Corporate Members in Freelancer Directory?
Thread poster: Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 03:29
English to Armenian
+ ...
Mar 4, 2007

I recently noticed this "nice" feature in the directory - premium outsourcers being listed in the freelancers' directory search in the first position. Wouldn't like to be criticizing too much, but I seem to miss a point here: the freelancer directory search list is called that way since it lists freelancers and not outsourcers, especially in the first ranks, there being a separate outsourcers search on the site for the latter. Or is the status of the corporate membership higher than that of the ... See more
I recently noticed this "nice" feature in the directory - premium outsourcers being listed in the freelancers' directory search in the first position. Wouldn't like to be criticizing too much, but I seem to miss a point here: the freelancer directory search list is called that way since it lists freelancers and not outsourcers, especially in the first ranks, there being a separate outsourcers search on the site for the latter. Or is the status of the corporate membership higher than that of the platinum??Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:29
English to German
+ ...
Ongoing discussion Mar 4, 2007

Hi Ara,
May I suggest to join the existing topic?

Best, Ralf

Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 03:29
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't notice that... Mar 4, 2007

Hi Ralf,

Sorry, didn't notice the already existing thread. Feel free to close or delete this one.

Ara

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:29
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This topic shouldn't be closed nor deleted. Mar 4, 2007

Not everybody knows about this new apparently not-so-nice feature for freelancers. In fact, I didn't know about it. Could you please explain?

Does it mean that when someone (I mean, an outsourcer) looks for a freelancer, that possible outsourcer will find a list of "corporate members" (I mean, members that pay much more money than I to belong to Proz) first?

Thanks

Clarisa

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:29
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You've hit the nail on the head, Clarisa Mar 4, 2007

I suppose the idea is that we mere freelancers then get the work from those translation companies who got it, instead of us getting it directly, thus forcing our rates down.

Astrid

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:29
English to French
+ ...
I have a question Mar 4, 2007

Why is this phenomenon still present today? I am asking because the following was said by Henry on February 18, in the thread Ralf is referring to:

Henry wrote:

We will replace what you see there now (a list of the latest corporate members - it corresponds in no way to what was searched) with an appropriate image of some sort. Using the same logic, we will place an image / link / notification in the corporate directory pointing to the directory of freelancers.

So, why is the same problem persisting? Today is March 4 - which means the above message from Henry was posted over two weeks ago. Doesn't someone at ProZ see the urgency of this matter? While we are taking our time addressing this, rates are being forced down - and may I remind us all that it is our breadwinner we are talking about?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I am confused Mar 5, 2007

I have just checked freelance directories for a few language pairs and did not find any corporate memebers listed above freelancers. I even logged off and used both IE and Firefox to be sure. I don't inderstand how is it possible that some people see this corporate members and I don't?

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
i don't have it Mar 5, 2007

Freelancers' directory contains feeelancers only
then there is Companies or Corporate Directory for outsourcers.

Everything is OK. No outsourcers in the freelancers' directory.

Ara Mkrtchyan wrote:

I recently noticed this "nice" feature in the directory - premium outsourcers being listed in the freelancers' directory search in the first position. Wouldn't like to be criticizing too much, but I seem to miss a point here: the freelancer directory search list is called that way since it lists freelancers and not outsourcers, especially in the first ranks, there being a separate outsourcers search on the site for the latter. Or is the status of the corporate membership higher than that of the platinum??

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Changed Position but still prominent Mar 5, 2007

I just noticed that the position has been changed... but there is a choice right on top:

translators: directory of translators and interpreters
Find language service providers by language pair and field

[Outsourcer directory] [Interpreter directory]

I guess Interpreters are part of freelancers directory, and if someone was looking for interpreters all that is needed is another filter, so evidently the only reason for that text above is to have Outsourcer directory there.

and then again on the left side, there is a choice:

Looking for translation companies?
Try the proz.com corporate directory

And these lines are much more prominent than anything else on the page.

I guess, when someone visits the freelancer directory that person is searching for Freelancers in the field. Then why give such a prominent position to these other directories (within the freelancers' directory)?

Its like telling the visitor that these "companies" are better than Freelancers (almost).

Moreover, there is no option of going to Freelancer Directory or Interpreter Directory just above the Corporate Members Directory like the one above Freelancer Directory.

Sorry, but I agree that like any other search function these (outsourcer directory/ corporate directory) should be accessible from the menu and have a position similar to the freelancers directory (under the directories head). That should end all controversies.

Unless proz plans to shift the focus of the site from freelancers to companies...

Just my thoughts... and I hope that I'm not breaking any said or unsaid rules of the site!!!

[Edited at 2007-03-05 04:08]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same with me! Mar 5, 2007

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

I have just checked freelance directories for a few language pairs and did not find any corporate memebers listed above freelancers. I even logged off and used both IE and Firefox to be sure. I don't inderstand how is it possible that some people see this corporate members and I don't?

I was curious and did a search myself. I checked the freelance directory, looking for an English-Spanish translator (technical) and I only found freelancers, not corporate members. Yes, there was a link to translation companies, but it was not the first thing I saw.

Regards

Clarisa

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
My opinion Mar 5, 2007

My opinion is that the corporate directory should not be mentioned ANYWHERE on the freelancer directory page, period.
The directories drop-down menu at the top of the Proz page reads "Freelancers, Interpreter search, Companies, Outsourcers..." If someone is looking for a company, then they should be directed to the company directory from there. If that separate directory isn't functional or searchable or visible enough, well, frankly, that's not the freelancers' problem. There is certainly
... See more
My opinion is that the corporate directory should not be mentioned ANYWHERE on the freelancer directory page, period.
The directories drop-down menu at the top of the Proz page reads "Freelancers, Interpreter search, Companies, Outsourcers..." If someone is looking for a company, then they should be directed to the company directory from there. If that separate directory isn't functional or searchable or visible enough, well, frankly, that's not the freelancers' problem. There is certainly no mention of the freelancer directory on the current corporate member directory, which is fine with me. I know the spin on this is that we're all part of the same big happy family, working together, but, speaking strictly for myself, that's just not true.
Jennifer
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:29
French to English
+ ...
Just want to clarify... Mar 5, 2007

Hi Everyone,

Corporate Members do NOT appear in the freelancer directory, and they certainly do not appear higher than freelancers. There is a separate directory for Corporate Members, which now links to the freelancer directory.

Best,
Colin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corporate Members in Freelancer Directory?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »