Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Members: A new ProZ.com design is now available for testing
Thread poster: Colin Brady

Colin Brady
Local time: 22:58
SITE STAFF
Sep 27, 2007

Dear Members,

As you may already know, a revised look-and-feel for the site has been in development for a while. The idea is to make the site a bit more intuitive, and a bit more appealing to new outsourcers and new visitors. What we hear from them with the current look and feel is that it is not as appealing or intuitive as it could be.

We have done some work with the help of select individuals. Thank you! At this point, we are inviting all members to try out the new design. We have provided a way for you to do that: to switch back and forth between the old and new design, click the "switch site version" link which can be found on the bottom of most pages. This is available to members only for now.

In addition to the cosmetic changes, the update includes a few improvements under the surface. One notable new feature is the ability to customize the home page. You can decide what gets shown, and how much of it gets shown on the home page. Forum search has also been improved.

Now, in order to further improve the usability of the new design, we need your feedback, however detailed. If you have trouble finding anything, even just a moment, let us know. If you find yourself needing a link somewhere, tell us. Is there something that takes too many steps? Please post feedback here or write to me directly.

Thank you in advance for helping to improve the usability of ProZ.com and the impression given to customers and visitors new to our site!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jobs not visible Sep 27, 2007

Instead of the jobs-box I see some box about powwows when switching to new design.

Dilshod Madolimov  Identity Verified
Uzbekistan
Local time: 06:58
English to Uzbek
+ ...
Please give a link... Sep 27, 2007

How can I try out the new design? Please give a link to the new design. Or maybe it is there, but I don't see it?

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:58
Portuguese to English
Beware if you try it out... Sep 27, 2007

...because there is no facility for going back to the 'old' design if you don't like it (that I can find, anyway). This is like taking a pair of trousers into the fitting room to see if they suit you, and then be told by the shop assistant that they've burnt your old trousers, so you'd better put up with what you've been given.

Don't get me wrong - there are aspects of the new design that I like - it's cleaner and less cluttered - but some features I found crucial (like Kudoz Terms) are no longer available on the home page. But I have to live with that, whether I like it or not, because I can't switch back to the old design.

The claim that you can "customise the home page" ("a notable new feature") is rather hollow. You can merely change the font size, and the relative positions of 4 items only. You can't decide what you would like to see on the home page and what you'd like to dispense with. I'd expected from that statement to be presented with a menu from which I could construct my home page the way I wanted it. This is not customisation as I understand it.

I'm afraid this is just another typical Proz.com "consultation" exercise - the site staff decide what is going to be foisted on us and then go through a cosmetic consultation or testing exercise to make it look as if there's freedom of choice. When is this incredible arrogance going to end?

Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:58
Member (2005)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Switching back Sep 27, 2007

lexical wrote:

...because there is no facility for going back to the 'old' design if you don't like it (that I can find, anyway).

The 'switch back' link is at the very bottom right hand side of the home page, in the darkest part of the green bar. It took me awhile to find it as well!
Francina

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Should be "Switch site version link" in page footer Sep 27, 2007

Hi lexical,

lexical wrote:

...because there is no facility for going back to the 'old' design if you don't like it (that I can find, anyway). This is like taking a pair of trousers into the fitting room to see if they suit you, and then be told by the shop assistant that they've burnt your old trousers, so you'd better put up with what you've been given.

As I stated in my original post, there should be a link on the bottom of the page (old and new design) that says "Switch site version". I have logged in as you and it looks like it's there. If you still can't find it, please let me know.

Don't get me wrong - there are aspects of the new design that I like - it's cleaner and less cluttered - but some features I found crucial (like Kudoz Terms) are no longer available on the home page. But I have to live with that, whether I like it or not, because I can't switch back to the old design.

KudoZ has not been removed from the home page. As I stated in my post, you should be able to customize your home page here: http://www.proz.com/profile?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=general_settings

The claim that you can "customise the home page" ("a notable new feature") is rather hollow. You can merely change the font size, and the relative positions of 4 items only. You can't decide what you would like to see on the home page and what you'd like to dispense with. I'd expected from that statement to be presented with a menu from which I could construct my home page the way I wanted it. This is not customisation as I understand it.

Are you suggesting there are items you would like added or removed from the home page? If so, please explain which items.

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Currently, the new design is only open to members. Sep 27, 2007

Hi Dilshod,

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

How can I try out the new design? Please give a link to the new design. Or maybe it is there, but I don't see it?

Currently, the new design is only open to members.

Hi Heinrich,

Dilshod Madolimov wrote:

Instead of the jobs-box I see some box about powwows when switching to new design.

The jobs section on the home page is supposed to display the latest jobs that meet your preferences (according to your search filters set on the jobs page), but it seems there is a bug. I am looking into this now. Thanks for posting.

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Got my old trousers back! Sep 27, 2007

I must say the switch back facility was well tucked away - no wonder I couldn't see it.

When I said this isn't what I mean by customisable, I meant it would be good to keep 'Term Search' (that's what I meant by Kudoz Search, but I'd lost the box on the new design so I got the name wrong), 'Search', Kudoz questions, Forum topics, User Information and Quick Poll. If I had the choice I'd delete Featured Translator and Featured Outsourcer (or whatever it's called) and everything to do with Conferences, Pow-wows and 'Trainings'.

I'm not saying this would suit everyone, but if the home page was genuinely customisable, we could all construct the one we want. When I thought "customisable" actually meant "customisable", I was quite excited and impressed. Seems I'll have to contain my ardour.

[Edited at 2007-09-27 19:36]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:58
SITE FOUNDER
Please do not attack staff members Sep 27, 2007

lexical wrote:
I'm afraid this is just another typical Proz.com "consultation" exercise - the site staff decide what is going to be foisted on us and then go through a cosmetic consultation or testing exercise to make it look as if there's freedom of choice. When is this incredible arrogance going to end?

Thanks for supporting the site with your membership. Our goal as site staff members is to serve you.

If you don't think the current exercise is legitimate, whatever your reasons, please simply refrain from taking part. In any case, the forum rules prohibit attacks, and I would ask that you consider this rule to apply to attacks against staff members (and moderators) as well as colleagues.

Thank you.

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Moved site design link Sep 27, 2007

I moved the link in the new design that allows you to switch to the old design. It should be more visible.

Colin Brady
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Home page jobs bug Sep 27, 2007

Hi Heinrich,

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I believe I've tracked down this bug. Your jobs should now show up on the home page again. Thanks for your patience and thanks again for posting this.

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
I like it Sep 27, 2007

I have opened the proz.com website in two separate browser windows, one with the old design and one with the new one. This way I could compare it directly. I have looked around now for a while, and I must say, I like it! It is very nice! It is not so different from the old design that I feel I have to get used to proz.com in a completely new way, I still recognize it.
But there are a lot of things I like better than the old design, here are some of them:

No 1: no ads! (I especially disliked the moving and flickering ones)
But I assume, once the new design is the default, it will no longer be without ads? Sad, but of course I understand...

Well, but here are some of the other things I like:

No 2: the box where you can choose the site language is no longer at the top. I like that, because I do not want to change this setting, so I do not need the box on top of the site.
But for new users or visitors it might be useful to see at once that there is such an option, so for them it would be better if it was at the top again...

No 3: the bottom of the site with the menu (About, Help, Tools, etc.) looks much better than in the old version, much clearer and much more concise.

No 4: you have changed the "Z" in the proz.com logo, haven't you? I like that, too

And a lot of other things ... well done!

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Like it Sep 27, 2007

Much clearer, less cluttered, not too different from the old design (as Katrin already said).

I like the new design.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jobs are now ok Sep 28, 2007

I agree the new design looks better. But somehow the titel bar seems to take more room than before. I use a laptop most of the time, and I have to scroll down more than before in order to get at the beef.
Cheers
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Members: A new ProZ.com design is now available for testing

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search