Browniz payment for quoting to be discontinued June 1
Thread poster: Catherine Bolton

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 11, 2004

I just noticed the ad for the discount on platinum memberships and renewals, with the proviso:
** As of June 1, browniz quoting will not be possible.
What does this mean? That we can't spend browniz on our renewal?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-11 13:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Read the Help text here May 11, 2004

If you click on the small symbol next to the line in question in the ad you will receive the following Help text:

"As of June 1, it will no longer be possible to pay for quotes using 100 browniz. The $1 payment option will still be available.

Full platinum members, and partial platinum members ("jobs" type), will still be able to quote on jobs without limitations.

The decision to discontinue the browniz payment option was made in response to a number of factors, including an increasing number of platinum members, requests from platinum members for more differentiators, and complaints from clients regarding excessive contacts.

It is expected that this move will improve the experience of outsourcers, and reward and encourage platinum membership."

I hope this answers your question.

[Edited at 2004-05-11 11:52]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:23
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Using BrowniZ points May 11, 2004

cbolton wrote:
What does this mean? That we can't spend browniz on our renewal?

There is a small icon next to the notice, and clicking on it there are more information available.
I will copy them here, for your convenience

As of June 1, it will no longer be possible to pay for quotes using 100 BrowniZ. The $1 payment option will still be available.

Full Platinum members, and partial platinum members ("jobs" type), will still be able to quote on jobs without limitations.

The decision to discontinue the BrowniZ payment option was made in response to a number of factors, including an increasing number of platinum members, requests from Platinum members for more differentiators, and complaints from clients regarding excessive contacts.

It is expected that this move will improve the experience of outsourcers, and reward and encourage Platinum membership.

The BrowniZ points, earned contributing to the site content, can still be used to purchase a Platinum or Partial Platinum membership with substantial discounts.
Further details will be available soon on the membership pages.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My opinion May 11, 2004

Hi,
I think this refers only to the use of Brownies for answering bids, without any effect on membership.

As of June 1, it will no longer be possible to pay for quotes using 100 browniz. The $1 payment option will still be available.

Full platinum members, and partial platinum members ("jobs" type), will still be able to quote on jobs without limitations.

The decision to discontinue the browniz payment option was made in response to a number of factors, including an increasing number of platinum members, requests from platinum members for more differentiators, and complaints from clients regarding excessive contacts.

It is expected that this move will improve the experience of outsourcers, and reward and encourage platinum membership.

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks folks May 11, 2004

Unfortunately, I can't SEE any icon next to that, hence the question.
I just checked back and there's STILL no icon. The wonders of the Internet.
Thanks again for the explanation!
Catherine

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
The icon is small and at the right May 11, 2004

You don't really need the icon now since several members have already given you the content of the help box.

The icon is very small and is at the right of the line in question in the ad. It's a small "i" in a little box and if you move the cursor over it then "Info" appears. If you then click on the icon you get the help text.

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bob! May 11, 2004

Evidently I was having line problems, because after that I noticed I couldn't see any pictures either!
Problem solved and the "i" icon has returned.
Thanks again for clarifying.
Catherine

[Edited at 2004-05-11 13:54]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:23
SITE FOUNDER
Browniz payment for quoting to be discontinued June 1 May 11, 2004

Here is the help entry on the decision:

--------------
--------------

As of June 1, it will no longer be possible to pay for quotes using 100 BrowniZ. The $1 payment option will still be available.

Full platinum members and partial platinum members (of the "jobs" type), will still be able to quote on jobs without limitations.

The decision to discontinue the browniz payment option was made in response to a number of factors, including an increasing number of platinum members, requests from Platinum members for more differentiators, and complaints from clients regarding excessive contacts.

It is expected that this move will improve the experience of outsourcers, in turn leading to more jobs. It will also reward and encourage platinum membership.

For those who have amassed browniz, it is possible to apply them for a discount on platinum memberships. A full platinum membership is reduced from 120 to 80 usd/eur (with 4000 browniz) and a partial "jobs" platinum--good for a year of unlimited quoting--is marked down from 60 to 50 eur/usd per year.
--------------

The effective date will be June 1. Non-paying members who wish to continue quoting jobs should consider upgrading during the current sale, which ends Saturday. The upgrade page is here

Thanks for your understanding and support of the site.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
English to Tamil
+ ...
How about access to the blueboard? May 11, 2004

It is really unfortunate that the possibility of quoting by using the Brownies is discontinued. If it was required, you could have increased the brownies deduction to 200 per quote or more. Hope the access to the blueboard using the Brownies is not discontinued. If such is the intention kindly say so immediately so that we can usefully spend the Brownies before the cut-off date, after which the accumulation of Brownies is just not worth the trouble. I am talking of members like me, who do not see any appreciable benefit in Platinum membership -let me hasten to add it is purely a personal perception on my part.

As things stand, the number of times I have used 100 brownies for quoting could be counted on fingers in the 15 months of my membership as of today. Fact is, the rates offered by the outsourcers in the Proz portal are nothing to write home about. I get much better rates from Indian clients.

I therefore use the Brownies almost exclusively for blueboard purposes.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:23
SITE FOUNDER
Browniz will still be good for use of Blue Board May 11, 2004

Narasimhan wrote:
Hope the access to the blueboard using the Brownies is not discontinued.
We have no plans to discontinue the browniz-for-blueboard option. They will continue to be useful not only for that, but also for discounts on platinum membership.

I am talking of members like me, who do not see any appreciable benefit in Platinum membership
Indeed, some have maintained that paying and non-paying membership do not differ enough. This move makes them more different.

Mike Osman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:23
Member (2013)
English to Somali
+ ...
This is kicking non-paying members further out! May 11, 2004

I have contributed quite a lot to the site and built up quite a lot of browniz doing a few different things.

I am afraid I haven't built up a large enough client base to afford paying for platinum membership.

The vary rare occasions that I saw a job that I was interested I was applying for it paying with my browniz. But now that this option is being discontinued, I see no other way of getting the clients, making enough money to be able to pay for platinum membership.

Someone suggested the quotes costing more browniz. I thought that would be a more logical move rather than just ocmpletely getting rid of the quoting with browniz option, and at the same time driving out those of us who are looking for the first client contacts.

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:23
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not platinum, too, but I support May 11, 2004

I'm not platinum, but I support the decision of the site staff. Platinum members do need a support for their money. Now, when bids requires real money, more people will go platinum and it's for better. The priveleges they pay for should be paid of, so it's ok in my opinion, that's how it should be.

Mike Osman wrote:
I have contributed quite a lot to the site and built up quite a lot of browniz doing a few different things.

All members have contributed a lot, but platinums paid their money, so they helped the staff to keep the site going and depeloping. It's more than fair.

Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Since I started the debate... May 11, 2004

I just thought I'd add my two cents RE the new posts -- Mike's in particular.
As a platinum member, I have NO GRIPES whatsoever about non-platinums spending BrowniZ to quote jobs. I would dare to venture that many other platinums feel the same way.
One of the chief reasons I'm platinum is that Proz has given me a lot -- new friends, several good contacts, a community in what's a lonely job otherwise -- and I'm grateful. This is my way of thanking Proz and ensuring it will be an ongoing venture. And the fact that I have free access to the BB doesn't hurt!
I've rarely posted any job bids, so it makes no difference to me either way. Lately most jobs are already restricted to platinums anyway, so I can't see the reason for phasing out the use of browniz for that.
If non-platinums can spend browniz to expand their business, that's great. After all, they EARNED the browniz by contributing to the site.
Henry, any chance you'll rethink this? Perhaps by upping the ante in terms the number of browniz required to bid?

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Please don't do this! May 11, 2004

I am sorry to say, but in this case the non-platinum member must leave the site and platinum membership will not have any sense anymore.
Please Henry, don't do this!Think about it! There are a lot of non-members from poor countries, new here and looking for a job. How will they do it?
On the other hand you came to a thought of mine:
For jobposters platinum-membership doesn't help,because there are many who have it and it does not grant a better quality of translations if anyone can buy it.Somebody who finds this site,just knows a little of a foreign language and can immediatly buy platinum can then bid for jobs.Is this efficient and correct?
I am sorry but it is not. I see the things a little different.
This is a site where to groups have to meet and work together, but if from the start one group has to be blocked it will not work.
People have to get a job (at least one), have to work here on the site and after a time when his translation level is proofed and his activity on the site,he can ask for platinum. Platinum must not be only money,it will not help anybody, but the site financing probably.
Jobs must be for everybody, it is hard enough that there are much less jobs than translators, especially for some language pairs.
Jobposters have possibilities to make a selection. They look for platinum without being sure what it really means, then they ask for CAT and from the begining 3/4 of the bidders are eliminated.
And to whom will you pay the many for the job? To the site, to Henry, or to the jobposters? And then to loose money if you don't get the job? Who will afford and accept it?
If we have to "kill" each other now on this site, better close it.
Please Henry,consider everybody in your decision.Tell us how many of each group are registered on this site.
I am so sorry if platinum members have asked for this decision.

Thank you,
Ruxi

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Non-Platinum members can still quote May 11, 2004

Hi all,
There's one issue that appears to get lost in this debate: the abolition of using BrowniZ for quoting does not mean that non-Platinum members can no longer quote at all. They can still quote, but the only option for that is paying USD 1 per quote. If you're quoting frequently, it's worth getting at least a Partial Platinum membership for jobs.

Best regards, Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search