Improvements to ProZ.com term search
Thread poster: Andrew
Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
Jan 10, 2008

Hello ProZians,

Thanks for your feedback and requests related to ProZ.com term search – http://www.proz.com/search

This post is to inform you that improvements have been made to this feature.

First, the speed at which the search results are returned has been improved.

Second, it's possible to do more refined searches. By using the plus (+) and hyphen (-) c
... See more
Hello ProZians,

Thanks for your feedback and requests related to ProZ.com term search – http://www.proz.com/search

This post is to inform you that improvements have been made to this feature.

First, the speed at which the search results are returned has been improved.

Second, it's possible to do more refined searches. By using the plus (+) and hyphen (-) characters, you can require or exclude words from your results. For example, to find results containing the words fire and engine, require both words by using "+fire +engine" as the search term. To exclude any results that contain the word red, alter the search term to read "+fire +engine -red" and any result with red will be filtered out. Note that these operators work only when the 'Match exact phrase' option is not checked.

Third, the search works better with acronyms.

Finally, a problem that existed in Japanese or Chinese searching has been corrected. The feature should now be more useful for these languages.

Please give us any additional feedback you may have. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
German to English
Thanks, Andrew Jan 10, 2008

I sometimes use the term search, as it is quite useful in my language pair in areas such as law and finance. I'm sure the improvements you have made will be of help.

Thanks and regards,
Niraja

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:23
German to French
+ ...
Great ! Jan 10, 2008

Hi Andrew

Thank you ! The refined search works great - it makes searching for a term quicker and easier !

Take care,
Anne

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
accents Jan 10, 2008

I seem to have had some problems searching for words with accents - the letters concerned are not included as part of the word, so no matches are coming up for things I'm sure I've looked up before.
E.g.: "édité" is returning "dit" (this was how i realised why things weren't coming up).

Am I doing something wrong? How can I find these words?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:23
English to French
+ ...
Boolean operators are a welcome improvement Jan 11, 2008

Thanks so much for this! Although I don't use the term search that much, maybe I will use it more often because it will probably return more relevant results, and will thus become more usable.

Kathryn Strachecky
Kathryn Strachecky  Identity Verified
French to English
Good job Jan 11, 2008

Thanks for all the hard work, Andrew. I find the term search very useful sometimes and this should make it even better!

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Accents are now maintained. Jan 11, 2008

Hello Paula,

Thank you for pointing out the accent problem. If you try another search containing accented characters, you should now see more relevant results.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nice improvements - I'd like to suggest another Jan 17, 2008

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for working to improve this feature of the site; it's probably the one I use most and being able to refine searches has always been a bit of an issue.

I'd like to make another suggestion: multiple field search.

Often an entry can be made in any of several fields. While they can be hard to locate in a specific field, you don't want a list of every single entry for that term because the list becomes too long. Being able to select several fi
... See more
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for working to improve this feature of the site; it's probably the one I use most and being able to refine searches has always been a bit of an issue.

I'd like to make another suggestion: multiple field search.

Often an entry can be made in any of several fields. While they can be hard to locate in a specific field, you don't want a list of every single entry for that term because the list becomes too long. Being able to select several fields rather than just "one" or "all" could simplify this. I'd best illustrate with an example:

I might be searching for a common word with a specific usage in the medical/pharmaceutical field. As it is, I either run a general search that might return 100 results that I have to sift through, or run consecutive individual searches for "Medical: General", "Medical: Cardiology", "Medical: Instruments", etc. until I find the term.

In addition to the fact that entries can often be quite arbitrary, the available fields also seem a little bit random. Why "Cardiology" and "Instruments" but not "Neurology", "Surgery" or "Radiology", for example?

I'm sure I would be able to save a lot of time if I was able to run a search selecting several fields, or if there was a field named "Medical: All".

Thanks for your consideration,

Álvaro ))
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improvements to ProZ.com term search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »