Possible to find native speakers, irrespective of their source language?
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:11
German to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2003

When I do a directory search for fellow professionals, I always have to specify both the source and target languages. Is there any way of finding people for a certain target language, irrespective of their source language?

If I've made this posting in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

TIA,
Cilian

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
I'm moving your posting from KudoZ.net to Directory Dec 10, 2003

Andrea

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
reason? Dec 10, 2003

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

When I do a directory search for fellow professionals, I always have to specify both the source and target languages. Is there any way of finding people for a certain target language, irrespective of their source language?

Hi Cilian. I'm afraid this option doesn't exist; if I'm wrong, someone can correct me. May I ask, out of curiosity, how that feature would be helpful? If it's something useful, perhaps we can request that this option be added.
Maria

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason? Dec 10, 2003

I sometimes just need native speakers of a certain language to read/edit texts without comparing them to the source. In fact, sometimes the texts aren't even translations, just pieces of writing, and they just need checking for style etc.

Maybe I'm alone on this one.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
English to German
+ ...
You can do the following Dec 12, 2003

Choose the same language for source and target and enter editig as a keyword. Then a number of entries will come up. I just tried it in German and it worked. I hadn't thought of this possibility before and have now added German-German to my language combinations since I do a lot of editing.

Elena Sgarbo (X)
Elena Sgarbo (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Monolingual searches for ProZies are also available from the KudoZ ranks Jul 15, 2004

Hi Cilian,

By now you've probably found a number of answers to your question.

Just in case, another way to obtain lists of proficient people within a language here in ProZ is to run searches among the ProZ's Leaders, setting the same source and target language plus the field you're interested in.

This resource is one I use for example when potential clients ask me about my editing skills in English (not m
... See more
Hi Cilian,

By now you've probably found a number of answers to your question.

Just in case, another way to obtain lists of proficient people within a language here in ProZ is to run searches among the ProZ's Leaders, setting the same source and target language plus the field you're interested in.

This resource is one I use for example when potential clients ask me about my editing skills in English (not my native language):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=leaders_new&field=3&pair=all&from=all&submit=1

HTH

Elena

[Edited at 2004-07-15 03:36]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:11
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Good news! Jul 15, 2004

The new ProZ.com Directory, that will be available soon (it is currently under testing), contains numerous improvements, amongst which is the possibility to search by native language.

Gianfranco

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
leaders? Sep 9, 2004

Elena Sgarbossa wrote:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=leaders_new&field=3&pair=all&from=all&submit=1

HTH

Elena

[Edited at 2004-07-15 03:36]

Hi Elena

Nice to see you around again:-)

However, I have to take issue with you on this Leaders business:-), simply because I was thinking of the matter today:

I simply CAN'T help noticing that the people who seem to be always answering questions simply cannot possibly be doing any actual WORK, where would they find the time????? I got the bug recently of answering questions - 'cos Aug was quiet - for the first time since I became a member (when I answered questions a lot and got to the top in at least one or two of my languages).
However, the actual number of questions posted and the rapidity of answering are both far greater now than in 2002. Yet in my language combinations, it's the same two or three who are ALWAYS in there to answer questions FIRST! They are on STAND-BY! Constantly! And these people provide answers for strings, not for texts.

So I think leadership should be viewed with sceptism:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible to find native speakers, irrespective of their source language?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »