https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/720-does_anyone_know_of_internet_based_translation_scams.html

Does anyone know of Internet based translation scams?
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 17:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2001

I would like to know if anyone has come across instances of Internet based translation scams/ frauds.

Is there any agency in USA and other countries where we can file complaints aginst suspected Internet based translation frauds?

From what I have read about other Internet based scams/ frauds, the pattern of operation for most of the Internet based frauds is almost similar :

Some of the Interner based translation frauds could posibly be :

... See more
I would like to know if anyone has come across instances of Internet based translation scams/ frauds.

Is there any agency in USA and other countries where we can file complaints aginst suspected Internet based translation frauds?

From what I have read about other Internet based scams/ frauds, the pattern of operation for most of the Internet based frauds is almost similar :

Some of the Interner based translation frauds could posibly be :

1. getting full translation done via sample translation route.

2. Sending congratulatory messages for having bagged the translation job, but never hearing from them. This is possibly done to keep you under the impression that you should be participate in the bidding activity, lest you quit the agency or stop bidding.

3. refusal to show the full coordinates of the job poster.

4. Continously posting jobs in different languages, almost in a cyclic manner to give you the impression that the job poster has many jobs under him.

5. Charging fees for the membership of an agency , by just showing a large number of job postings.

6. Not closing job postings on a regular basis.

7. Posting jobs under any fictious name and never to be able to contact them, after you have submitted the trasnlation in good faith.

8. Asking for quotations for bids and later on send the shortlisted translators a sample translation and this way get the entire translation done free of cost.

9. Not paying the translators under one pretex or other.

Is there any organization in USA or elsewhere to investigate posible scams/ frauds in the araea of translations.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-03 08:00 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 07:35
German to English
+ ...
Who to turn to? Dec 3, 2001

For such fraudulent operations in the US, you can always contact the local Attorney General\'s Office - at least, that\'s what I have done in the past.

In Canada, I have contacted the RCMP (the \"Mounties\") and their fraud department in such cases.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know of Internet based translation scams?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »