Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Mar 11, 2009

A new golden star has been created to identify members who have supported the site with their membership during the last three or more years. This golden star will be deployed to the right of the membership symbol.

This is how test character Jane Member's profile looks

And this is Jane after
... See more
A new golden star has been created to identify members who have supported the site with their membership during the last three or more years. This golden star will be deployed to the right of the membership symbol.

This is how test character Jane Member's profile looks

And this is Jane after answering a question.

When the cursor of the mouse passes over this symbol, a message displaying the duration of the membership is displayed.

Our deepest thanks to all members who made and keep making this site possible!

Enrique

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-12 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:42
English to French
+ ...
Can we opt out? Mar 11, 2009

I am wondering if there is a way to opt out of displaying these little jewels. I now have three icons, among other things (language pair, location, timezone, etc.) next to my name everywhere I go and I am sure people don't really care how long I've been paying for membership. It's getting a bit hard on the eyes.

Another problem I have is that I don't much care about people knowing every bit of detail about me (unless they visit my profile). The date when I became a member is already
... See more
I am wondering if there is a way to opt out of displaying these little jewels. I now have three icons, among other things (language pair, location, timezone, etc.) next to my name everywhere I go and I am sure people don't really care how long I've been paying for membership. It's getting a bit hard on the eyes.

Another problem I have is that I don't much care about people knowing every bit of detail about me (unless they visit my profile). The date when I became a member is already displayed in my profile - no need for it to be displayed everywhere. I think that, to a certain extent, these little icons can influence how people word their forum posts. It's OK to be distinguished from colleagues in places like the directory, but I think that in other parts of the site, like KudoZ and the forum, it would actually help if we all appeared equal.

Is there any way for people to opt out of icons?
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 13:42
German to English
+ ...
Window dressing Mar 11, 2009

Wow.

In the old days, if you were "platinum," it was a big deal.

Then came the red "P" PRO Certification seal to acknowledge translators who have "confirmed adequately a level of professional ability".

And now many people have golden stars, too.

Soon there won't be any room left on the screen for all the bells, whistles, medals, stars and stripes.

Sorry, but it looks like window dressing to me. Call me cynical, but I see both the
... See more
Wow.

In the old days, if you were "platinum," it was a big deal.

Then came the red "P" PRO Certification seal to acknowledge translators who have "confirmed adequately a level of professional ability".

And now many people have golden stars, too.

Soon there won't be any room left on the screen for all the bells, whistles, medals, stars and stripes.

Sorry, but it looks like window dressing to me. Call me cynical, but I see both the red "P" and the golden star primarily as a superficial attempt to enhance the appearance of the site, make members look more impressive, and thus win the loyalty of those who pay. After all, anyone who lets their membership lapse will now have even more to lose.

By the way, I think it's time to let us all grow up. This may be a "community" but very few of us "support" this site for altruistic reasons. Those days are coming to an end. We basically subscribe to a service. ProZ.com is first and foremost a business -- not a club of equals, as the owner and his staff never tire of reminding us. Personally, I pay for my membership because I enjoy using the site and because I see it as a service that is worth paying for.

I don't need a golden star.

(edited to correct a typo)

[Edited at 2009-03-11 22:38 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Opting out Mar 11, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Hi Viktoria,

Your request is in line with the site policy of providing features and options.

The option to opt out of displaying this icon will be implemented.

Thanks for your long standing support!

Enrique

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
I second that Mar 11, 2009

Paul Cohen wrote:

By the way, I think it's time to let us all grow up. This may be a "community" but very few of us "support" this site for altruistic reasons. Those days are coming to an end. We basically subscribe to a service. ProZ.com is first and foremost a business -- not a club of equals, as the owner and his staff never tire of reminding us. Personally, I pay for my membership because I enjoy using the site and because I see it as a service that is worth paying for.

I don't need a golden star.

Are we back at primary?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I have to agree with Viktoria, Paul and Marijke Mar 11, 2009

The last time I got a gold star was when I was in the Brownies! It really does seem a bit pointless.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
English to German
pointless gimmick Mar 11, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

The date when I became a member is already displayed in my profile - no need for it to be displayed everywhere.

I agree.

I'm happy to be a certified pro, no need for a gold star!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Mar 11, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I have to agree with Viktoria, Paul and Marijke

The last time I got a gold star was when I was in the Brownies! It really does seem a bit pointless. .

I am also pleased to see that we can opt out of the gold star icon.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:42
English to French
+ ...
Maybe a mouseover feature would do the trick Mar 11, 2009

How about having the option to hide all our icons and only display them upon mouseover? This way, we can all keep our icons, but they will not take up all that room. One could argue that people who are new to the site may not know that there is additional info behind a user name, but then again, new users wouldn't know what those icons mean anyway.

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Opt me out, Scotty. Mar 11, 2009

This is for professionals, right?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:42
German to English
+ ...
Yes, please let us toggle all the little icons! Mar 11, 2009

I'm beginning to feel a bit like one of those ostentatious tinpot dictators with a chest full of self-awarded medals. The basic features of the site and the value it offers me through my profile and other features are more than enough to attract my annual fee. I don't need to flash the trash.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What's the purpose? Mar 11, 2009

As far as I see, within the last year site developing a "tagging" policy on its members.
Pro symbols, Stars, Tagging people in new KudoZ Questions (GBK)

I am just wondering about the purpose of all those tags imposed on the members.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I like it Mar 11, 2009

What can I say? I took a look, and I think it looks nice, but then again I tend to be a "visual" kind of person.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Reasons? Mar 11, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:

As far as I see, within the last year site developing a "tagging" policy on its members.
Pro symbols, Stars, Tagging people in new KudoZ Questions (GBK)

I am just wondering about the purpose of all those tags imposed on the members.

[irony mode ON] Usually, it turns out that this has been a "popular request" ... [irony mode OFF]

I won't complain now, as I haven't "earned" one of those stars yet ...

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
You could say I'm childish...or not, but: Mar 11, 2009

I DO LIKE IT!

ALICIA

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »