hogging homepage forum space
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2002

Some overly zealous member is currently monopolizing homepage forum space by posting the same message under NINE forum topics. This is not the first time that this member has done this. I call on this member and everyone else for that matter to think about the consequences of this selfish act.

The homepage has only 15 subject lines. Due to this limited space, the homepage should be limited to subjects that are of universal importance. While the offending subject above might
... See more
Some overly zealous member is currently monopolizing homepage forum space by posting the same message under NINE forum topics. This is not the first time that this member has done this. I call on this member and everyone else for that matter to think about the consequences of this selfish act.

The homepage has only 15 subject lines. Due to this limited space, the homepage should be limited to subjects that are of universal importance. While the offending subject above might be important, if true, posting it under NINE forum topics is tantamount to monopoly, leading to other, perhaps more important issues for the majority, being bumped off the homepage. This now forces us to go look for these subjects in the main forum page (which takes longer) instead of simply clicking on the link on the homepage.

I\'ve recently proposed to the other mods and to Henry to restrict *homepage* forum space to subjects that are of universal importance. This means that:

1) Absolutely no repeat messages posted under more than one subject line (as we\'ve seen with the above example of Mr. Albertov -whose forum posting privileges have been suspended until he acknowledges and honors forum etiquette). All repeat messages, whether deliberate or accidental (oops I clicked on \'reply to this message\' twice), will be deleted.

2) All off-topic subjects will not appear on the homepage. If you want to read off-topic subjects, please go to the main forum page. Forum moderators are called on to re-assign forum topics to or from the off-topic line if necessary.

3) All misdirected messages (oops, I clicked on \'post a new topic\' instead of \'reply to this message\') shall be reposted under the appropriate subject or deleted, where necesary.

Folks, the goal is to optimize *homepage* forum space for everyone\'s universal enjoyment and to minimize factional interests as much as possible (this is why we have division under languages). Again, forum subjects are posted on the homepage so that a subject that interests the majority is just a click away.

If you\'re searching for that thread about rates or that discussion about translation techniques, wouldn\'t it save you time if the subject line is on the homepage?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-23 16:20 ]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:47
English to German
Don't post the same message in more than one topic Nov 23, 2002

...and think about the right topic before posting - I\'d consider this a basic rule.

Also, the objective of the language-specific forums is to deal with language-specific or, at most, region-specific subjects - NOT general warnings of any kind .

With the exception of explicitly off-topic sections, I would like this site to remain focused on translation.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:47
German to English
Concur Nov 23, 2002

Yes, Marcus and Endre. I remember the way it was before we had the \"homepage forum.\" A person had to dedicate some special time just to the forums to find out what was happening. Now, I can keep up with them from the homepage and decide what I want to pursue.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Off-topic forum access Nov 23, 2002

This development makes it more urgent to give everyone normal access to the Off-Topic Forum on the main forum topics page. A few individuals have this but most of us don\'t. This topic has been raised several times since the Off-Topic Forum was introduced. I eventually found a work-around for access to it and posted it in a forum. This was way back about June, I think, but only today I have seen two forum messages from people who have only just discovered this method of access or maybe only ... See more
This development makes it more urgent to give everyone normal access to the Off-Topic Forum on the main forum topics page. A few individuals have this but most of us don\'t. This topic has been raised several times since the Off-Topic Forum was introduced. I eventually found a work-around for access to it and posted it in a forum. This was way back about June, I think, but only today I have seen two forum messages from people who have only just discovered this method of access or maybe only just discovered that the Off-Topic forum exists. Please could something be done about this at last?Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Off-Topic Forum access Nov 23, 2002

Agree with Jack.

I\'m the Off Topic Forum moderator and, although I know the subjects discussed are less \"important\", it\'s very unpleasant to feel that it\'s a \"second class\" forum. As Jack says, and as it has been said in the bugs forum, not every body can see the \"Off Topic Forum\" and the \"Powwow Forum\" in the main forum page. I understand Marcus\' point, but may be limitting to just the latest thread of the Off Topic Forum, just one, would remind every body that
... See more
Agree with Jack.

I\'m the Off Topic Forum moderator and, although I know the subjects discussed are less \"important\", it\'s very unpleasant to feel that it\'s a \"second class\" forum. As Jack says, and as it has been said in the bugs forum, not every body can see the \"Off Topic Forum\" and the \"Powwow Forum\" in the main forum page. I understand Marcus\' point, but may be limitting to just the latest thread of the Off Topic Forum, just one, would remind every body that it exists....

And trying to fit the access to, would be nice.
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
It would be nice if it showed up... Nov 24, 2002

Good evening Claudia

I do not understand *why* the off-topic forum does not show up in the \"Forum Home\" page like all the rest of them...

I think that more people would use it, if it was accessible like any other forum.

Why is it being kept separate or so difficult to access?

Wasn\'t it created so that the postings on the other forums would more relate to our pr
... See more
Good evening Claudia

I do not understand *why* the off-topic forum does not show up in the \"Forum Home\" page like all the rest of them...

I think that more people would use it, if it was accessible like any other forum.

Why is it being kept separate or so difficult to access?

Wasn\'t it created so that the postings on the other forums would more relate to our profession, and that this *off-topic* forum was for any ol\' chit-chat

We are *communicators* by nature folks, but it doesn\'t mean that all we care to talk about is related specifically to translation!

Also, I noticed that if I click on a subject line which is posted in the Off-Topic forum, I cannot get back to the main Proz site: The golden color is blue and if I click on *home* when I am in the Off-Topic forum, I get a *Proz* main page, but in blue and without the latest forum threads at the bottom of the page.

Does this happen to everyone else too or just me???

Curiously yours

Nathalie

Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:47
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
No problems getting back Nov 24, 2002

I normally use the \"back\" button to come out of Off Topic, but just tried using the home button and I don\'t have your problem, Nathalie, I get there normally.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Jack Nov 24, 2002

Mmmm... strange, ok...thanks Jack!

Nathalie

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
So there's a PowWow forum too? Nov 25, 2002

Where is it hiding?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ staff are checking this Nov 25, 2002

I spoke to Marta yesterday, and described the problem... she will look into it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hogging homepage forum space

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »