Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2006

For at least two whole days, any attempt to access my site, http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
gives a 403 forbidden error message.
This is damaging my business.
What gives?

I should add, I can access cPanel without issue, as well as receive and send mail, but can not view a single page of my site.

[Edited at 2006-06-17 13:03]

Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:11
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
did you recently update your site? Jun 17, 2006

I am no expert.
Sometimes I have accidentally deleted or renamed my index page, while updating my website(s).
The first thing I would do is to check if you still have a file called index.htm. If not, then you must create one or rename your homepage to index.htm.
If you type "forbidden error why" into google it will give you many more suggestions on what could be causing this problem. Good Luck!

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
index still there Jun 17, 2006

Evi Wollinger wrote:

I am no expert.
Sometimes I have accidentally deleted or renamed my index page, while updating my website(s).
The first thing I would do is to check if you still have a file called index.htm. If not, then you must create one or rename your homepage to index.htm.
If you type "forbidden error why" into google it will give you many more suggestions on what could be causing this problem. Good Luck!

All of my pages are still there, including the index...or at least, I they are still listed, and I can still even edit them, from the cPanel filemanager. But not one of them can be seen or accessed directly in browser.

It´s a permissions issue. But what´s modified my permissions settings, and how it was done, and how to undo it...that´s the problem....

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
this is something to do with Apache server.... Jun 17, 2006

I get the same error. I would think you need to clear the issue with the service provider (i.e. their system admin).

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
proz IS the hosting provider.... Jun 17, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

I get the same error. I would think you need to clear the issue with the service provider (i.e. their system admin).

I´m a little annoyed here...The site is hosted on my proz account.
I´m paying proz, not only for access to the many tools here, but also to host my site...Why are none the appropriate proz staff answering this question?

I assume that, since you mention it here, your site, as well, is hosted via your proz account...
How long have you had the same issue?

Clearly a permissions issue, but I´ll be darned if I can figure out how to fix it.
I edited, cajoled, begged and then removed my .htaccess, tried a few other things...no change.
The only thing I haven´t donem yet, is the goat sacrifice...

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
looks good from here Jun 17, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

Did you mean you get the same error here: http://smolej.de/Vito/ ?
Because, I can see that page fine!

tony

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
Red crosses Jun 18, 2006

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

Did you mean you get the same error here: http://smolej.de/Vito/ ?
Because, I can see that page fine!

tony

Hi Tony,
Well, there must be something wrong then in the site management. Because when I tried this link I got Vito's page with a nice photograph on it, but every one of the six header buttons only showed the famous red cross and could not be activated.

Herman

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
403 Jun 18, 2006

Tony,

I've also tried your ProZ site and received that 403 message.
So you'll have to contact the site staff indeed.
H.

justin C
justin C
United States
English
The problem should be fixed Jun 22, 2006

Hi Tony,

I saw Andrew addressed your problem in the support ticket you entered, and I just wanted to follow up here as well. It looks like your .htaccess file was corrupted when copied over from a backup last week. Andrew restored the proper .htaccess file, which fixed the problem you were having.

My apologies for any inconvience this may have caused you.

Best Regards,
Justin

Anthony Baldwin
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 22, 2006

Proz rocks!
Thanks!

tony

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

403 forbidden error

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »