Can you transfer a domain to ProZ.com that is not .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .co.uk, org.uk?
Thread poster: Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:55
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2009

Is it possible to transfer a domain to proz that is not a .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .co.uk, .org.uk domain.

On the option page to transfer a domain, I am forced to choose from these options.

I would like to use my country specific top level domain - .pl

Is it at all possible? If yes, how can I do it?

Thanks

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-18 08:07 GMT]

Keith Mc Dowell
Keith Mc Dowell
Local time: 16:55
Spanish to English
.pl and other country top level domains Feb 17, 2009

Stuart Dowell wrote:

Is it possible to transfer a domain to proz that is not a .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .co.uk, .org.uk domain.

On the option page to transfer a domain, I am forced to choose from these options.

I would like to use my country specific top level domain - .pl

Is it at all possible? If yes, how can I do it?

Thanks

Hello, normally with the .country level domains you have to purchase those domains within the country of origin. Here in the United States, you are able to purchase .ca but you must provided residency within CA in order to purchase the domain name. Simplest solution is to purchase the domain name and do a url forwarding. Once you purchase a domain name you can't transfer it to another registrar for 60-days. Normally, there is a transfer fee between registrars so you would save some money by just doing a url forwarding from your domain name registrar.

Thanks,

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Where? Mar 11, 2009

Well, supposing I already have myname.eu, supposing I already redirect to Proz name servers in my registrar's interface, where in the Proz interface do I write this myname.eu?

In Cpanel?

Armand C.
Armand C.  Identity Verified
Italy
German to English
+ ...
Add-on domain in CPanel, IN A record on nameserver Sep 28, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

Well, supposing I already have myname.eu, supposing I already redirect to Proz name servers in my registrar's interface, where in the Proz interface do I write this myname.eu?

In Cpanel?

You should be able to do it in CPanel, under "Add-on domains" (unless you initially subscribe to hosting with that domain, when it automatically becomes the "main" domain).

The way CPanel works, as I recall, a "web redirect" or "URL forwarding" isn't enough. You need to either:
** properly point the domain name ("IN A" record for your domain on the nameserver) to the proz.com hosting server; (That's how I did it, precisely with an .eu domain, registered with dd24.net -- a German registrar.);
OR
** use the proz.com nameservers with your domain ("IN NS" record for the domain).

Either way, you don't have to transfer the domain. (And do pay attention to what the registrar means by "redirect", as sometimes the interfaces can be confusing and very technically incorrect.)

If you need help with some "technicality", I'll be glad to assist you. And I'm sure someone else will offer if I'm not around.

As a personal note, I wouldn't recommend transferring the domain. On one hand, it means additional fees (not too high ones, true, but...). Pn the other hand, I find it inconvenient to have the domain name tied with a double string to the hosting server/package -- for various reasons. Then again, CPanel is a horrible tool when it comes to handling DNS records.

Greets,
Armand C.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you transfer a domain to ProZ.com that is not .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .co.uk, org.uk?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »