Database of translation organizations (associations, etc.) now online - your assistance is requested
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:43
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 26, 2004

Site moderators and staff have prepared a database of associations, translation and interpreting schools, and public bodies that have some relationship with translation. The purpose of this is to have a reference point for organizations in each of our areas, for credentials and their explanations, for sources of training, etc.

A fairly long list has been compiled, but if you know of organizations not listed, or can help fill out missing data, it will be for the benefit of the commun
... See more
Site moderators and staff have prepared a database of associations, translation and interpreting schools, and public bodies that have some relationship with translation. The purpose of this is to have a reference point for organizations in each of our areas, for credentials and their explanations, for sources of training, etc.

A fairly long list has been compiled, but if you know of organizations not listed, or can help fill out missing data, it will be for the benefit of the community. Suggestions on database usability will also be welcome.

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Looks great! (please don't edit title ;-) Jun 27, 2004

Henry and staff,

Looks like an excellent source of information, as one can expect from ProZ. Thanks again for the hard work.

Now, I was wondering, is this list located anywhere in the menu bar? I haven't looked hard, but I guess I should expect to find it either under the "Directory" or the "Community" menu entries. Are there any plans to place it permanently there?

Thanks,

Rubén

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:43
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Switzerland Jun 27, 2004

I'm missing Switzerland:
ASTTI - Association Suisse des Traducteurs, Terminologues et Interprètes

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 02:43
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
re: UTA - Ukrainian Translators Assoc. Jun 27, 2004

This organization is something quite obscure.... No names there, some time ago I had been trying to establish any contact with them to find out the credibility, so to say. I only found that the site was created by one person, and it looked that a single prson was trying to maintain the national professional association.
Besides, their membership rules are quite, so to say, strange, like, if you live in Kiev you can get a full membership, but if you live somewhere in the region/ province
... See more
This organization is something quite obscure.... No names there, some time ago I had been trying to establish any contact with them to find out the credibility, so to say. I only found that the site was created by one person, and it looked that a single prson was trying to maintain the national professional association.
Besides, their membership rules are quite, so to say, strange, like, if you live in Kiev you can get a full membership, but if you live somewhere in the region/ province - you can only be a correspondent member...
I would not include them into this directory, at least, before getting some credible information on their status first.

Henry wrote:

A fairly long list has been compiled, but if you know of organizations not listed, or can help fill out missing data, it will be for the benefit of the community. Suggestions on database usability will also be welcome.

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations[/quote]Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
List of ATA's approved T&I Schools Jun 27, 2004

Hello Henry,

Following is the link to the ATA's list of approved T&I schools worldwide. I attended Florida International University http://w3.fiu.edu/translation/. Anyone who has obtained a Certificate in Translation from an institution which does not appear on this list should contact the ATA to have it included if it meets their criteria. The information is at the bottom of this page.
... See more
Hello Henry,

Following is the link to the ATA's list of approved T&I schools worldwide. I attended Florida International University http://w3.fiu.edu/translation/. Anyone who has obtained a Certificate in Translation from an institution which does not appear on this list should contact the ATA to have it included if it meets their criteria. The information is at the bottom of this page.

http://www.atanet.org/acc/Approved_Schools.htm

HTH

[Edited at 2004-06-27 20:19]
Collapse

A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 17:43
Hi, Henry! Here's another one... Jun 27, 2004

School of Languages & Linguistics
University of Western Sydney
(BA / MA in Interpreting and Translation)

Congratulations on creating such an excellent source of information!

Cheers!

alejandra xx

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Another university Jun 27, 2004

You might want to add this under 'Translation and Interpreting Schools': Johannes Gutenberg University in Germersheim, Germany (www.fask.uni-mainz.de).

Thanks for setting up this list. It looks great! And I am sure it will be very helpful to many of us here.

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the quick update.

[Edited at 2004-06-27 08:25]

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Romania missing Jun 27, 2004

Here a body in Romania:

Romanian Ministry of Culture - Central Commission for Granting Translator Certificates

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 10:43
English to Arabic
+ ...
Qatar - WATA Jun 30, 2004

hello Henry,
World Arabic Translators Association (WATA), in Qatar
http://www.arabicwata.org/Arabic/index.html

Enza Esposito Degli Agli
Enza Esposito Degli Agli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ottima idea! Great idea! Jul 22, 2004

Henry wrote:

http://www.proz.com/translator_associations[/quote]

This is my contribution to your interesting proposal:
www.aiti.org
which is the site of the national Italian Translators and Interpreters Association.

Best regards,
Enza Esposito Degli Agli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Database of translation organizations (associations, etc.) now online - your assistance is requested

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »