Bugbear Virus looks like it came from ProZ.com (staff: it did not)
Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:46
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2002

I have just received an email apparently from ProZ, whether genuinely so or not I do not know, with an attachment containing the Bugbear virus. My Norton AntiVirus quarantined it and I have not been affected.

I was in such a hurry to delete it and get it off the computer that I did not take the details of the address, but it appeared to be in the form of a KudoZ question notification.

I have sent a support request about this and will also post it in \"Bugs\", but I am posting it here to so that more people will see it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:46
SITE FOUNDER
ProZ.com is not the source - Bugbear forwards emails Nov 18, 2002

Bugbear affects Windows-based machines. ProZ.com has never forwarded a windows-based virus. In fact, we are not aware of any virus ever having been passed by ProZ.com, which uses Linux-based servers.

THe bugbear virus forwards emails from the infected system. Your virus could have come from anyone who *received* a kudoz email.

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:46
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
same here Nov 18, 2002

I also received it, also fended off with Nortos AV. I have the details:

sender: info@oversettelser.no

Kudoz question, English-Russian, medical.

The funny thing is that I am not even listed for the English-Russian language pair.

Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Polish to German
+ ...
not even listed for the language pair Nov 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-18 17:16, Ban Csaba wrote:

I also received it, ...

The funny thing is that I am not even listed for the English-Russian language pair.

The virus takes pieces from the text of emails in the sender\'s inbox. So you needn\'t have to be listed for this specific pair, but your email must be in the adress book of the sender. If it\'s only one sender, we know about him:

- he receives English>Russian questions

- Jack and you are in his adress book.

If somebody reads this, to whom this may fit, please check your computer!

The sender is not necessarily info@oversettelser.no, it may be the sender, but it can be another email in the sender\'s adress book too.

I am sure, that ProZ.com cannot be the sender.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-18 17:45 ]

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same: KudoZ question here Nov 18, 2002

the address is info@oversettelser.no - poor guys who need advice in the English-Russian language pair right now!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-18 18:58 ]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't jump to conclusions! Nov 18, 2002

I posted the same reply in the \"Bugs\" forum already, but since Jack chose to post here as well, I might as well repeat it...

Quote:

I have just received an email containing the Bugbear virus apparently from a ProZ address.

Apparently is the key word here - given the very characteristics of Bugbear, there are only two facts you can conclude:

- A ProZ notification was stored anywhere in the e-mail system of the infected computer (note that this could be any ProZ user, member or non-member).

- A ProZ address was stored on the infected computer (and was probably taken from the same message).

(Note that the address cited a few times in this thread is not necessarily the sender of the infected mail - judging from experience with Bugbear, it probably isn\'t.

This was discussed in a number of threads about a month ago - check this one which also contains links to the Symantec site: www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=36945#36945

In any case, one should be extremely careful regarding the public posting of assumptions regarding a suspected virus spreader.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-18 20:46 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bugbear Virus looks like it came from ProZ.com (staff: it did not)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search