Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2002

I have just received an email containing the Bugbear virus apparently from a ProZ address.

My Norton AntiVirus quarantined it and I have not been affected. Was in such a hurry to delete it and get it off the computer that I have no further details, but the format appeared to be like that of the notification of a KudoZ question.

This information also sent as a support request and posted in Translators\' Co-op forum.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:26
English to German
+ ...
Don't jump to conclusions! Nov 18, 2002

Quote:

I have just received an email containing the Bugbear virus apparently from a ProZ address.

Apparently is the key word here - given the very characteristics of Bugbear, there are only two facts you can conclude:

- A ProZ notification was stored anywhere in the e-mail system of the infected computer (note that this could be any ProZ user, member or non-member).

- A ProZ address was stored on the infected computer (and was probably taken from the same message).

This was discussed in a number of threads about a month ago - check this one which also contains links to the Symantec site: www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=36945#36945

In any case, one should be extremely careful regarding the public posting of assumptions regarding a suspected virus spreader.

Glad your AV software picked it up - best regards, Ralf

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:26
SITE FOUNDER
Not a ProZ.com thing Nov 30, 2002

As posted elsewhere, the bugbear virus *forwards* email it finds in an inbox. The virus did not come from ProZ.com, but rather, a ProZ.com user.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bugbear virus from ProZ address

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search