Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 03:26
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2003

mercado, Lale, Arus, Alextati, zavdenis, Girene, Fler, ingeniero, marik, kire, trasul, Julia, Gek962, AnnaS, inozena, Demid, nixie, Marichka, Palmyra, assia, Smitson, OlgaP, Sadko, NatSkvor, Freechoice, vovan

Above you can see a list of English>Russian translators from only one page of ProZ.com Freelancer Directory. Out of 50 translators mentioned there 26 (50%!!!) prefer to be
... See more
mercado, Lale, Arus, Alextati, zavdenis, Girene, Fler, ingeniero, marik, kire, trasul, Julia, Gek962, AnnaS, inozena, Demid, nixie, Marichka, Palmyra, assia, Smitson, OlgaP, Sadko, NatSkvor, Freechoice, vovan

Above you can see a list of English>Russian translators from only one page of ProZ.com Freelancer Directory. Out of 50 translators mentioned there 26 (50%!!!) prefer to be listed under only given names or nicks instead of their real full names.

I for one feel quite awkward when I have to address somebody as "Dear anca1108" or "Hi marina007". Some of the nicks are so weird that I even don't know how to pronounce them:

- mitchlr
- nttntt
- yben
- ukiechief

So far my "favourite" nicks from En>Ru pair are the following:

- 1q2w3e
- grahamfmmw

I can't understand why so many people prefer nicks to their real names at ProZ.com. Does anybody have any suppositions why it's so?

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin
Collapse

kire (X)
kire (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
Here's a thought Dec 8, 2003

I for one do not want some people including my employer to spot my name on the net like I have just spotted yours, Nikita Try "Nikita Kobrin" on Google - you'll be surprised!

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 02:26
English to French
+ ...
I do. Dec 8, 2003

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

I can't understand why so many people prefer nicks to their real names at ProZ.com. Does anybody have any suppositions why it's so?

Regards,
Nikita Kobrin

I do not want my name on the internet, or my phone nummer or my addres.

Do you know how many people are on the Net ? Several hundreds of millions. It is just a elementary mesure of safety, in this world.

Lien

Tatiana Nero (X)
Tatiana Nero (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
Russian
+ ...
Ëè÷íûé âûáîð Dec 8, 2003

Òî, ÷òî êòî-òî âûñòóïàåò ïîä ïñåâäîíèìîì, à êòî-òî ïîä èìåíåì (êñòàòè, êòî ìîæåò äîêàçàòü, ÷òî Íèêèòà Êîðáèí - Âàøå ðåàëüíîå èìÿ, è äëÿ êîãî ýòî èìååò çíà÷åíèå?) - ëè÷íîå äåëî êàæäîãî...

Åñëè Âàì ýòî íå íðàâèòñÿ, íî ýòî çàêîííî íà ProZ - Âàì ïðèäåòñÿ ñ ýòèì ïðîñòî-òàêè ñìèðèòüñ
... See more
Òî, ÷òî êòî-òî âûñòóïàåò ïîä ïñåâäîíèìîì, à êòî-òî ïîä èìåíåì (êñòàòè, êòî ìîæåò äîêàçàòü, ÷òî Íèêèòà Êîðáèí - Âàøå ðåàëüíîå èìÿ, è äëÿ êîãî ýòî èìååò çíà÷åíèå?) - ëè÷íîå äåëî êàæäîãî...

Åñëè Âàì ýòî íå íðàâèòñÿ, íî ýòî çàêîííî íà ProZ - Âàì ïðèäåòñÿ ñ ýòèì ïðîñòî-òàêè ñìèðèòüñÿ... Ñîîáðàæåíèÿ ó ëþäåé áûâàþò ðàçíûå, âñå çäåñü âçðîñëûå ëþäè, íåïîäîò÷åòíûå äðóã äðóãó. Ìû ñþäà ïðèõîäèì ïîìîãàòü äðóã äðóãó è ïîëó÷àòü êàêîå-òî ïðîôåññèîíàëüíîå óäîâëåòâîðåíèå, ïñåâäîíèìû ýòîìó (ìíå êàæåòñÿ) âîâñå íå ìåøàþò.
Collapse

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 21:26
Korean to English
+ ...
another reason to remain incognito Dec 8, 2003

Why would I give my personal info to people I don’t know? I want to be in control of where my information ends up and who has access to it. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but, with identity theft being a reality, I would feel uncomfortable if strangers from all over the world can find out who I am, what I do and where I live -- who knows what they might use this information for.

P.S. And, Nikita, don't you think "uFO" is a rather cute nickname? Apart from being meaningful
... See more
Why would I give my personal info to people I don’t know? I want to be in control of where my information ends up and who has access to it. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but, with identity theft being a reality, I would feel uncomfortable if strangers from all over the world can find out who I am, what I do and where I live -- who knows what they might use this information for.

P.S. And, Nikita, don't you think "uFO" is a rather cute nickname? Apart from being meaningful (U.F.O.) it also has my initials -- FO. It actually took me some time to come up with it and it's upsetting if you think that it is just an abracadabra. I am sure that at least some other people you are attacking have stories behind their nicknames too.

[Edited at 2003-12-09 03:09]

[Edited at 2003-12-09 03:09]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
A rose by any other name Dec 9, 2003

Nikita, you're right that some nicknames are silly, but then again, in the translation question/ answers it's the quality of the answer that counts, not the quality of the nick.
Another issue you might raise is the logo/ photo beside the nick. Some people just show their photographs and others show strange things... I haven't inserted a photo for sheer laziness, not for security reasons.
Then again, most of the serious Prozians have a CV and/ or a website, so you can find out all the
... See more
Nikita, you're right that some nicknames are silly, but then again, in the translation question/ answers it's the quality of the answer that counts, not the quality of the nick.
Another issue you might raise is the logo/ photo beside the nick. Some people just show their photographs and others show strange things... I haven't inserted a photo for sheer laziness, not for security reasons.
Then again, most of the serious Prozians have a CV and/ or a website, so you can find out all the pertinent information there, should you need it for whatever purpose.

Cheers,
Pawel Andrzej Skalinski
Collapse

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Name recognition Dec 9, 2003

kire wrote:

I for one do not want some people including my employer to spot my name on the net like I have just spotted yours, Nikita Try "Nikita Kobrin" on Google - you'll be surprised!

Right you are. If you are afraid of your employer learning that you spent your working time on ProZ.com forums it's better to use a nick

OTOH, I think that your name recognition is a good point for using it here. If sb keys in 123895 or uFO in Google, they are much less likely to obtain relevant information, when checking a potential service provider. If they enter "Nikita Kobrin", they will get a nice bunch of links that may help them to decide to use Nikita's services.

Of course, there is a security risk, but the odds are really small IMO, and if one wanted to be really consistent, they would have to resign from adding their names in phone directories etc.

Just my 2 cents.

[Edited at 2003-12-09 22:22]

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
I do too Dec 10, 2003

[quote]Romuald Pawlikowski wrote:

Of course, there is a security risk, but the odds are really small IMO, and if one wanted to be really consistent, they would have to resign from adding their names in phone directories etc.

quote]

I am not afraid about thief of identity, I am more afraid of the morons on the net. When you see what is happening in the world, you have to be careful. And yes I am consistent, I do not have my phone number in the phone directories either.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:26
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't forget yourself... Dec 11, 2003

[quote]Nikita Kobrin wrote:

As far as I remember, some months ago your Nick was "Nikita" with plenty of nice comic photos: Peta Wilson as Nikita, Nikita Khrushchev, elegiac old lady, longhaired "sexual" boy, etc...

What's about to begin from yourself and tell us your story? Welcome, be first...We are thrilled!

[Edited at 2003-12-11 16:29]

[Edited at 2003-12-11 17:27]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Let us start with fundamentals Dec 11, 2003

In many instances it is difficult to know whether a member is a male or female. The profile says that he or she may be contacted for potential jobs or something like it. I think this is carrying things to an extreme. What is more, while registering for Proz membership there is no box for the gender.
This gives rise to problems when addressing emails through profiles. I would like to use the words Dear Sir or Dear Madam. Instead I have to say Dear abcdxyz.
I do get help when the membe
... See more
In many instances it is difficult to know whether a member is a male or female. The profile says that he or she may be contacted for potential jobs or something like it. I think this is carrying things to an extreme. What is more, while registering for Proz membership there is no box for the gender.
This gives rise to problems when addressing emails through profiles. I would like to use the words Dear Sir or Dear Madam. Instead I have to say Dear abcdxyz.
I do get help when the member posts something in French. The person's gender can be guessed from the use of the perfect in reflexive verbs for one.
Can the Proz staff create the gender field and make it obligatory to fill the same? As for me, after seeing my photo no one can have problem in addressing me. And I have given my full name in the profile
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bohdan23, uFO, mk_lab, ovsva or Nicks vs Names

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »