Where has "Search by Name" gone?
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Italian to English
Apr 4, 2006

When a potential new client approaches me by e-mail, there is usually enough time to check the blue board etc. before replying. (It is interesting, incidentally, that agencies with poor ratings invariably contact me by phone).
This morning, a fellow member (sorry, user) contacted me by Skype (chat), with a job enquiry.
While replying, I tried to find them under "Search by Name" but instead, was taken to the page where you have to enter language combinations, subject fields etc. wh
... See more
When a potential new client approaches me by e-mail, there is usually enough time to check the blue board etc. before replying. (It is interesting, incidentally, that agencies with poor ratings invariably contact me by phone).
This morning, a fellow member (sorry, user) contacted me by Skype (chat), with a job enquiry.
While replying, I tried to find them under "Search by Name" but instead, was taken to the page where you have to enter language combinations, subject fields etc. which I didn't have time for.
So I tried the ordinary "Search" box, selecting "Users" which brought the response "No users of that name" or something of that sort.
Finally, I entered the name in an ordinary search engine, which directed me to the User's ProZ.com profile page (and to a forum entry).
Is there a bug here I wonder?
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Don't you see the "Search by name" box? Apr 4, 2006

Hi Russell

Don't you see the box in the Directories menu, under Teams and befor About?

The problem is that you need the person to have entered his name too.

This is not your question, but I don't like to be contacted by people who don't give information about them from the beginning.

Claudia

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
You need his username Apr 4, 2006

to search under users.

Some people use their real names as usernames, some people use initials and surname, others enter slightly different names from the ones they use in real life (such as the difference between a credit card name and the one on a driver's license). It all boils down to the characters, and as such can be iffy.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's back! Apr 4, 2006

Thanks all for replying. I had indeed forgotten about the user name issue but it didn't alter the point that the "search by name" page was not available.
It has now reappeared.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where has "Search by Name" gone?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »