Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Jan 28, 2005

Hello

Does ProZ hosting system reject files with the extension "*.exe"?
My customer just send me an archive, containing more pieces, with one exe-file (self extracting). I use Outlook XP, but long time ago I deactivated the setting for bocking "exe" by Outlook.

Thank you
Jerzy

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Outlook bockt? Jan 28, 2005

I think this "feature" comes back with new security updates you install. Try this:
http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm

We installed it a while back and never regretted it. Even registered for it.

HTH und viele Grüße,
Benjamin

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems not to be Outlook Jan 28, 2005

As I have not seen the e-mail here. My customer send me an e-mail with the document in question, but changed the extension to *.doc, and told me in that e-mail, that my PC refused to receive an "*.exe" file.
This seems not to be my PC, but the system instead.
Try to send a link to any webpage in mail body to anyone, having his account with web.de - you'll get the message back with the information, that it couldn't be delivered due to potentially dangerous content.
So that's why
... See more
As I have not seen the e-mail here. My customer send me an e-mail with the document in question, but changed the extension to *.doc, and told me in that e-mail, that my PC refused to receive an "*.exe" file.
This seems not to be my PC, but the system instead.
Try to send a link to any webpage in mail body to anyone, having his account with web.de - you'll get the message back with the information, that it couldn't be delivered due to potentially dangerous content.
So that's why I'm supposing ProZ hosting does the same.

But I would lik to know that for sure.

BTW, I configured Outlook a long time ago not to block exe by editing the registry key. Before I did so, I stil could see the message, but was noticed by Outlook, that the attachment cannot be opened. This time there was no message at all.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:54
SITE STAFF
Executable attachments are blocked; zip the file attachment Jan 29, 2005

Hi Jerzy,

You are correct: attachments with .exe or other extensions commonly used by viruses are blocked by the hosting mail server. To send or receive such executable file attachments, first zip the file using winzip or another file compression program.

Best regards,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, but... Jan 29, 2005

this was an archive - a splitted, self-extracting archive.

I understand, I cannot receive such attachments, allthough I find this is not the best, as I'm adult enough to take care of my antivirus protection.

What if I send such attachments myself? Are the mails blocked too?

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:54
SITE STAFF
Filters intended to protect shared resources as well as message recipients Jan 29, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I understand, I cannot receive such attachments, allthough I find this is not the best, as I'm adult enough to take care of my antivirus protection.

Hi Jerzy,

I understand your feelings. However, the attachment filter is not just there to protect message recipients. It also prevents the hosting mail server, which is shared by all hosting customers, from being overwhelmed by virus messages sent by others who are not as careful as you are. That would degrade performance for all hosting customers, whether they use good computer security practices or not.

What if I send such attachments myself? Are the mails blocked too?

The filters apply to both incoming and outgoing messages, for the reason cited above.

I am open to rethinking this policy if a number of people are unhappy about it.

Best regards,

Jason

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I´m not unhappy with it Jan 29, 2005

I simply need to know, what are the limitations.
Where can I find a list of extension (and/or contents), which should not be included in emails due to these - very understandable - restrictions.
Then I can simply tell my customers that and stick myself to it. As simple as that.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving an "exe" file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »