https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/11118-new_design_is_waste_of_time.html

New design is waste of time
Thread poster: Giles Bickford
Giles Bickford
Giles Bickford  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
May 17, 2003

What a pity. Is it just for the sake of it that you are changing from one to another? Just when we knew where everything is, we now get a practically empty page that we have to spend time (unpaid for) exploring for what we need. It\'s so annoying and so symptomatic of IT today. (In the last ten years I have had to learn 6 entirely new WP packages just to keep up, and four new versions of Word.) PLEASE let us keep the old design. I don\'t want to be annoyed and frustrated all the time looking for... See more
What a pity. Is it just for the sake of it that you are changing from one to another? Just when we knew where everything is, we now get a practically empty page that we have to spend time (unpaid for) exploring for what we need. It\'s so annoying and so symptomatic of IT today. (In the last ten years I have had to learn 6 entirely new WP packages just to keep up, and four new versions of Word.) PLEASE let us keep the old design. I don\'t want to be annoyed and frustrated all the time looking for stuff that is no longer where it should be.Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:51
German to Italian
+ ...
You can still use the old design May 17, 2003

Hi Giles, in the top left corner of the homepage, under ProZ logo, you have the option for reverting to the old design.

Anyway, I would suggest you to use both in parallel and think that when you get acquainted with the new one you will see it is much more functional than it might seem at first sight; I am sure that the time you will need for that (unpaid, as you rightly say - but it would be nice if we were paid for surfing the Internet! ...
See more
Hi Giles, in the top left corner of the homepage, under ProZ logo, you have the option for reverting to the old design.

Anyway, I would suggest you to use both in parallel and think that when you get acquainted with the new one you will see it is much more functional than it might seem at first sight; I am sure that the time you will need for that (unpaid, as you rightly say - but it would be nice if we were paid for surfing the Internet! ) will be largely recovered when you will find out that the new design makes the site easier to surf, helping to concentrate on the parts of it that do really interest each of us. I don\'t think that Henry and the developers have done it just for the sake of it, but rather for meeting the requests of the community. Have you taken part in the survey on this subject? I am sure that if you have useful suggestions they will be taken into consideration.

Happy surfing!

Gilda

Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Points of view May 17, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-17 04:46, GBickford wrote:

PLEASE let us keep the old design. I don\'t want to be annoyed and frustrated all the time looking for stuff that is no longer where it should be.

I would say \"...where it used to be\", instead of \"...where it should be\".

Change is the Zeitgeist, the spirit of our times.

Of course not all change means ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-05-17 04:46, GBickford wrote:

PLEASE let us keep the old design. I don\'t want to be annoyed and frustrated all the time looking for stuff that is no longer where it should be.

I would say \"...where it used to be\", instead of \"...where it should be\".

Change is the Zeitgeist, the spirit of our times.

Of course not all change means improvement, but if we reject change we can´t evolve.

Just a respectful personal opinion.

Enrique ▲ Collapse

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Outer gray spaces in the Proz galaxy May 17, 2003

The old design worked just fine — it\'s quite a good initial effort actually —, it just didn\'t have enough room for ads methinks. It does not appear to be, I reckon, about working better for us non-commissioned surfers sufferers but only a new marketing development. Otherwise, what\'s all that gray space I\'m seeing now for? Which is just as well, not everyone feeds on kudoz... and it\'ll surely work just as fine anyway.

Back to my Sebastian Faulks now, no advertising there... G
... See more
The old design worked just fine — it\'s quite a good initial effort actually —, it just didn\'t have enough room for ads methinks. It does not appear to be, I reckon, about working better for us non-commissioned surfers sufferers but only a new marketing development. Otherwise, what\'s all that gray space I\'m seeing now for? Which is just as well, not everyone feeds on kudoz... and it\'ll surely work just as fine anyway.

Back to my Sebastian Faulks now, no advertising there... Gosh, imagine that!

Ugh! P

[ This Message was edited by: SPAINZ on 2003-05-17 06:38]
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lost at first May 17, 2003

I must admit I was lost at first, but after a few days I got used to this new design.

Better? Worse? Just different, I guess.

I followed Henry\'s advice on trying the new Internet Search and found it very useful.

Today, I learnt I could enlarge the fonts (thanks, Claudia!!!), and little by little I\'m feeling comfortable again.

Change is a good thing as long as we are willing to benefit from it.

As Heraclitus said, \"we ca
... See more
I must admit I was lost at first, but after a few days I got used to this new design.

Better? Worse? Just different, I guess.

I followed Henry\'s advice on trying the new Internet Search and found it very useful.

Today, I learnt I could enlarge the fonts (thanks, Claudia!!!), and little by little I\'m feeling comfortable again.

Change is a good thing as long as we are willing to benefit from it.

As Heraclitus said, \"we can never bathe twice in the same river\"!

Regards,

Andrea

Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The new drop-down menus help a lot May 17, 2003

If you position the cursor on the menu bar at the top of every page there are now drop-down menus which make navigation much easier and much quicker.

A vast improvement.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:51
SITE FOUNDER
Not about ads - new design is more organized, decentralized May 17, 2003

The new design was created for two main reasons:

(1) We were starting to have too much content to put in the single menu structure. Every new feature begged the question, \"Where can we put this?\" The new design, with two layers of navigation, gives us plenty of space.

Two layers of navigation is, by the way, typical for sites with the amount of content ProZ.com now has.

(2) Traffic patterns show that some members are active in the
... See more
The new design was created for two main reasons:

(1) We were starting to have too much content to put in the single menu structure. Every new feature begged the question, \"Where can we put this?\" The new design, with two layers of navigation, gives us plenty of space.

Two layers of navigation is, by the way, typical for sites with the amount of content ProZ.com now has.

(2) Traffic patterns show that some members are active in the jobs sections--and nowhere else-- while others are active in the KudoZ sections, and nowhere else. So we grouped the site around functional sections. That means that in each section (under each term on the top navigation bar), you can find info, faqs and links to the moderators and developers that are responsible for that section. We think this will help to establish closer communication among users, moderators and developers.

Feedback suggests that while many people are find the change in navigation awkward, once you get the idea you may like it. And if not, just keep the old design...
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It's like a new pair of shoes May 17, 2003

Once you get used to it, you like it.

The same happens with CAT tools and other things, don\'t you think so?

Since it has the drop-down menues I really appreciate it.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't really like to the new one. May 18, 2003

Giles, I am with you, I don\'t like the new one. Things are hard to find. I guess though that because the old one is not going to be supported anymore, we will have to use the new one.

Guess, I am just an old dog unwilling to learn new tricks. And boy, did I have to learn a bunch to funtion in this new IT world. Again, Giles, here I am with you. So much change, so little time.

Lucinda

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Unsupported old design May 18, 2003

To those of you who are concerned by the statement that the old design \"will no longer be supported\", take heart; it\'s just a design--it has nothing to do with the functionality of the site. There is very little in a design that needs to be supported. Links to new features will simply not be added to the menu in the old design, although the features will still be available no matter which design you use.

Regards,

jg

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
James! May 19, 2003

2003-05-18 16:17 jg wrote:

...take heart; it\'s just a design--it has nothing to do with the functionality of the site. There is very little in a design that needs to be supported.

What a relief! I\'ll just check in on the new design once in a while to see if there\'s any new features available...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New design is waste of time

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »