https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/9593-learnt_or_learned.html

Learnt or Learned
Thread poster: Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2003

Hello there,

I was chatting with a friend and he corrected me when I wrote the word \'learnt\' as \'she learnt a lot today\'.

I was taught that I can use either \'learnt\' or learned when referring to the past tense of the verb \'learnd\'. He said that in my trade \'learnt\' would be unaccepted.

Would it?

Pamela

Pamela

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:59
German to English
+ ...
Post as English monolingual question Mar 21, 2003

Why not post it as an English monolingual question?

Just a thought.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
both are acceptable Mar 21, 2003

Rather arrogant of your friend to correct you! Language is not fixed, and there are many regional variations.

Both are correct, as any English verb list will confirm.

Here is an FAQ from http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/learnt?view=print

What is the difference between learnt and learned? ... See more
Rather arrogant of your friend to correct you! Language is not fixed, and there are many regional variations.

Both are correct, as any English verb list will confirm.

Here is an FAQ from http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/learnt?view=print

What is the difference between learnt and learned?

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt ****is more common**** in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil, etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity.

Note that ****is more common**** is just a question of preference. I think I personally use the -ed form more.

HTH

Ailish
Collapse

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends Mar 21, 2003

I think it depends: in British English it is possible to use learnt or learned, whereas in American English learned is more common. So it would depend on which market you were translating for as to which one you would use.

Sarah.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
Italian to English
Depends on context Mar 21, 2003

Without indulging in any research, my gut reaction is that \"learnt\" is the most common option for the past definite and past participle of the verb \"to learn\".

\"Learned\" on the other hand (2 syllables) is an adjective meaning scholarly and erudite.

moxwhite
moxwhite
Italian to English
Both are correct Mar 21, 2003

I totally agree with Ailish. Both are acceptable. I teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)and both past participles are correct. Unlike Ailish, however, I tend to use learnt more than learned. But I must tell you that you have caused an argument between my husband and myself. He insists that it is learned (but then he does come from Hartlepool where they hung the monkey! and where they pronounce Hartlepool as Artlepool)

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
..where they hanged teh monkey... Mar 25, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-21 21:15, moxwhite wrote:

I totally agree with Ailish. Both are acceptable. I teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)and both past participles are correct. Unlike Ailish, however, I tend to use learnt more than learned. But I must tell you that you have caused an argument between my husband and myself. He insists that it is learned (but then he does come from Hartlepool where they hung the monkey! an... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-21 21:15, moxwhite wrote:

I totally agree with Ailish. Both are acceptable. I teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)and both past participles are correct. Unlike Ailish, however, I tend to use learnt more than learned. But I must tell you that you have caused an argument between my husband and myself. He insists that it is learned (but then he does come from Hartlepool where they hung the monkey! and where they pronounce Hartlepool as Artlepool)

Tricky things these past tenses, aren\'t they!!

Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
To my learned friend ........ Mar 31, 2003

Both learnt and learned are correct.

Ref.: A Concise Dictionary of Correct English, B.A. Phythian.

A very handy book
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learnt or Learned

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »