https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/327416-banned_outsourcer_gets_unbanned_with_a_new_name.html

Banned outsourcer gets unbanned with a new name?
Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:30
English to Italian
Jul 27, 2018

Is this allowed?

A company gets banned from posting jobs, goes into liquidation, reopens under a new name (apparently 1 day later in the specific case I've noticed on the BB...), and gets a pass?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
continually rising from the dead, like an indestructible cockroach Jul 27, 2018

I hope it's not ‘Veritas Language Solutions’ aka ‘Planet Veritas’ aka ‘Lingua Translations’ ? The company that just won't die. They never pay their translators, then go into liquidation, and then merrily pop up again with a new name and a bunch more fake Google/Facebook reviews. Sadly, UK law makes it very easy to continue in this fashion, continually rising from the dead like an indestructible cockroach.

Michael

Jennifer Forbes

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
How do you know... Jul 27, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Is this allowed?

A company gets banned from posting jobs, goes into liquidation, reopens under a new name (apparently 1 day later in the specific case I've noticed on the BB...), and gets a pass?

it's the same people? If so, maybe a link to the previous company should be provided on the Blue Board page...

Josephine Cassar
Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.
Angie Garbarino
Anthony Teixeira
Angus Stewart
Katalin Szilárd
Tom in London

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@Mirko Jul 27, 2018

If you know that for sure please open a ST for informing the staff

José Henrique Lamensdorf

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
UK Jul 27, 2018

Michael Beijer wrote:

I hope it's not ‘Veritas Language Solutions’ aka ‘Planet Veritas’ aka ‘Lingua Translations’ ? The company that just won't die. They never pay their translators, then go into liquidation, and then merrily pop up again with a new name and a bunch more fake Google/Facebook reviews. Sadly, UK law makes it very easy to continue in this fashion, continually rising from the dead like an indestructible cockroach.

Nope, different animal, but still in the UK (different address but same phone number...). I think I'm not allowed to name names. They currently have a 3.7 in the past 12 months, with most of the negative entries mentioning late payments, having to chase payments, etc.

@ Angie and Giovanni

I know because IT IS mentioned in the BB with the little red "i" icon for "View note from site staff". I was asking because from my point of view it seems quite questionable (at the very least) that a company that was banned from posting jobs and goes bankrupt without paying its vendors is then allowed to operate again (one day later!) under a new name...

Jennifer Forbes
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angus Stewart
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Not sure what ProZ can do... Jul 27, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Nope, different animal, but still in the UK (different address but same phone number...). I think I'm not allowed to name names. They currently have a 3.7 in the past 12 months, with most of the negative entries mentioning late payments, having to chase payments, etc.

@ Angie and Giovanni

I know because IT IS mentioned in the BB with the little red "i" icon for "View note from site staff". I was asking because from my point of view it seems quite questionable (at the very least) that a company that was banned from posting jobs and goes bankrupt without paying its vendors is then allowed to operate again (one day later!) under a new name...

until it receives complaints about the new company... if there is the red "i" icon, then people will be aware of the link between the old and new company...

Angie Garbarino

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Avoid ban circumvention? Jul 27, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Not sure what ProZ can do...

Keep them banned or ban them again as soon as you discover that they're the same people under a new name?

Or if this sounds too harsh(?) to someone, at the very least try to avoid that a banned outsourcer may open a new account the very next day and start to post jobs again...

Edit: changed a "they" to "you" for clarity

[Edited at 2018-07-27 15:22 GMT]

Tom in London
Katalin Szilárd

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
a proof in the wilderness Jul 27, 2018

Mirco, it takes just a couple of hours to "re-brand" (re-open a biz under a new name) in UA--even during a judicial examination, and it's about the same in other countries; there's little one could do, alas.

You're talking, but often there're several (dummy) co-founders or co-owners, who are at variance with others and may be not aware of misdeeds or crimes, which imposes extra ban issues and nuances.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No benefit of the doubt? Jul 27, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Keep them banned or ban them again as soon as they discover that they're the same people under a new name?

Or if this sounds too harsh(?) to someone, at the very least try to avoid that a banned outsourcer may open a new account the very next day and start to post jobs again...

They might have found the light? I doubt it , but since it's officially a new company, surely there must be complaints before anything can be done about it?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Common in the UK Jul 27, 2018

Alas, it is common in the UK for the directors of a company to pay themselves a very high salary/dividend, run the company into the ground, declare it bankrupt and walk away with the money, leaving the company's creditors with nothing.

Then they set up a new company and do the same thing again. And again, and again.

This is perfectly legal in the UK.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
neilmac

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Mirko Jul 27, 2018

This is not a legal matter, but a matter of risk management and ProZ. it may be perfectly legal to run a company to the ground and create a new one in the UK (but is it also legal to leave unpaid work and business invoices? If it is, then what is legal isn't ethical, at least as far as "business ethics" are involved).

I suggest that, if compelling evidence is provided that a previously banned outsourcer operates under a new company and creates a ProZ account (having registered the s
... See more
This is not a legal matter, but a matter of risk management and ProZ. it may be perfectly legal to run a company to the ground and create a new one in the UK (but is it also legal to leave unpaid work and business invoices? If it is, then what is legal isn't ethical, at least as far as "business ethics" are involved).

I suggest that, if compelling evidence is provided that a previously banned outsourcer operates under a new company and creates a ProZ account (having registered the same phone number definitely is enough evidence for me):

- The account is linked to the previous profile, in BlueBoard, as usual
- A temporary six month ban is applied to posting ProZ jobs
- The ban is lifted after six months have passed with no new evidence of payment issues being reported under the new profile
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Katalin Szilárd
Jennifer Forbes
ahartje
José Henrique Lamensdorf
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Unfortunately yes Jul 28, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

....(but is it also legal to leave unpaid work and business invoices? ...

Unfortunately yes - in fact that is the whole point. You take all the money out of the company and then declare it bankrupt, leaving all the company's creditors to fend for themselves.

Then you set up another company and do the same thing again.

That's why it's extremely important for Proz not to allow anyone to do this.

Jennifer Forbes
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Thao Tran
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Banned outsourcer gets unbanned with a new name?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »