searches.

A freelancer can decide not to enter his/her information about fields of expertise, for instance.

And an outsourcer has the choice to search in the directory including field of expertise among the search criteria.

In this case the freelancer will not appear in the search.

It makes sense to me.

Regards,
Enrique

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
My point May 16, 2008

Enrique wrote:
Outsourcers have the choice to decide what parameters will be included in their directory searches.

A freelancer can decide not to enter his/her information about fields of expertise, for instance.

And an outsourcer has the choice to search in the directory including field of expertise among the search criteria.

In this case the freelancer will not appear in the search.

It makes sense to me.

Regards,
Enrique

That's perfect, I do agree with this. But my point is about setting items as "required" or "encouraged", that's what makes me to feel like a babysitted child.

By the way, Walter and Enrique, I think that Proz is a very good site for translators and I am grateful to owners and staff, I just mention something I don't like; otherwise, I would move away.

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Misunderstanding May 18, 2008

Hi Enrique,

I agree, but it seems we were talking about different versions of the directory.
The "profile completeness" search options in the so-called "old" directory are/were *based on the "required" and "encouraged" fields as defined by ProZ*.

Things have changed, and now only the new directory is available. Problem solved.

Best regards

Christa

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
Summer time May 18, 2008

It would be useful if the local time feature was programmed to take into account summer time.

I have to hide this feature as it's showing an incorrect time and will until October.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
How to modify the time zone May 22, 2008

This time zone information can be modified in the "contact information" area of the profile updater

Regards,
Enrique

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wrong local time in spite of right GMT settings May 22, 2008

I changed the time zone in the profile updater in order to reflect the summer time (GMT+2); however, it does not seem to make any changes to the local time displayed in my profile under the Calendar. My "local time" still displays the standard GMT, which is displayed on the top of all the pages on this site.

Am I missing something?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revised definition of professional profile completeness

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »