https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting/61904-2997_messages_in_website_mail_account_staff_try_enabling_spamassassin.html

2997 Messages in Website Mail Account (staff: 'try enabling SpamAssassin')
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2006

This is just an FYI for those of you who have a hosting account with ProZ and who like me, do not use the mail hosting program.

I logged onto the mail server through the Control Program tonight for the very first time and found 2997 messages sent to [email protected] dating back to 2004.

I only had the time to check the most recent hundred messages or so, but thankfully they are all junk mail and I deleted them.<
... See more
This is just an FYI for those of you who have a hosting account with ProZ and who like me, do not use the mail hosting program.

I logged onto the mail server through the Control Program tonight for the very first time and found 2997 messages sent to [email protected] dating back to 2004.

I only had the time to check the most recent hundred messages or so, but thankfully they are all junk mail and I deleted them.

I was not aware that you could accumulate mail without first setting up an e-mail account and so I wanted to let others know about this in case they are missing some important messages.

[Edited at 2006-12-18 07:31]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-12-18 14:48]
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
I have the same problem Dec 18, 2006

I do check my mail from time to time, and get hundreds of junk mail, though I haven’t given my address to anyone and nobody knows that I have opened a hosting account and bought a domain name through ProZ.com. I haven’t even uploaded a site yet. I wonder how spammers learned about that address.

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:56
English
+ ...
I robot! Dec 18, 2006

I have not set mine up either, so my mailbox is probably jammed with junk. The problem is so called robot programmes that never tire trawling the net for addresses or randomly generating addresses that might just be someone's name @ known site.com.

Unfortunately, this site is not the appropriate venue to discuss the motives behind these deliberate attempts to clog up the once efficient international e-mail system, since I suspect that those motives are probably political.
... See more
I have not set mine up either, so my mailbox is probably jammed with junk. The problem is so called robot programmes that never tire trawling the net for addresses or randomly generating addresses that might just be someone's name @ known site.com.

Unfortunately, this site is not the appropriate venue to discuss the motives behind these deliberate attempts to clog up the once efficient international e-mail system, since I suspect that those motives are probably political.

Until someone comes up with the perfect spam filter, we'll just have to learn to live with spending 15 minutes a day filtering and deleting hundreds of pieces of junk from the five to ten posts that we are actually interested in. Sigh... .-(
Collapse

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Good anti-spam program Dec 18, 2006

Hi guys,

I recently came across a good program (actually 2) which checks and deletes mail directly on the server without loading it to the computer. Poptray checks the server and only shows the sender's name and the message header. You can then use your mail client such as Outlook or Thunderbird to download the messages you need. The other program is K9 anti-spam filter which works together with Poptray. You can find more information on how to configure K9 to work with Poptray on p
... See more
Hi guys,

I recently came across a good program (actually 2) which checks and deletes mail directly on the server without loading it to the computer. Poptray checks the server and only shows the sender's name and the message header. You can then use your mail client such as Outlook or Thunderbird to download the messages you need. The other program is K9 anti-spam filter which works together with Poptray. You can find more information on how to configure K9 to work with Poptray on poptray forum under General Poptray. I set them up so that they delete all spam on the server without even notifying me. I highly recommend them both. Here are the links:
http://www.poptray.org
http://keir.net/k9.html
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Unrouted mail Dec 18, 2006

When you sign up for a hosting account, a default e-mail account is automatically created. All the unrouted mail is sent to that address. But, you can choose to have those unwanted messages sent to another address or you can choose to simply discard them.

Jason Grimes wrote a very useful article on the topic. You can find it in the Article Knowledgebase .

As to the normal spam, I'd like to add that en
... See more
When you sign up for a hosting account, a default e-mail account is automatically created. All the unrouted mail is sent to that address. But, you can choose to have those unwanted messages sent to another address or you can choose to simply discard them.

Jason Grimes wrote a very useful article on the topic. You can find it in the Article Knowledgebase .

As to the normal spam, I'd like to add that enabling SpamAssassin made my life much easier. It is incredibly efficient.

[Edited at 2006-12-18 12:08]
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
English
I would suggest trying SpamAssassin as well Dec 18, 2006

Hello everyone,

The general problem of SPAM seems to be getting worse and worse as the months pass by. There is a few different things you can do in your CPanel account though to filter some of the SPAM.

Try enabling SpamAssassin by logging into your CPanel account, clicking the 'Mail' menu item, and then the 'SpamAssassin' i
... See more
Hello everyone,

The general problem of SPAM seems to be getting worse and worse as the months pass by. There is a few different things you can do in your CPanel account though to filter some of the SPAM.

Try enabling SpamAssassin by logging into your CPanel account, clicking the 'Mail' menu item, and then the 'SpamAssassin' item in the list of mail options. Enable SpamAssassin, and you could see a decrease of SPAM making it to your inbox by 50 percent.

It's not a full proof method, but it does help!

Best regards,
Justin
Collapse

justin C
justin C
United States
English
Henrik: There are lists available on the net with recently registered domain names Dec 18, 2006

Hi Henrik,

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

I do check my mail from time to time, and get hundreds of junk mail, though I haven’t given my address to anyone and nobody knows that I have opened a hosting account and bought a domain name through ProZ.com. I haven’t even uploaded a site yet. I wonder how spammers learned about that address.

There are lists available on the internet of domains that were recently registered, which spammers then use to send SPAM to random email addresses at that domain. It's a terrible practice, and unfortunately there is not too much that can be done about it.

But you can rest assured that ProZ.com does not give away or sell any private information (such as email addresses and domain names) to anyone.

Hope that answers your question!

Best regards,
Justin

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Justin, Dec 18, 2006

justin wrote:

Hi Henrik,

There are lists available on the internet of domains that were recently registered, which spammers then use to send SPAM to random email addresses at that domain. It's a terrible practice, and unfortunately there is not too much that can be done about it.

But you can rest assured that ProZ.com does not give away or sell any private information (such as email addresses and domain names) to anyone.

Hope that answers your question!

Best regards,
Justin

Thank you for the information. I knew there was something like this, but didn’t know exactly where the spammers had dug my address.

As for ProZ.com selling my address, I know that it doesn’t. It would be rather strange to keep a professional translators’ site and sell the addresses of translators to the spammers. These are two entirely different businesses and mutually exclusive approaches. It would be the same if I sold my clients’ addresses to spammers:) That’s one of the shortest ways of closing the business. I have other domains, registered with other providers, and I am having the same problem there. I think there is one way out, to turn of the catch-all function and keep just one or two addresses with that domain name.

justin C
justin C
United States
English
Bingo! Dec 18, 2006

I think there is one way out, to turn of the catch-all function and keep just one or two addresses with that domain name.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:56
French to English
+ ...
Routing through Gmail Dec 19, 2006

Following a suggestion from a fellow translator on her blog (I would link here but I'm not sure I'm allowed) I set up all my email accounts to forward to my Gmail account, which has its own very good spam filter. I then collect messages from Gmail via Thunderbird, and hardly any spam reaches me. I was able to set up Gmail so I can use all my email addresses to send mail from there ('additional accounts') as well.

However, this didn't prevent spam from building up in my Proz-hosted i
... See more
Following a suggestion from a fellow translator on her blog (I would link here but I'm not sure I'm allowed) I set up all my email accounts to forward to my Gmail account, which has its own very good spam filter. I then collect messages from Gmail via Thunderbird, and hardly any spam reaches me. I was able to set up Gmail so I can use all my email addresses to send mail from there ('additional accounts') as well.

However, this didn't prevent spam from building up in my Proz-hosted inbox, which has caused me a few problems. The 'ageing' feature (which deletes messages that are above a certain age on logout of a POP3 session) doesn't work if the messages are being forwarded to another account before being picked up using POP3. So I've just enabled SpamAssassin, and I'll see how things go from here.
Collapse

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
About spam Dec 19, 2006

Sorry about my intrusion but I am more and more submerged with spam and I was wondering... Since there are so many clever software programmers out there, has anybody ever thought of creating a way/software/device that would allow us to make these unwanted messages bounce back to the sender, AS IF they hadn't been received (= as if my account had been suspended)?

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
It does exist Dec 19, 2006

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

Sorry about my intrusion but I am more and more submerged with spam and I was wondering... Since there are so many clever software programmers out there, has anybody ever thought of creating a way/software/device that would allow us to make these unwanted messages bounce back to the sender, AS IF they hadn't been received (= as if my account had been suspended)?

I'm using Mailwasher and that's one of its features. Now it doesn't help if - as often now - a fake sender address is used.
Florence

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Of course... Dec 19, 2006

too good to be true!
Thanks Florence. Someone had already suggested Mailwasher to me and I think it's high time I give it a try.
Sorry to all if this is going out of topic.

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Look at this page: Dec 19, 2006

http://www.whois.ws/whois_index/a/domain_list.a.0001.php . All domain names are listed here and anyone can access it. I don’t know what this list is for and how legal it is, but a simple program can extract millions of addresses from this list. It took me less than 60 seconds to make 5,000 e-mail addresses from this one page. No programming skills or special programs are needed;... See more
http://www.whois.ws/whois_index/a/domain_list.a.0001.php . All domain names are listed here and anyone can access it. I don’t know what this list is for and how legal it is, but a simple program can extract millions of addresses from this list. It took me less than 60 seconds to make 5,000 e-mail addresses from this one page. No programming skills or special programs are needed; I just pasted the contents of this page into Excel and added “info@” in the beginning of each domain name. So all I need is to use one of the bulk mailing programs to send spam to all these addresses. I am almost sure, 90% of these addresses will work. And this list consists of thousands of such pages. It’s no wonder that we receive this many junk messages.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2997 Messages in Website Mail Account (staff: 'try enabling SpamAssassin')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »