https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_directory/66358-companies_appearing_in_the_freelancer_directory_possible_discrimination_against_freelancers-page5.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Companies appearing in the freelancer directory - possible discrimination against freelancers?
Thread poster: Vesna Zivcic
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you Feb 22, 2007

Giles Watson wrote:

Hi Rod,

I've met Jerzy on more than one occasion and I can vouch for his good faith.

Please remember that he is communicating in a third or fourth language. He does so very well indeed, and his presentations at ProZ conferences are models of clarity, but when you're not entirely comfortable with a linguistic medium, you can find yourself appearing to say things you don't actually mean.

Discount the perlocutionary effects of Jerzy's messages and you'll see that he was just trying to do his job as a moderator.

I am sure Jerzy would tell us precisely the same thing in elegant Polish if we were able to understand his mother tongue

Cheers,

Giles

My dictionaries do not have a slightest impression of the word marked in bold above, so how can I try discuss with you in a language, of which my command is still higly limited?

Nevertheless, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I think all (or at least the most important things) has been said now.

Thank you
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jerzy deserves better... Feb 22, 2007

...no, not even better, normal is good enough. Taking it out on him is personally unfair and serves nobody.

Ok, Rod? NOT. Thumbs up, Jerzy.

smo

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:49
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
more succinctly Feb 22, 2007

Spanish doc wrote:
Some times is good to let go; a mature silent and self awareness brings beneficial improvement.

Rod, I thought we had all let go; but then your message appeared.

What would you change to the following paragraphs?:

I don't see the point of this exercise (it certainly doesn't make the posting all that succinct); I do admit that I perceive some sarcasm here, which I think is a) very unfair towards Jerzy, and b) contradictory to these comments of yours:

After that, some hand shakes, and LOL.

Please do not continue an endless chain.
I stop here.

Contradictory because you can't write things like the above and expect others to "laugh out loud", neither can you write such a non-succinct posting, isolating Jerzy's statements and commenting on them, and then ask people not to continue the endless chain.
We have spoken before and I know you care about ProZ and you mean well, so I'm asking you and others to understand that Jerzy was simply trying to "pause" what was turning into a heated discussion until staff had the chance to explain. That's all. Now let's get back to the main topic of this thread, please.
Thanks,
Maria

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Companies appearing in the freelancer directory - possible discrimination against freelancers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »