Let us all call our community by its name:

ProZ.com

i.e. [prouz dot com]

In Budapest I heard the most funny (and incorrect) prononciations:

[prozee]
[prozed]
[protz]

all without the 'dot com'

After all it is a word game with mnemonics glue (the Z) to it: Pro(fessional)s > Pros > ProZ

like Kudos (praise, honour) > KudoZ [kjudos]

and

brownie
... See more
Hi all,

ProZ.com

i.e. [prouz dot com]

[prozee]
[prozed]
[protz]

After all it is a word game with mnemonics glue (the Z) to it: Pro(fessional)s > Pros > ProZ

and

brownies > BrowniZ (small cake with chocolate and and nut splints): "She was trying to get (earn) brownie points" = "She tried to get plus points/praise"

Mats
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Russian to English
+ ...
... May 5, 2007

Are you being serious?

[Edited at 2007-05-05 12:32]

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same happens here in Peru May 5, 2007

I have also heard many people saying:

prozee, or prozed

The reason for this, I assume, is the capital "Z" which makes people confused trying to add it to the first word, or making them think that the capital "Z" is the beginning of another word (that is never there). So, from ProZ, they take "P-r-o" as one word (pronounced "pro"), and then a floating "Z" (which can be pronounced "zee" or "zed"). If the original name would be "Proz", all in small letters, I think there w
... See more
I have also heard many people saying:

prozee, or prozed

The reason for this, I assume, is the capital "Z" which makes people confused trying to add it to the first word, or making them think that the capital "Z" is the beginning of another word (that is never there). So, from ProZ, they take "P-r-o" as one word (pronounced "pro"), and then a floating "Z" (which can be pronounced "zee" or "zed"). If the original name would be "Proz", all in small letters, I think there would be no pronunciation problems.

The dot-com is almost never mentioned (although it is part of the original name), because millions of companies around the world have that extension. Nobody is saying: "This is the website of Pepsi-dot-com", just "Pepsi".

Don't worry, at least I pronounce it good

[Edited at 2007-05-06 00:38]
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
German to English
Previous quick poll May 5, 2007

Hi Mats,

May I remind you of a previous quick poll, "How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?", where this topic was discussed extensively. Please see http://www.proz.com/topic/42785

Best regards,
Niraja

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:09
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Respect for the creator (Henry) is my message May 5, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:Hi Mats,
May I remind you of a previous quick poll, "How do you pronounce the *ProZ* in ProZ.com?", where this topic was discussed extensively. Please see http://www.proz.com/topic/42785
Best regards,
Niraja

Dear Niraja,

You most certainly may. I had forgotten this poll, which amply described the great variation of prononciations.

My object though, is to suggest that we ALL adopt Henry's prononciation.
I was one of the 'ProZedians' until I realised that the creator said prouz dot com.

Konstantin Kisin
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
does Henry feel he's being disrespected? May 5, 2007

Forgive me Mats but as someone who was born in a totalitarian society I have an inherent distate for any attempt to enforce compliance with this sort of pointless initiative.

Is this something that really bothers Henry? From what I know of him I very much doubt it

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Most of us appreciate our name being correctly spelled and pronounced. May 5, 2007

Konstantin Kisin wrote:
does Henry feel he's being disrespected?

I haven't a clue but I think we should add some respect to the fact that he (and a few others ) pronounce the community name as 'prouz dot com'.

Forgive me Mats but as someone who was born in a totalitarian society I have an inherent distate for any attempt to enforce compliance with this sort of pointless initiative.

Enforce? I am an old member and love this site and want it to florish further. It's nothing more than that.

Is this something that really bothers Henry? From what I know of him I very much doubt it

I do not know. Henry is very open to let everyone has as much free space as possible, so he has not complained AFAIK, but I'm pretty confident that he would appreciate 'prouz dot com'

[Edited at 2007-05-05 14:41]

Konstantin Kisin
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
the site flourishes because of diversity May 5, 2007

Mats Wiman wrote:
Enforce? I am an old member and love this site and want it to florish further. It's nothing more than that.

I have been on Proz for close to 3 years and I think the reason the site continues to flourish is that it allows everyone to do what they like within a framework of fairly relaxed rules and guidelines. I value that freedom and I respect everyone's right to call the site what they like. After all, part of the reason different people pronounce "Proz" differently is that "z" is pronounced differently in different languages and even English dialects.

Henry is very open to let everyone has as much free space as possible.

Yep so why go against his approach? I suspect Henry doesn't care much what people call Proz.com provided they're talking about it

carla melis
carla melis
English to Italian
i got it right then ;-) May 5, 2007

Hi everybody!

I have always pronounced it and thought of it as

prouz dot com

just because it's short for 'professionals' (even though it has Z instead of S), or because in Italian we just read every letter pretty much the way it is written...
Pro Zed? Pro zee? Never...

I find that if I'm on the phone with somebody and I tell them 'prouz dot com' they know exactly how to spell it, and get the web address right...

just my opini
... See more
Hi everybody!

I have always pronounced it and thought of it as

prouz dot com

just because it's short for 'professionals' (even though it has Z instead of S), or because in Italian we just read every letter pretty much the way it is written...
Pro Zed? Pro zee? Never...

I find that if I'm on the phone with somebody and I tell them 'prouz dot com' they know exactly how to spell it, and get the web address right...

just my opinion...

Ciao
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
So, is it not "Pro - Zeta"? May 5, 2007

Maaaaan, I feel like a fool now. I've been calling it "Pro-Zeta" (in a nice, thick Spanish accent) for years. lol

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Let us keep this a translation site. Let us not create a cult atmosphere May 5, 2007

Mats Wiman wrote:

Hi all,

ProZ.com

i.e. [prouz dot com]

[prozee]
[prozed]
[protz]

and

brownies > BrowniZ (small cake with chocolate and and nut splints): "She was trying to get (earn) brownie points" = "She tried to get plus points/praise"

Mats Wiman
Respect for the creator (Henry) is my message

Mats

Despite your use of quasi-Biblical English, I really don't think "our community" is meant to be a cult experience. Afaik, this is a site that is for any and all who are involved or interested in translation. It's different things to different people. However they pronounce it. The site has been localised into so many languages. Let people pronounce it as they see fit. I don't see how this could involve disrespect to anyone.
It's nice that you admire the site so much and are are so devoted to it. But please don't get carried away.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
let nature take its course May 5, 2007

If it looks to German and Austrian speakers like "Protz" it's going to be pronounced "protz", whatever the totalitarians say. Here in Spain, my colleagues all pronounce it "Proth" because that's what it looks like to them. Heaven knows how our Chinese or Malaysian colleagues pronounce it.

If Henry had thought it vital that the name was pronounced identically everywhere in the world he would have addressed himself to the impossible task of finding a name that was neutral in pronuncia
... See more
If it looks to German and Austrian speakers like "Protz" it's going to be pronounced "protz", whatever the totalitarians say. Here in Spain, my colleagues all pronounce it "Proth" because that's what it looks like to them. Heaven knows how our Chinese or Malaysian colleagues pronounce it.

If Henry had thought it vital that the name was pronounced identically everywhere in the world he would have addressed himself to the impossible task of finding a name that was neutral in pronunciation terms - but of course there isn't one.

Has Mats ever reflected on the varying pronunciations of, for example, Marlboro and Adidas? In the Iberian peninsula, they're pronounced Marlbóro and Adídas, not Márlboro and Ádidás as in the Anglo-Saxon world. I can't remeber their CEOs complaining about that.

Cristina has already said all that needs to be said about the "dot com" part of the name.

Enough of this paranoia - let's just celebrate the fact that the name is reaching the four corners of the planet, even if it is pronounced "splat" in Dayak.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:09
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I always assumed.... May 5, 2007

...that it was ProZee because of the capital Z. If it was to be pronounced Prouz, then to me, it should be spelled Proz, without the capital Z. After all, what's the capital Z for? Not to offend anyone, but it'll always be ProZeeeeeeeee to meeeeee!

Amy

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 16:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
Henry - The Wizard of Proz May 6, 2007

Me and my Chinese colleague have always instinctively called it Proz with the oz as in the Wizard of Oz. I'm not going to change and I don't think I'm putting Henry's nose to much out of joint while he's receiving my subscription fee:)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Like "prose"? May 6, 2007

Chinese Concept wrote:

Me and my Chinese colleague have always instinctively called it Proz with the oz as in the Wizard of Oz. I'm not going to change and I don't think I'm putting Henry's nose to much out of joint while he's receiving my subscription fee:)

I like the idea of the Wizard of Proz!
So do I understand that it's meant to be pronounced like "prose" (as opposed to verse)? I, too, wrongly assumed it was meant to be pronounced "Pro-Zee", because I also (perhaps wrongly) assumed it was American. Anyway, I love it, however it's pronounced - so entertaining, informative and truly helpful - and have become a ProZ addict.
Regards,
Jenny.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let us call it ProZ.com

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »