Price for Platinum Membership (euro/dollar) - what about the UK, Sweden and Denmark?
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2004

Hello,

My platinum membership expires tomorrow. I was about to renew it believing that the advertised price was in dollars but then I noticed that I have to pay in euros. I have been receiving reminder e-mails from Proz which say: "Did you know that you can renew your membership at the discounted rate of 100 dollars/euros?" As I am in the UK, 100 euros + VAT would definitely not feel like a discounted price, I would much rather pay 100 dollars and save approx. 15 pounds! According t
... See more
Hello,

My platinum membership expires tomorrow. I was about to renew it believing that the advertised price was in dollars but then I noticed that I have to pay in euros. I have been receiving reminder e-mails from Proz which say: "Did you know that you can renew your membership at the discounted rate of 100 dollars/euros?" As I am in the UK, 100 euros + VAT would definitely not feel like a discounted price, I would much rather pay 100 dollars and save approx. 15 pounds! According to today's rates 100 dollars is 81.50 euros!

Kind regards,
Minna

[Edited at 2004-03-10 14:21]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:40
SITE FOUNDER
Please see the FAQ Mar 10, 2004

Dear Minna,

We were forced to adopt the euro/dollar policy last June (we announced it in the forums and in a newsletter at that time.) Here is an FAQ on the topic:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=faq#plat_dollar_euro

I hope you will continue to support the site--it is needed and appreciated!

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:40
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks for bringing this up (again) Mar 10, 2004

Recently, I was looking for information on this in past forum discussions, but didn't think of checking the FAQ. While I appreciate everything that's said there, it does seem to ignore the fact that certain countries in the EU have not adopted the Euro. I happen to do most of my work for clients in two such countries, UK and Denmark (just my luck!) and therefore does not have the advantages of no-fee transfers mentioned. On the contrary, whenever I receive a payment in Euros, I suffer losses th... See more
Recently, I was looking for information on this in past forum discussions, but didn't think of checking the FAQ. While I appreciate everything that's said there, it does seem to ignore the fact that certain countries in the EU have not adopted the Euro. I happen to do most of my work for clients in two such countries, UK and Denmark (just my luck!) and therefore does not have the advantages of no-fee transfers mentioned. On the contrary, whenever I receive a payment in Euros, I suffer losses through bank fees as well as currency rate fluctuations. Just needed to get this off my chest, really; I am intending to become a Platinum member very soon, but still think that people living outside the Euro-zone ought to be exempted from the pay-in-Euros rule.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK - we will accept USD payments from UK, Sweden, Denmark Mar 10, 2004

Pernille Chapman wrote:

...certain countries in the EU have not adopted the Euro. I happen to do most of my work for clients in two such countries, UK and Denmark (just my luck!) and therefore does not have the advantages of no-fee transfers mentioned. On the contrary, whenever I receive a payment in Euros, I suffer losses through bank fees as well as currency rate fluctuations...

Point taken. I have asked Jason to modify our policy to allow purchases in USD from the UK, Denmark and Sweden (any others?)

This is a concession on our part, as we are still required to pay VAT on purchases in these countries--and naturally, only euros are accepted.

It is conceivable that at some point in the future we will offer payment to a UK account; a GBP-specific price will then be set.

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, Henry! Mar 10, 2004

That's great news!
And thanks Pernille for your support!

Minna

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
you star! Mar 11, 2004

Cheers, Henry!

Elisabeth Bull
Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Norway too! Mar 11, 2004

Please include Norway too in your new policy, we have the same problems as we have neither adopted the Euro nor becoome EU members.

Thanks a million in advance!
Elisabeth

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wow - my first positive result for ages! Mar 11, 2004

Thank you VERY much for such a swift response. I can't believe that pointing out a problem has actually resulted in someone taking positive action, but I suppose this is to be expected in view of the usual high standards employed by Proz.com (no, I'm not after any more favours). Now I just need to hear from my bank after complaining about their appalling lack of customer service, and I'll be a very happy bunny indeed - just in time for Easter...
Sorry that the question of VAT remains an is
... See more
Thank you VERY much for such a swift response. I can't believe that pointing out a problem has actually resulted in someone taking positive action, but I suppose this is to be expected in view of the usual high standards employed by Proz.com (no, I'm not after any more favours). Now I just need to hear from my bank after complaining about their appalling lack of customer service, and I'll be a very happy bunny indeed - just in time for Easter...
Sorry that the question of VAT remains an issue, though. As VAT-registration is not compulsory in the UK for turnovers below GBP 50,000, not a lot of freelancers are registered and therefore VAT will be charged. Hopefully there'll be some improvement on this situation from the Proz.com point of view very soon.
One last point: do you have any idea when the GBP account may be realised (of course I'm happy to use USD in the meantime)?
Well done, Elisabeth, for reminding us of the even more complex situation for Norwegians/those based in Norway. And Minna, you're the one to thank, as I never got round to raising this issue myself.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:40
English to German
+ ...
VAT is beyond the scope of ProZ.com Mar 11, 2004

Hi Pernille,
Sorry that the question of VAT remains an issue, though. As VAT-registration is not compulsory in the UK for turnovers below GBP 50,000, not a lot of freelancers are registered and therefore VAT will be charged. Hopefully there'll be some improvement on this situation from the Proz.com point of view very soon.

I'm afraid ProZ.com has no influence on this whatsoever. If you decide not to register for VAT (remember that although you don't have to register, you can), this means that you cannot deduct VAT on goods or services purchased for your business. Still, ProZ.com must charge it - if they decided to waive that charge, it means they're liable for it.

There's no differences to other VATable goods or services: if you go into your local shop and buy a PC at GBP 1,175, that's the price you pay - if you were VAT-registered, you could deduct 175 pounds from your VAT liability, lowering the price to GBP 1,000.

When I used to run a UK company, that was precisely the reason why I registered for VAT before I had to.

HTH, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-03-11 14:25]

United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, eh? Mar 11, 2004

Pernille Chapman wrote:
Wow - my first positive result for ages!

Mine too! I am very very impressed by Henry's swift reaction! Thanks a bunch!

Pernille Chapman wrote:
And Minna, you're the one to thank, as I never got round to raising this issue myself.

No problem! I am just too mean with money and felt this is not fair for us outside the euro zone, so I had to get it off my chest (I have to admit I didn't expect a result as successful as this).

Have a great weekend!
Minna

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Members from UK, Sweden, Denmark now charged in USD Mar 11, 2004

Members from the EU countries who have not adopted the euro (Sweden, Denmark, and the UK) are now charged prices in USD, not euros. Members from Norway were always charged in USD.

Best regards,

Jason

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
Swift action Mar 13, 2004

Great!
Thank you very much!!

Jason Grimes wrote:

Members from the EU countries who have not adopted the euro (Sweden, Denmark, and the UK) are now charged prices in USD, not euros. Members from Norway were always charged in USD.

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for Platinum Membership (euro/dollar) - what about the UK, Sweden and Denmark?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »