Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 1, 2005

I see that on my profile page, I can indicate being an agency, a freelancer, or both. The only option I can choose, is "freelancer".

However, I'm not a full-time freelancer. I'm what some might call a "moonlighter", although that term is considered derogatory by some.

Also, there is a big difference between a translation agency and a translation company. Currently companies have to choose between indicating themselves as "agency" (which implies that they oursource
... See more
I see that on my profile page, I can indicate being an agency, a freelancer, or both. The only option I can choose, is "freelancer".

However, I'm not a full-time freelancer. I'm what some might call a "moonlighter", although that term is considered derogatory by some.

Also, there is a big difference between a translation agency and a translation company. Currently companies have to choose between indicating themselves as "agency" (which implies that they oursource a lot of work, which may not be true) or "freelancer" (which implies that they are a single person).

So here's my suggestion:

Instead of two options, rather have four options, namely
* Full-time freelancer
* Part-time freelancer
* Agency (jobs mostly outsourced)
* Company (jobs mostly done in-house)

As an afterthought, an option may be available for freelancers to indicate that they operate in a team with others.

Your comments?
Collapse

irma abdul latif
irma abdul latif  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 19:09
English to Malay
+ ...
I agree Apr 1, 2005

I agree with you. I am also what you'd call a moonlighter.:)

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:09
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Useful classification for single members Apr 1, 2005

Samuel Murray wrote:
Instead of two options, rather have four options, namely
* Full-time freelancer
* Part-time freelancer
* Agency (jobs mostly outsourced)
* Company (jobs mostly done in-house)

Dear Samuel,
I think that you are right, and a better classification would be extremely useful to anyone consulting the directories, making a further distinction between members who wants to be listed in the directory and those not interested.

Expanding a bit your two categories, I would like to have the following classification for individual members:

• (1) Freelancer + Outsourcing
    Those professionals who provide personally some work and outsource part of it, taking care of the final product, but not full blown agencies.

• (2) Full-time freelancer
    Member having as a main source of income the provision of language services, dedicated full-time to this profession. In this category would fall anyone who does not outsource its work.

• (3) Part-time freelancer
    Members can be part-timing for the most diverse reasons, family committments, health reasons, semi-retired, hold another job full or part-time, anything really and it doesn't really matter.
    This category could include in-house translators who also wish to be included in the directory and take personal projects outside of their job.

• (4) In-house translator
    Declaring to be in the language business but not interested in being listed in the directory, not looking for jobs, not interested in being contacted by outsourcers.

• (5) Not a translator
    We have a very diverse membership, which includes also language teachers, language students, people with a love for languages, all of them interested in some parts of the site but not interested in being listed in the directory.

• We could have the first 3 categories listed, possibly with the indication of "outsourcing" or "full-time" or "part-time", and the last two categories would be not listed, and it would be made clear to the owners of those profiles that choosing the options 4 and 5 they would be not listed.

Additional category: I have now added anotehr category on top, as n.1, to include those freelancers who outsource some work and provide this extra service, without being a full blown agency.
    This is another way of freelancing and another service, and it could also be listed amongst the options available.

Gianfranco

PS: I'm not developing or expanding into other classifications possible and useful for the real full-blown agencies and for teams...

[Edited at 2005-04-01 18:16]

Orla Ryan
    Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
    Ireland
    Local time: 11:09
    another category Apr 1, 2005

I suggest another category for the "once-off" members. By that, I mean the person who posts a question in Kudoz, and then they never come back again... we get this a lot in the Irish Gaelic forums from people who want to say "i love you" or variations thereof I'm sure it is the same for other lesser-known languages. Perhaps we could call them "temporary" members - people who are not language professionals and just want a quick tra... See more
    I suggest another category for the "once-off" members. By that, I mean the person who posts a question in Kudoz, and then they never come back again... we get this a lot in the Irish Gaelic forums from people who want to say "i love you" or variations thereof I'm sure it is the same for other lesser-known languages. Perhaps we could call them "temporary" members - people who are not language professionals and just want a quick translation. If you can think of a better name, please be my guestCollapse

gianfranco
    gianfranco  Identity Verified
    Brazil
    Local time: 08:09
    Member (2001)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Visitors or regular visitors who are not translators Apr 1, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

I suggest another category for the "once-off" members. By that, I mean the person who posts a question in Kudoz, and then they never come back again...

If they go to the length of creating a profile, they would fall nicely in the last category: "Not a translator", if they had a chance to (or were compulsed to) declare what kind of profile they want to create.

They would have their page and their login, but without cluttering the directories.

G.

[Edited at 2005-04-01 13:35]

Margaret Schroeder
    Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
    Mexico
    Local time: 05:09
    Spanish to English
    + ...
    Non-members can ask KudoZ questions Apr 1, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

I suggest another category for the "once-off" members. By that, I mean the person who posts a question in Kudoz, and then they never come back again... we get this a lot in the Irish Gaelic forums from people who want to say "i love you" or variations thereof I'm sure it is the same for other lesser-known languages. Perhaps we could call them "temporary" members - people who are not language professionals and just want a quick translation. If you can think of a better name, please be my guest

I see this in my language pairs, too. There should be no need to create a category for members who only want to join in order to ask a KudoZ question, for they don't have to become a member at all. What is needed, rather, is some way of making it more clear to visitors that they are welcome to ask KudoZ questions without having to become members and create profiles.

[Edited at 2005-04-01 14:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer x Moonlighter / Company x Agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »