Thread poster: Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2007

I would like to find out if there are any Proz members living certain countries, such as Guyana, but there seems to be no way of searching without having to specify a langauge pair first. Is there a way round this?

Fiona

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Unfortunately, no. Jun 18, 2007

Hi Fiona

This was a very old request, when there was another directory. Then the directory was modified, updated, improved, but this aspect remained as it was before.

Many times I wanted to see which were the languages that could be found in my country, or wanted to be able to see the list of all the members from it, but it's impossible.

Claudia

[Editado a las 2007-06-18 13:40]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
An important feature for interpreters Jun 18, 2007

Though I do my best to keep my interpreting work close to zero, as Proz has GPS location in the profile, this could be an important feature for locating interpreters, say, "for languages X & Y within a certain radius from a certain spot on the globe", or to have them sorted by distance from that spot.

My 2¢.

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 18, 2007

Thanks Claudia and José for you comments. Perhaps it's an aspect Proz could look into for future modifications. It would be interesting to find out if there are any other members in a particular town or country, without having to specify language pairs first.

Fiona

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
German to English
It could also be helpful..... Jun 18, 2007

....when organising powwows. The organisers could then find all the translators living in their city, town or country in the directory and notify people who may not be aware that a powwow is being held individually through their profiles.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:54
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Picking 30-odd language pairs one by one.... Jun 19, 2007

Recently I organized a PowWow locally, and have to seek for more than most 30 language pairs in order to locate just 20 members who don't work the usual FIGS.

I am sure that this is not the first time somebody brings this issue into consideration. What really surprises me is how it hasn't been modified; I don't get the logic thinking behind forcing the search to be made first by language pairs and second by country.

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:54
English to German
+ ...
Organising Powwows Jun 19, 2007

Jorge Payan wrote:

Recently I organized a PowWow locally, and have to seek for more than most 30 language pairs in order to locate just 20 members who don't work the usual FIGS.

Hi everybody,

when I organised Powwows in the past, I was offered help by Romina from the Proz staff. She did exactly what Fiona is looking for - sending out an e-mail message to alle Prozians in and around Moscow who might be interested in the Powwow, regardless of their language combinations. I just had to compose the invitation e-mail, send it to her and she sent it out to the mailing list she had.
I guess, for the staff this feature is available but for "normal" members not (yet).

Cheers,
Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding proz members of any language, in a particular country

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »