Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Hijacking of our Proz. profile information by Indian site (Mod: ProZ.com staff are working on it)
Thread poster: CJG (X)
CJG (X)
CJG (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2008

I am not sure whether this is the right forum for my posting, but it has been brought to my attention that the information I have listed in my proz.com profile has been hijacked by a company called Translation India.

I would like to warn colleagues on proz of the existence of this site, since a number of them are apparently also 'registered' with this agency.

The contact information given under my profile is an email address linked directly to the site. Does this mea
... See more
I am not sure whether this is the right forum for my posting, but it has been brought to my attention that the information I have listed in my proz.com profile has been hijacked by a company called Translation India.

I would like to warn colleagues on proz of the existence of this site, since a number of them are apparently also 'registered' with this agency.

The contact information given under my profile is an email address linked directly to the site. Does this mean that this Indian site is doing translations in my name, I wonder? How did they get this information?

More importantly, what can we do legally to prevent this?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-09-29 16:45]

[Edited at 2008-09-29 17:09]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ProZ.com support staff are aware of the issue Sep 29, 2008

Hi,
ProZ.com support are aware of this issue, and are working on the situation.

Best regards,
Ralf

CJG (X)
CJG (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If you were aware of it..... Sep 29, 2008

Thank you Ralf. Exactly how long has the site been aware of the situation? I for one would have liked to have been informed.

I would also reiterate my question about the legal issues involved here. As I said before, the contact details under my ´profile´ on this site show an email address in India.

What steps exactly are being taken/have been taken by proz, and with what success?

[Edited at 2008-09-29 16:50]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 09:53
SITE STAFF
Action is being taken to have the information removed Sep 29, 2008

Hello cjguy,

As Ralf mentions, this has recently been brought to staff attention by other members, and actions are being taken to have this information removed. If you could submit a support request with the link to your information there, this may be helpful. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What website is it? Sep 29, 2008

I would like to check. What website is it?

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Here is the site Sep 29, 2008

http://www.translationindia.com/Resume/index.html

And, Tomás, you are not in there (neither am I), I checked...

Maybe we're not worth the trouble...

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 18:23
This is terrible behavior Sep 29, 2008

This is unethical behavior, and if there is anything I as a freelancer based in India can do to help ProZ track this down, I am at ProZ's disposal, needless to say.

Caveat: while I am in no way trying to defend anyone, I assume the legal maxim "innocent until proven guilty" holds in international cyberlaw as well. The miscreants must be tracked down and brought to justice.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:53
German to English
+ ...
Looks like quite a few of us were harvested Sep 29, 2008

Thanks for the link, Ligia. I see that my data have been harvested as well, though who the wanker is in the picture for my alleged profile I don't know.

Needless to say I am *not* pleased about this. I am tempted to have a large order placed with this "translator" just for starters....

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simply incredible!!! Sep 29, 2008

I have warned a Proz member who might not be aware. But I recognise many other names in my language pair. Thank you so much for reporting this!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How long has this been happening??? Sep 29, 2008

Please Jared... how long has this been happening? Couldn't you have let the community know so that we could check and take action?

A CALL FOR ACTION: I suggest that we all Prozians email these people every day to ask them to remove all the information stolen from Proz!!! I am starting right now.

bububu
bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:53
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Sep 29, 2008

My profile is there too. The only difference is the contact information: city, country, phone number, and email. What do I do now?

Olga

[Edited at 2008-09-29 19:28]

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:53
Spanish
+ ...
Everyone has the same contact information Sep 29, 2008

Everyone has the same contact information and I guess it's a matter of time until we're all there.

City New Delhi
State/Province/Region Delhi (India)
Time zone GMT + 5:30
Mobile +91 9811200494
Home +91 11 24625364
Email [email protected]

I've warned a couple of publications about this issue but the more people that knows about this, the better it will be.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I found my profile there, as well Sep 29, 2008

I hope something will be done about it soon, collectively, as I am most unhappy about it.

Astrid

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Tackling dishonest agencies Sep 29, 2008

Hi all,

Please note that I don't work with this agency.

They've even got my project history section. I wish they'd copied my e-mail id and phone numbers

Isn't it equivalent to forgery? Proz has the copyright for one translation and I've got the other one.

So what is being done? How long will it take to get some results?

Mr. Gidwani maybe you could file an FIR a
... See more
Hi all,

Please note that I don't work with this agency.

They've even got my project history section. I wish they'd copied my e-mail id and phone numbers

Isn't it equivalent to forgery? Proz has the copyright for one translation and I've got the other one.

So what is being done? How long will it take to get some results?

Mr. Gidwani maybe you could file an FIR against him. And it would be really great if you could find information about Cyber Crime Cell of Delhi Government.

P.S.: I love Tomas' suggestions.
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you, cjguy Sep 29, 2008

Thank you for reporting it. I found several colleagues there and I've also warned them.

Caryl

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hijacking of our Proz. profile information by Indian site (Mod: ProZ.com staff are working on it)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »