https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_bugs/137234-character_counter_for_answers_to_peer_comments_doesnt_work_correctly_staff_fixed_thanks.html

Character counter for answers to peer comments doesn't work correctly (staff: 'Fixed. Thanks!')
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2009

Dear fellow Prozians,

I am encountering problems with the counter showing the remaining number of characters when entering responses to peer comments. The counter does initially show the remaining number of characters, but does not change while I'm typing. I can enter more characters than allowed. My response will then be truncated. When I try to edit my response, the counter again shows the correct amount of remaining characters (a negative figure when the response got truncated),
... See more
Dear fellow Prozians,

I am encountering problems with the counter showing the remaining number of characters when entering responses to peer comments. The counter does initially show the remaining number of characters, but does not change while I'm typing. I can enter more characters than allowed. My response will then be truncated. When I try to edit my response, the counter again shows the correct amount of remaining characters (a negative figure when the response got truncated), but still, the counter does not change while I'm typing.

I am using Firefox 3.0.10 on a Windows XP machine (SP3). I have already submitted a support request, but staff weren't able to reproduce the problem. As I'm seeing more responses to peer comments being truncated lately, I suspect that I'm not the only one suffering from this problem. Hence, I'd like to collect some feedback in order to facilitate trouble-shooting.

So: Does anyone else encounter this problem? And under which circumstances (software versions etc.) does it happen?

Thanks and best regards,
Erik

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-10 15:59 GMT]
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here ... Jun 10, 2009

Hi Erik,

I'm having exactly the same problem. The counter doesn't work properly, and then only part of my comment is shown, the remainder being cut off. I also use XP SP 3 and Firefox 3.0.10 (although I don't think it's a Windows or Firefox problem).

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:12
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Jun 10, 2009

Dear members,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tested the feature and can confirm that the character counter shown when editing a peer comment response was not working properly. I have referred this issue to our developers and they will fix it.

However, my character counter works correctly when I am submitting a peer comment, or a response to a peer comment . Could you please confirm that you experience this problem when you submit a peer comment or a re
... See more
Dear members,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have tested the feature and can confirm that the character counter shown when editing a peer comment response was not working properly. I have referred this issue to our developers and they will fix it.

However, my character counter works correctly when I am submitting a peer comment, or a response to a peer comment . Could you please confirm that you experience this problem when you submit a peer comment or a response to a peer comment? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
An example Jun 10, 2009

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for taking care of this problem. I just checked.

The character counter works correctly when submitting peer comments or responses to peer comments.

It does not work correctly when editing peer comments or responses to peer comments.

Hope this helps.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the information Jun 10, 2009

Hi Little Balu,

Thanks for the information. I have now asked our developers to fix the character counter issues when editing a peer comment as well.

I will let you know when this is fixed.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff

Alejandro Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your help on solving this! Jun 10, 2009

Hi Erik and Little Balu,

Just wanted to let you know that the character counter for editing peer comments and peer comment responses has been fixed and is now working fine.

Thanks for your help on solving this!

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cavalitto
ProZ.com Staff

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 11, 2009

Dear Alejandro,

thanks for solving this issue!

Kind regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Character counter for answers to peer comments doesn't work correctly (staff: 'Fixed. Thanks!')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »