"Translator search" shows me with expertise I don't have
Thread poster: Armorel Young
Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
German to English
Apr 9, 2009

This morning I received an e-mail from someone looking for a translator for a medical textbook. She said she had searched the freelancer directory and my name had come up as someone with medical expertise. I was surprised by this, because I don't claim to have medical experience and would never advertise myself as a translator of medical texts - but it isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, because I have in the past been approached by people claiming to have found me listed as a ... See more
This morning I received an e-mail from someone looking for a translator for a medical textbook. She said she had searched the freelancer directory and my name had come up as someone with medical expertise. I was surprised by this, because I don't claim to have medical experience and would never advertise myself as a translator of medical texts - but it isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened, because I have in the past been approached by people claiming to have found me listed as a financial or legal translator, when these are other fields that I would not claim any specific expertise in.

So I went to the directory and did a search myself, searching for German-English translators with medical expertise living in the UK. Bizarrely, my name emerged top of the list. Yet I am not a medical translator, don't claim to be one and have no wish to take on asignments in this field.

Why has the directory taken it into its head to recommend me as a medical translator when I am no such thing?
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:40
English to French
freelancers are sorted by kudoz points Apr 9, 2009

Hi Armorel,

You appear on the top of the list because you are the DE-EN translator with the largest number of Kudoz points in the medical field (297 points). As far as I know, freelancers are ranked according to kudoz points...

Stéphanie

[Edited at 2009-04-09 09:51 GMT]

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I wondered if that was the reason Apr 9, 2009

Thank you, Stéphanie - it had crossed my mind that that might be the reason. However, I only answer Kudoz questions as a bit of fun and I'm a bit disconcerted if the result is that the system thinks I am a top medical translator - I would be the first person to say that that is just not the case!

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:40
English to French
Yes but I did the search Apr 9, 2009

I did search a DE-EN translator living in the UK with medical expertise and could see that all translators behind you in the list have less Kudoz pro-points than you!

Edited to add that if you search DE-EN medical translator without specifying any country, there is a dozen translators before you...

[Edited at 2009-04-09 10:14 GMT]

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:40
French to English
+ ...
Remove "Medical" field from your profile. Apr 9, 2009

Hi Armorel,

If you remove "Medical" as a general field that you are knowledgeable in from your profile, you will no longer appear in that search:

http://www.proz.com/settings/freelancer/services

Armorel Young
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can't see "Medical" field in my profile Apr 10, 2009

Hi Colin,

As far as I can see, the word "medical" isn't anywhere in my profile - it certainly isn't one of the fields I list as having expertise in. Or is it tucked in there somewhere where I'm not seeing it?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Listing is OK in the new directory, but erroneous in the old one Apr 10, 2009

Currently there are two directories available to search for translators.
The recently changed menu shows the old one, the "classic" on top of the menu.
http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/

This one does list Armorel if we search for Medical field.
(I searched for German-English, Medical, located in the UK).

The other directory, the new "Connect" d
... See more
Currently there are two directories available to search for translators.
The recently changed menu shows the old one, the "classic" on top of the menu.
http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/

This one does list Armorel if we search for Medical field.
(I searched for German-English, Medical, located in the UK).

The other directory, the new "Connect" directory, now called "Advanced Directory (Beta)" works OK, that does not list her, if I search with the same criteria.

I remember this particular problem was discussed before, in reference to the new directory, and it was fixed. It seems the fix did not extend to the Classic directory.

Colin, could you look into this and make sure that the Field of Expertise filter takes precedence over KudoZ points?

By the way, why was the new directory moved down on the menu list? I thought we wanted outsourcers to use that rather than the old one...

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:40
French to English
+ ...
I don't believe this is a KudoZ points issue... Apr 10, 2009

Hi Armorel,

The general field "Medical" was selected in your profile. I have removed it for you. It looks like you no longer appear in the directory under that field.

Best,
Colin

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Where does that General selection show up in the profile? Apr 11, 2009

Colin,
I checked the link you posted:

We can select the General Fields of Expertise, but where does it show on our profile after selecting them? I could find the Specialty and the Working fields, but I could not find where the General fields would show up.
Perhaps that's why Armorel couldn't find it either?... See more
Colin,
I checked the link you posted:

We can select the General Fields of Expertise, but where does it show on our profile after selecting them? I could find the Specialty and the Working fields, but I could not find where the General fields would show up.
Perhaps that's why Armorel couldn't find it either?

What role does this setting play in terms of directory search and job matching?

By the way, the two-box selection is really confusing, it is not clear which side contains the selected fields, the Add and Remove buttons just make it even more confusing.
The method for selecting the Specialty Fields and Working Fields is much more clear.
Would it be possible to change the interface for the General Fields to be like the Specialy and Working fields?

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translator search" shows me with expertise I don't have

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »