https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/9128-edit_instant_messenger_data_new_feature.html

Edit instant messenger data - new feature?
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:02
English to German
+ ...
Mar 5, 2003

Hi there,

I just discovered a feature called \"Edit instant messenger data\" on the profile page. I have not been following the changes on the profile page for a while, so I am not quite sure whether this is a new feature or not.

Apart from that, is anyone out there using instant messaging, such as Yahoo Messenger or ICQ, on a regular basis to communicate with (potential) clients?

If so, what is your experience with it?

W
... See more
Hi there,

I just discovered a feature called \"Edit instant messenger data\" on the profile page. I have not been following the changes on the profile page for a while, so I am not quite sure whether this is a new feature or not.

Apart from that, is anyone out there using instant messaging, such as Yahoo Messenger or ICQ, on a regular basis to communicate with (potential) clients?

If so, what is your experience with it?

Would you recommend it to other translators?

I\'ve heard that security with instant messaging systems is not very high, so sending/receiving confidential files through, e.g., ICQ is not recommended. Any experience with that?

Regards,

Sonja

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-05 09:03]
Collapse

Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great tool Mar 5, 2003

Hello Sonja,

I\'ve been using Yahoo! Messenger to communicate with clients (both potential and \"real\") and colleagues for almost 2 years now. It is a great tool to instantly share knowledge, confirm availability and manage projects. I could not work without it, and my clients are equally delighted with the possibilities it brings us.

Regarding security, we do not share (confidential) files through Messenger. We prefer using PGP e-mail or ftp - just in
... See more
Hello Sonja,

I\'ve been using Yahoo! Messenger to communicate with clients (both potential and \"real\") and colleagues for almost 2 years now. It is a great tool to instantly share knowledge, confirm availability and manage projects. I could not work without it, and my clients are equally delighted with the possibilities it brings us.

Regarding security, we do not share (confidential) files through Messenger. We prefer using PGP e-mail or ftp - just in case. Nevertheless, it is a fast and reliable tool to send and receive files of any size on a peer-to-peer scheme. It also has interesting features similar to those of good ol\' Netmeeting - blackboard, web cam, telephone… I personally prefer Messenger to MSN or ICQ.

You can also try Trillian (www.ceruleanstudios.com) which is kind of \"unified\" IM, compliant with the most popular IM programs.

I highly recommend IM for professional use.

Best regards,

Félix www.FelixSaiz.com

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-05 11:24]
Collapse

Beatraduc (X)
Beatraduc (X)
English to French
I have discoved that feature recently but I think it great. Mar 5, 2003

In fact, a new potential client helped me to install it (in fact it is easy) and now I use Yahoo Messenger to communicate.With a microphone and speakers with can talk to each other even if we are far and as we use an illimitate connexion, it doens\'t cost anything.

Regarding security I don\'t know but as you said so I\'ll be careful.

Have a try

Beatrice

Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
using IM to communicate with clients Nov 20, 2007

Hello Sonja
I have one client who uses it he practically never uses email - so we communicate via Yahoo Messenger, but personally I really dislike using IM for professional communication. He insists he's too busy and has too many clients to use email - he seems to thinke email is slow and old-fashioned, but I'm not a fan of IM anyway! I wouldn't recommend it very highly. I'd avoid using it professionally if I could. And on occassions he sends a message that was meant for someone else! I th
... See more
Hello Sonja
I have one client who uses it he practically never uses email - so we communicate via Yahoo Messenger, but personally I really dislike using IM for professional communication. He insists he's too busy and has too many clients to use email - he seems to thinke email is slow and old-fashioned, but I'm not a fan of IM anyway! I wouldn't recommend it very highly. I'd avoid using it professionally if I could. And on occassions he sends a message that was meant for someone else! I think with translation email is better as you have to more time to be precise about everything, and write everything out properly, and have time to reflect and check what you're saying, whereas you don't with IM. I think it is probably worth having IM so you are "contactable" in as many ways as possible but I doubt it will ever really "take off' as a means of business communication.
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Old Thread Nov 20, 2007

The last response has drawn my attention to this really old thread but I personally think the issue of instant messaging is still very up-to-date.

I for one have tried using IM in my daily life, in fact only started to use it actively (for private purposes) in May this year. However, I still don't feel the need to use it for professional purposes. In fact, the only client who ever requested my IM details just did so a couple of days ago, and it was more like "put me on your buddy li
... See more
The last response has drawn my attention to this really old thread but I personally think the issue of instant messaging is still very up-to-date.

I for one have tried using IM in my daily life, in fact only started to use it actively (for private purposes) in May this year. However, I still don't feel the need to use it for professional purposes. In fact, the only client who ever requested my IM details just did so a couple of days ago, and it was more like "put me on your buddy list in case you need to contact me urgently".

So, are there any more recent experiences with IM in business, and if so, how important is it for you? Is it already a part of your (private) life (e.g., being in contact with friends, relatives) or do you use it for business exclusively?

Sonja
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit instant messenger data - new feature?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »